Best Classic M in Heat

LoudMouf

Starting Player
Can anyone help me out and give me some advice for the best Classic M for the heat?

I live in the Southwest (New Mexico) and we are getting 90+ degree weather and am looking for whatever ball will work best in the heat. I usually hit XRocks, Blue Sharks, and Thunder ZNs.

Country469

if its that hot use a classic plus instead. Will fly just as well and the better hops will favor your team.

TRaj2327

Yea the Gold Dot Extremes really are damn good balls. There seems to have been a bad or mislabeled batch of them though so if you get some that sound like total socks don't give up on them. The good ones sound and perform great.

TRaj2327

They have a composite cover just like the ZNs. Weird though that I can only seem to find synthetic on the website. We use them for GSL here.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
They Syco GSL ball is much better than the Pro Tac, but I still wouldn't necessarily call it good. I think all Classic Ms suck though, so there's that.

TRaj2327

Doesnt SYCO = synthetic cover? The ball we use certainly doesn't hit or feel like synthetic. I also don't remember it saying SYCO on it.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Syco is the composite I believe. It's almost 10 dollars more per dozen, so I'm 99% sure it's not synthetic. Freaking OH has some sort of agreement with Worth so that's all we can hit around here. We play mostly GSL and WSL anyway, but even freaking UTrip requires a Hot Dot.

Country469

I'm fairly surprised more directors aren't going to mandating which balls must be used to try and make more profit off the players.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
They don't really have to, but it would maximize their profit. Most of the guys I know buy all their balls at the fields anyway. They think it's more convenient and don't realize how much more they're paying.

MULuke

League Night Hero
Gold Dot Extremes. Rumor around KC regarding the "bad batch" TRaj2327 was talking about is that there were some that had a black dot instead of a gold dot, and they were actually NSA 52/275 that were mislabeled with the Utrip or GSL Classic M stamp. Make sure they have an actual gold dot on them instead of black and you should be good. I prefer the Gold Dot Extremes, then the Decker Sharks as a close 2nd. ZN's, xRocks, Evil aren't too far behind.

TRaj2327

Gold Dot Extremes. Rumor around KC regarding the "bad batch" TRaj2327 was talking about is that there were some that had a black dot instead of a gold dot, and they were actually NSA 52/275 that were mislabeled with the Utrip or GSL Classic M stamp. Make sure they have an actual gold dot on them instead of black and you should be good. I prefer the Gold Dot Extremes, then the Decker Sharks as a close 2nd. ZN's, xRocks, Evil aren't too far behind.

That is exactly what we noticed as well. Anything with the all black text on it was crap. If it had the gold it was GTG.

milesej05

The Rookie
regarding classic plus balls, last night it was 85° and about 80% humidity and our Evil balls outperformed the other teams Thunder HyCon's without a doubt. I was a firm believe in the HyCon's after a game I played earlier in the year when it was around 70° and low humidity but now I'm not so sure.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I never judge a ball's performance like that though. My team might just be underperforming. :D

Country469

Balls get a 50 lb variance they can fall within to make spec. so if its a classic plus, it could be anywhere from 52 225 to 52 325 depending on the batch. They all get the stamp falling within that range. So sometimes you will actually just get a better batch than other times, even with the same brand on ball.

TRaj2327

Correct. However, if they were indeed NSA balls it isn't just a difference of 50 lb. compression. It is a difference of 40/325 and 52/275. The two perform extremely differently to spec.

Regardless, the all black ones were terrible consistently and sounded NOTHING alike.

Country469

the 50 lb variance is for all model balls, all assocs. Not comparing a classic plus to a 52 275 at all here.

TRaj2327

I understand that. Someone previously mentioned that they felt it was a mislabeled NSA ball and not just a difference in the batch not being close to spec.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
the 50 lb variance is for all model balls, all assocs. Not comparing a classic plus to a 52 275 at all here.
I hear classic pluses compare favorably to 52/275s though.

Stupid UTrip and their names instead of just using the numbers, and then putting classic on balls that have never been used before. At least Classic Stadium would make more sense now as it's still the same numbers. Freaking Classic M and Plus. They're both Crystal Pepsi.

Country469

I understand that. Someone previously mentioned that they felt it was a mislabeled NSA ball and not just a difference in the batch not being close to spec.

Highly unlikely..........balls are made in giant batches by two factories in china. Would have been a MASSIVE mistake that effected a ton of balls and would likely have led to a recall at that point. Far more likely is they were compromised during shipping via heat or moisture.

I hear classic pluses compare favorably to 52/275s though.

Stupid UTrip and their names instead of just using the numbers, and then putting classic on balls that have never been used before. At least Classic Stadium would make more sense now as it's still the same numbers. Freaking Classic M and Plus. They're both Crystal Pepsi.

Classic plus and 52 275 are the same ball. Reason Utrip wants their classic logos on it, its because they don't want any nsa balls coming into play and losing money on stamps. Tourney director says we gotta use a 52 275 all of a sudden people can recycle those nsa balls, rather than buying 2 dozen balls that are essentially the same other than a stamp. Same reason nsa is 52 275 and asa is 52 300, same exact ball.

tattooball

If you are using the classic plus you should try the NX3, as for 52's and compression, they do not lose 50lbs due to heat. It is the least effected by heat of all of the softballs. Covers defiantly make a huge difference. Any cover that can be effected by heat or moisture is bad when it comes to the .52. There are many more than 2 factories making softballs world wide, and several are no longer in china.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
50lb is a big #. The reason Evils have been at the top of the performance board for 13 years is because our factory can control the variance better than any other polyurethane factory. So while 50lb may be the standard for most its not for Evil allowing us to be closer to the compression limit than any other company without going over.

Last edited: