Best Glove for Extremely Large Hands?

mrwig

I play casual softball in a men's league most of the year. I just got back into playing after over a decade of inactivity and my little league glove (which was the only glove that could fit me as a teenager) has reached the end of its life.

I'm about 6'10" and have extremely large hands, so my biggest problem is finding a glove that I can actually get down all the way to my wrist. Last fall I borrowed a 14' Mizuno (GSP1403 I think), that I liked a lot. My only beef with that glove is that I play first base and I'd prefer an open web glove.

I'm looking for a fairly soft, well padded glove that will fit my hand well and has an open catching web. I'm not against purchasing a first base mitt either, it's just that I can't find any larger than 13". I really liked the soft feel of the Mizuno as well as the velcro strap (which is almost a must for me). So I'm looking for something along those lines.

I'd like to spend $80, but would be willing to go up to $125 if I could find something I can put my entire hand into.

Country35

Banned User
pm one of the Vinci Reps....the can probably hook you up with a great glove to fit you hand...JCA is a great guy, I'm sure if he can he'll help you out

MaverickAH

Welcome to the board!

Okay........ The first thing I would to would be to try to dissuade you from an open web glove in that size for two reasons.

1. They degrade glove stability.
2. They're not readily available.

Gloves I would recommend:

Mizuno MVP GMVP1401
Worth Mayhem MAY140 (no velcro strap)
Louisville Slugger Helix HS1402
Wilson A0700 SP14BST (open web, no velcro)

The Worth or Mizuno would be my first choice. If you want a first base mitt with your qualifications, you're going to have to go the custom route which will blow your budget out of the water.

LineDriver5

Gloves > Bats
Try boombah they have some nice 13.5" h web.. Or try the kylin 14" that's in he sale section.. Velcro typicallyeans cheap.. Not in all cases, but most...

BigBL87

29 oz, you say?
You might, might be able to find a used 14" Vinci for that price. My BR45 (higher end, cost me $160 slightly used) is 14.25" and fits my large hands well.

House00

Slingin' lead!
I play casual softball in a men's league most of the year. I just got back into playing after over a decade of inactivity and my little league glove (which was the only glove that could fit me as a teenager) has reached the end of its life.

I'm about 6'10" and have extremely large hands, so my biggest problem is finding a glove that I can actually get down all the way to my wrist. Last fall I borrowed a 14' Mizuno (GSP1403 I think), that I liked a lot. My only beef with that glove is that I play first base and I'd prefer an open web glove.

I'm looking for a fairly soft, well padded glove that will fit my hand well and has an open catching web. I'm not against purchasing a first base mitt either, it's just that I can't find any larger than 13". I really liked the soft feel of the Mizuno as well as the velcro strap (which is almost a must for me). So I'm looking for something along those lines.

I'd like to spend $80, but would be willing to go up to $125 if I could find something I can put my entire hand into.

thats a big effing glove sir... were u fielding smart cars??:p

i use a 14" glove myself. i have a mizuno premier or something like that that is pretty big... i just ordered a rodriguez 14" glove... dont know how it will compare in size to my mizuno. well see... u can also buy a 15" mayhem bfg from sbf, but be careful... i had one that ripped whilst breaking it in just throwing a ball into it:rolleyes:

shawn400ft

Retired Army Vet

Ever think of just killing a moose, cutting its ass off and using that? You are one big mofo bro.:D

The Mad Hatter

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm also a big guy at 6'8" and left handed and have problems with fielding gloves that fit. Two recent gloves I've found that work pretty well are the Worth Mayhem and Mizuno MVP (per Maverick's post - great one BTW). The Mizuno had an especially big hand well, and both protected the palm of my hand very well. I have since purchased an Akadema 15" glove but the hand well is just too small, and I'll probably resell it on ebay or something. I tried the Worth BFG (15") and that had a huge hand well. I think I spent $79 on the Mizuno and Worth. The BFG can be had for a bit cheaper ($54) at various sites. The leather is not the best on any of these but if you take good care of them they should last a while before you have to replace.

Live4Brew

All Stock.

That's funny you mentioned the Mizuno. I shopped for a few years for my new glove - I bought the Mizuno like you mentioned). I couldn't find anything to fit my hand either till I tried the Mizuno. I've been extremely pleased with it.

House00

Slingin' lead!
That's funny you mentioned the Mizuno. I shopped for a few years for my new glove - I bought the Mizuno like you mentioned). I couldn't find anything to fit my hand either till I tried the Mizuno. I've been extremely pleased with it.

my 14" mizuno has been the best glove ive had... ive had it for 10 seasons... 10 years for $90, you cant beat that:cool:

mnball

Addicted to Softballfans
I play with a guy who is 6'11 and he uses a 16" Worth prodigy glove that was custom made for another large individual and its an awesome glove, not cheap at all. Obviously its quote un quote illegal to have this size but not many guys are this big. he got the glove from a mutual friend of ours who was a Worth rep at the time. FYI , he wears a size 22 shoe also.

TRaj2327

I don't doubt that you have a big hand but a common misconception is that the glove is supposed to go all the way to your wrist. The glove is an extension of your hand and is better called a mitt to cut the confusion. As we all know, you are supposed to catch the ball out in the fingers and web and not down where it hurts. Best of luck on your search.

MaverickAH

Carpenter glove co. makes a custom glove to your specs, but pricey.

No can do....... Until further notice, they're only making gloves for pro players.

> > > NOTICE < < <
Carpenter Trade will not be accepting new glove orders until further notice. At this time we are focused on completing our most innovative glove model to date for the 2011 baseball season. Glove production will be exclusive to pro players during this period. We are working to improve our ability to meet the increased demand that we experienced last year. Updates will be posted here as soon as we anticipate accepting new orders.

mrwig

Thanks for the advice guys. I'd like to get a new glove so I can break it with my own hand. Like some people mentioned, I sort of fell in love with the Mizuno 14" that I was able to borrow. One of my worries was that their MVP line might have a smaller well than the Premiere glove I was using. I'd like to get something a little nicer than the velcro Mizuno I borrowed--it was nice, but I found myself constantly pulling on the wrist strap and I got the vibe that as soft as it was it might not be all that rugged.

I realize the gloves aren't necessarily supposed to go all the way down to the wrist, but in my experience, most gloves that don't (on my hand) interfere with the stability. I've worn so many gloves that wobble because I can't get the base of my palm fully into the mitt, and that is want I avoid.

One of the infuriating things about this search has been combing through message boards and reading suggestions and people reaching decisions but then not replying about how such and such a glove worked out, so I'll make sure I won't be guilty of doing that.

I'm probably going to go with Maverick's suggestion and pick up the 14" MVP. I'll be sure to repost and let everyone know how it works out.