Best Dudley .52/300

freak98guy

Place Clever Title Here
Looking to buy a dozen Dudley .52 300's. Wondering which will be the most durable of the 3? I will be using these for BP so the longer they stay decent, the better... Is the Thunder Heat worth the extra $/ will they stay harder longer? I know they make evil BP lites, I have a dozen. Going to try something else and see which holds up better.

Thunder Heat (I've never hit these - $63/ dozen)
Dudley 12" Leather ASA .52/300 Softball - Dozen 4A-065Y-DZ
COR: . 52/300 LBS
Leather Cover
Poly Center

Thunder SY (We use these in league - $49/ dozen)
Dudley 12" Synthetic ASA .52/300 Softball - Dozen 4A-069Y-EA
COR .52/300 LBS
Flat - Seems
Poly Center

Thunder ZN (I've never hit these - $47/ Dozen)
.52 COR - 300 lbs. Compression
Core: Solid Poly
Cover: Yellow Composite

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Sorry Jw but there is NO way in hell the composite cover on a ZN is more durable than the full leather cover used on a the Evil Ball. hate to say it but Your experience is not consistent with the masses or our last 5 years of testing.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
Sorry Jw but there is NO way in hell the composite cover on a ZN is more durable than the full leather cover used on a the Evil Ball. hate to say it but Your experience is not consistent with the masses or our last 5 years of testing.

Have not hit evil "game" balls but have hit the evil "BP" ball (orange and white with black writing) and the durability with those balls leave much to be desired

freak98guy

Place Clever Title Here
Not saying anything bad about Evil. Just trying something new. I may very well buy BP Lites on the next go round.

Marp09

Manager
Pretty sure he said he has a dozen and is looking for something else..... anyway zns are more durable than evils in my experience with both of them

yea don't think they are more durable. Ive had the regular bp evils and they lasted 4 years and rarely had any cut covers, only warping happened. Evil BPs are the best bang for buck especially when you can get 2 dozen for around 100.

SBG SHREK

Coach
I've had both the Dudley and Evil BP balls. I currently only have 5 dozen evils. :thumb:

Missing a dozen more rockets in the pic but you get the idea...
image_zps503ec61f.jpg

ZN's are the best. Heats are decent. Nothing wrong with them. SY's are horrible and are the first Dudley ball I've hit that are.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
ZN for the money seem to hold up very well and perform great I have three or four dozen been using for two seasons now and are holding up.. That's said I do have some fresh evil bp 52 and rockets that I will be using nxt spring..

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you don't care about performance for bp I'd get the SYs. They don't fly anywhere near as far, but the covers outlast the ZNs and the Synthetic is supposed to be the best about keeping out moisture which is key for bp balls IMO.

FULKnSEEDS

Addicted to Softballfans
Zn's hold up far better than evils. Evils have great performance when new but don't hold up in my experience

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The leather cover of Evils will hold up better than ZNs for bp. That's not even debatable. I've had ZNs get tiny tears on rocks the first time they were hit. If you're talking about performance that's one thing.

OP says they're for bp, so the longer they stay decent the better. If you'd rather have 10 feet of perfomance with half a cover, then I agree, the ZNs are the way to go. I'd rather have solid round balls. It's not like the others in this thread will egg up before the ZNs will rip. If you hit on a nice field with no fence the ZNs would be good choice.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
How many years? The majority of the balls in my bp bag predate ZNs.

I wasn't aware my experience could be wrong. That's for telling me. I guess I was seeing things.

RC#13

Part Time Player
The leather cover of Evils will hold up better than ZNs for bp. That's not even debatable. I've had ZNs get tiny tears on rocks the first time they were hit. If you're talking about performance that's one thing.

OP says they're for bp, so the longer they stay decent the better. If you'd rather have 10 feet of perfomance with half a cover, then I agree, the ZNs are the way to go. I'd rather have solid round balls. It's not like the others in this thread will egg up before the ZNs will rip. If you hit on a nice field with no fence the ZNs would be good choice.

I too sir, WOULD RATHER HAVE SOLID ROUND BALLS!!! I am in total agreement!!

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
If you're just hitting onto a field, go with composite, if you're hitting where the ball will be smacking into fences, trees, and buildings I would typically say get a synthetic but I would never say get a Dudley SY in a 52cor ball. For whatever reason the Dudley SY's in 52cor are the worst 52cor out there. I wouldn't bother with leather at all and synthetic cover balls will also tear, they're just a hair tougher usually.

Having said all that, get the Tattoo NX3 1pc ball, more durable than synthetic & fly like a composite. Best value out there.

FULKnSEEDS

Addicted to Softballfans
So wrong with this. I got plenty of zns for bp proably around 50 and have hit then for years for bp and the covers hold up the same as the leather evils or thunder heats I have as well. They might get small dings in the cover from hitting fences or concrete but my leather balls do the same. I bp proably more then most guys and would recommend composite covers over leather for bp because..... they are cheaper than leather..... imo perform better than leather..... and also imo the covers hold up the same as leather which both covers getting small nicks and tears from hitting concrete.

I 100% agree with this. I have zn's that are several years old. Couple nics here and there but no tears. I'm sure the evil cover may hold up but I've had several evils egg up. Both evil Bp and leather balls.

Dan411

Star Player
I will throw in another vote for the ZN's. They seem to be more durable and hold their shape better. I have had some SY's. The cover on those are very very durable, but performance falls short. The Evils do resist tearing, but I don't like how the leather responds to getting wet frequently for BP.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
For whatever reason the cores on SYs go to crap quick. I don't get much out of those balls before they're lopsided and trashed.

For what they cost I'd just get the ZNs. Way more satisfying to hit anyway.

This^ Definitely more difference than just the cover.

freak98guy

Place Clever Title Here
Thanks to all who have responded. Good info and opinions here. For what it's worth, I went with the ZN's this time around. I'll report back with my 2 cents after some use.

Chico_O

Bat Addict
SY's for BP (used them 2 years in a row for league play) they hold up great in a single game use- we usually never use the same ball- always a fresh ball per game, and depending on the field, multiple fresh balls.
Had zero issues with them- they don't fly near as well as the ZN's, as i feel they fly different in different playing conditions. Heats are overpriced.

ZN's and SY's we have from past years still hold up great for BP- I mean its BP- if you hit a mangled SY core 300 ft, I'd say you're doing something right....

But honestly for just BP purposes I think if you can get a great deal on either, get em- if you are looking for straight performance- go ZN's as I feel they are more consistent in all areas of consideration- heat/cold, humidity, durability, flight, spin and distance.