Best Ichiro glove? - Mizuno GCP51 vs GMP70BK vs GPS1-700DS

thevarietyshow

First off, I want to say I have been searching for the Ichiro glove and have not made the jump yet. I know they are hard to find and are getting too damn expensive. With that being said, I unfortunately do not know enough to tell which I should get as I have found all 3 of these available. I know the GPS1 isn't even an Ichiro glove but I can get it at a really good price (this glove didn't seem very deep at all). I also see that Mizuno has the 12.75'' Pro Series Glove which looks nearly identical outside of color scheme as some of the Ichiro gloves. I saw something about a Mizuno MIJ but I don't know what that means (Sorry, I am somewhat a noobian, clearly as I posted in the wrong group initially). Is there a ranking of the Ichiro gloves from best to worst? The glove game is so extensive so my apologies.

I was just wondering what is the best one to get? I need something that gets wide and goes deep....o_O. I also want it lightweight as well. I got a Nokona Alpha Select - 7T and its just ok to me. Still working on the full break in, but I have a problem and just want that Ichiro glove.

Thanks for any help in advance.

littleman13

The Veteran
I have a GCP51 with the "Ichiro" embroidery. I like it for outfield then have a GCP17 with a GMP50 web for infield. It's soft leather, about to relace it though, the OG lace isn't great. Haven't tried the others.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
At this point, a comparison of how great they each are might not be the right comparison as most of the older ones you find will be, to some degree, used (and sometimes waaay used).

IIRC, the GCP51 gloves I worked on were a different pattern than the GMP70 with the GCP51 longer than the GMP70 (both equally deep though). I think the newer GMP2-700 gloves are longer than the old GMP70, so closer to a Ichiro model (although likely the same basic pattern as the GPS1). You also gotta find one with the right web.

thevarietyshow

If you can get the gmp 70bk for a good price I would grab that. It is made out of the deguchi leather.
Yup, I did it, and it is really fantastic, not game ready yet. I don't want to use it for playing 2nd, but for OF, its gonna be fire when its ready to go!

thevarietyshow

I have a GCP51 with the "Ichiro" embroidery. I like it for outfield then have a GCP17 with a GMP50 web for infield. It's soft leather, about to relace it though, the OG lace isn't great. Haven't tried the others.
Yeah, I have a problem, and I will probably end up getting the GCP51 as well, the GMP 70BK and the deguchi leather is good lord amazing! I want to see what that GCP51 is like tho, I have read up that people actually prefer it over the GMP 70, but I want to know first hand ha! I told you, I got problems haha!

thevarietyshow

At this point, a comparison of how great they each are might not be the right comparison as most of the older ones you find will be, to some degree, used (and sometimes waaay used).

IIRC, the GCP51 gloves I worked on were a different pattern than the GMP70 with the GCP51 longer than the GMP70 (both equally deep though). I think the newer GMP2-700 gloves are longer than the old GMP70, so closer to a Ichiro model (although likely the same basic pattern as the GPS1). You also gotta find one with the right web.
So luckily, the GMP70 was in new condition, only a bit dry, but I am working on getting some Nokona Glove Conditioner, and so far, its popping back to life, I am excited because it seems to want to GRAB the ball, way different from what I am used to which is gonna be great! The funny thing is, I actually like a 12.5 size to use in the OF, I was super hesistant with going 12.75 but I barely notice anything at all with the GMP70. Granted I haven't gamed with it yet, but I normally could feel the difference. So with your comment of essentially the GMP70 being shorter, I love it! I am sick tho and will probably get the GCP51 if I can. I missed out on a new black one a couple of months back and I have been kicking myself ever since.

Drumbum37

Addicted to Softballfans
So luckily, the GMP70 was in new condition, only a bit dry, but I am working on getting some Nokona Glove Conditioner, and so far, its popping back to life, I am excited because it seems to want to GRAB the ball, way different from what I am used to which is gonna be great! The funny thing is, I actually like a 12.5 size to use in the OF, I was super hesistant with going 12.75 but I barely notice anything at all with the GMP70. Granted I haven't gamed with it yet, but I normally could feel the difference. So with your comment of essentially the GMP70 being shorter, I love it! I am sick tho and will probably get the GCP51 if I can. I missed out on a new black one a couple of months back and I have been kicking myself ever since.

I got one I need to relace, but I’ll sell it to ya. Gcp51 that is.

Drumbum37

Addicted to Softballfans
I’m also the self-appointed Mizuno guy around here. Though there are others with more gloves and more knowledge :rolleyes: