Best slowpitch outfield glove and size

AydenB00

The Rookie
there is no such thing as the best glove
sure there is cause when i looked up best softball glove these came up....its right there on the internet for all to see
Best Softball Gloves
  • Easton Salvo Elite Softball Glove – Double Deep Palm Design. ...
  • Rawlings Liberty Advanced Softball Glove – Paron XRD Palm and Index Finger Pad. ...
  • Mizuno MVP Prime SE Gloves – Ultra-Slim Palm Liner. ...
  • Mizuno Premier Slowpitch or Fastpitch Softball Glove – Parashock Palm Pads.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
wanting to buy a slowpitch outfield glove. Have always used baseball glove. What size and glove do you recommend

I have played with outfielders who use 12.5" gloves and some that use 14" gloves (and guess which ones caught more balls?). If you were a pretty good baseball outfielder, I think a 12.75"-13" baseball glove (e.g. Rawlings Pro3039 or 3030) would be a good choice. If you are more of a rec player that needs more margin for error, maybe a 13.5" glove would give you more confidence. Find a store with some selection and try a bunch on (not a good time of year for that though).

bigjbowski16

Addicted to Softballfans
I’ve had just about all of the patterns out there and the Wilson 1799 and the Rawlings 3030 are the top in my opinion. If I had to choose one, 13” 3030 would be my choice.

das028

Seems to me guys coming from baseball prefer baseball style glove up to 12.75.

Ive tried them all and prefer 13.5 to 14 everywhere on the field. Must be a deep pocket though. Even in the infield. I prefer short/deep to long/shallow

Another thing. Check out what the majors are using. You wont find to many glove under 13in anywhere on tge field.

MaverickAH

I have played with outfielders who use 12.5" gloves and some that use 14" gloves (and guess which ones caught more balls?). If you were a pretty good baseball outfielder, I think a 12.75"-13" baseball glove (e.g. Rawlings Pro3039 or 3030) would be a good choice. If you are more of a rec player that needs more margin for error, maybe a 13.5" glove would give you more confidence. Find a store with some selection and try a bunch on (not a good time of year for that though).

This is the correct answer.

I would add that there are so many other factors to consider with one makes a glove decision.
Level of play
How much you play
Where you play
Willingness or ability to break in a glove
How much are you willing to spend
How you like your glove to play
How much you want to put into glove maintenance
Style preference.

I'm sure that I'm forgetting a few........

jkwoody22

League ball huer
Yeah but those guys hit the ball so frickin hard they need the extra length for protection, Wilson 1799 or sp135 if you need longer or Rawlings pro3030 (bh34) 13”

WillW3

Starting Player
This is the correct answer.

I would add that there are so many other factors to consider with one makes a glove decision.
Level of play
How much you play
Where you play
Willingness or ability to break in a glove
How much are you willing to spend
How you like your glove to play
How much you want to put into glove maintenance
Style preference.

I'm sure that I'm forgetting a few........
This. It’s like a “best bat” discussion all over again.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
the best one is the one that takes off 40 lbs

This made me chuckle. You see guys on here arguing over whether 1/4" of glove makes a difference and odds are good that nobody involved could make it up a flight of stairs without getting winded.

Having said that, I'll give my own fat-boy opinion; I use a 12.75" glove that actually measures closer to 13" (Wilson ELOBB). I fought with that glove when I first got it and I had myself convinced that it wasn't the glove for me. I kept trying to break it in wide and it just wanted to play long and narrow. I got frustrated, unlaced the fingertip laces, and re-tied them with a solid 1/4"+ gap between each finger. BOOM, completely changed, didn't even feel like the same glove. It wasn't any longer, only a little wider, but the FEEL changed completely. Whatever glove size you decide on, just try it with the fingertip laces slacked off. It feels like liners and fly balls hit the glove softer than they actually do and the glove seems to close automatically on impact.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
A Vinci BMB OB = a Wilson ELO w a wide pocket, a floppy thumb, thinner leather, and ****ty internals.

And a retail price higher than what I sniped the A2000 for on the bay.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
A Vinci BMB OB = a Wilson ELO w a wide pocket, a floppy thumb, thinner leather, and ****ty internals.

I wasnt dissing the ELO, so why the Vinci dis?
BTW, thumb issue fixed, all new gloves now have glove leather internals....
Also Wilsons are steer hide, and you can get two levels ( 5 oz and 6 oz) of Kip ina Vinci. Oh and a steer hide model also.
Lets not fight now boys, LOL

MaverickAH

The Vinci comment is so 5 years ago that it isn't funny......... It's interesting how everyone talks about how 44PRO, Gloveworks, etc. have improved their gloves over the years but somehow you think that Vinci has remained stagnant. They haven't......... Vinci has probably done more to improve their gloves than just about anyone else. It'd be more prudent of you to try a current production Vinci Limited Series (the gloves you comment refers to.......) before to rehash old issues as current ones. You'll find that your opinions are out-of-date & incorrect!

ShortYellowBus

Hilts is a troll that contributes both nothing to sbf and spews dog**** to contradictory’s disposition.

There’s nothing to his mind for consideration. Worthy of permanence-ignore.

I’d rather.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I wasnt dissing the ELO, so why the Vinci dis?
BTW, thumb issue fixed, all new gloves now have glove leather internals....
Also Wilsons are steer hide, and you can get two levels ( 5 oz and 6 oz) of Kip ina Vinci. Oh and a steer hide model also.
Lets not fight now boys, LOL

The Vinci comment is so 5 years ago that it isn't funny......... It's interesting how everyone talks about how 44PRO, Gloveworks, etc. have improved their gloves over the years but somehow you think that Vinci has remained stagnant. They haven't......... Vinci has probably done more to improve their gloves than just about anyone else. It'd be more prudent of you to try a current production Vinci Limited Series (the gloves you comment refers to.......) before to rehash old issues as current ones. You'll find that your opinions are out-of-date & incorrect!

You guys have thinner skin than a pre-2012 Vinci.

Hilts is a troll that contributes both nothing to sbf and spews dog**** to contradictory’s disposition.

There’s nothing to his mind for consideration. Worthy of permanence-ignore.

I’d rather.

Just curious; what is your first language?

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
wanting to buy a slowpitch outfield glove. Have always used baseball glove. What size and glove do you recommend

Back to the OP , I find that baseball players dislike big, long and unbalanced glove. Try a 12" with more width, less length. I think it will help you adjust to the bigger ball and allow you to feel comfortable with a smaller glove on your hand. If you like traps at all, even most 12.75" can be adjusted to accommodate the bigger diameter softball. I usually pull lace down from the finger tips and widen the lace at the palm, going smaller as I get up to the finger tips.
https://ibb.co/hj5KAz
Bord_trap.jpg

Hiltz

Built for comfort
If you like traps at all, even most 12.75" can be adjusted to accommodate the bigger diameter softball. I usually pull lace down from the finger tips and widen the lace at the palm, going smaller as I get up to the finger tips.

Doing this not only widens/deepens the pocket, it tightens the web up at the tip which can be a problem area for traps.

MaverickAH

You guys have thinner skin than a pre-2012 Vinci.

So you should just be allowed to spout baseless trash about a brand that has arguably made some of the best softball gloves for the last 20+ years?
  • They had an issue with a run of Limited Series gloves a few years ago & it was remedied in fairly quick fashion.
  • They constantly take unannounced steps to improve their products.
  • Their current Limited Series is extremely well-made. A2000/HOH have nothing on them.
  • In fact, their 22/PC Series can hold its own against stock A2000/HOH gloves to a great degree & at a much lower cost.
Yeah, I know that people like taking pot shots at Steve when he promotes Vinci but when you spout stuff like that you cause harm to a brand that has been loyal to the softball community since the days of the Mohr Board. The bottom line is that Vinci makes great gloves that can be mentioned in the same sentence as any other brand & they deserve consideration when people ae considering a new glove.

"..........thinner skin than a pre-2012 Vinci."

That statement alone tells me that you know absolutely nothing about Vinci & the different series & models they've offered over the years. That's like me looking at an A800 or a Gold Glove & trashing all Wilson & Rawlings gloves....... :rolleyes:

jkwoody22

League ball huer
22 series is garbage I had a newer one couldn’t even stay closed to keep the ball in, what gets me is reps can’t say anything about brands and frowned upon but these Vinci guys can get away it, 20 years of good gloves huh, I don’t think so, maybe the new optimus? ones are, but I always hear smarkley rep his brand, his opinion and job, but it gets old, it almost Monsta like cult, Vinci seems like a good company and I agree is trying, but they are not on par with the bigger companies and these reps are just being in denial

Hiltz

Built for comfort
...what gets me is reps can’t say anything about brands and frowned upon but these Vinci guys can get away it...

Often wondered this myself seeing how Vinci isn't sold by the store.

...but I always hear smarkley rep his brand, his opinion and job, but it gets old, it almost Monsta like cult...

Hence my original comment. I was talking about loosening laces to make a glove play wider and then out of nowhere there's a one-man Vinci circle-jerk started. So I made a joke to shut it down and apparently I offended some of the "senior" board members who take things too personally.

Fact is, I don't care about Vinci one way or another. I've only seen one in person. It was a 22 Series that a teammate had for one year before a fingertip lace ripped clean through the leather on the side of the index finger. The Limited series looks nice, but for $230-$240? I'd rather spend a little more for an A2000 or spend $159 on a Gloveworks custom and arguably get a better glove.

And before I'm accused of being a brand-huer, I'll go on record and say I don't like Rawlings. HOH, Pro-Preferred, whatever. I think they're overrated and overpriced. The best glove I've ever owned (leather quality, internals, construction, everything) is a Louisville Evolution that I got for $80 new.

MaverickAH

Often wondered this myself seeing how Vinci isn't sold by the store.

Hence my original comment. I was talking about loosening laces to make a glove play wider and then out of nowhere there's a one-man Vinci circle-jerk started. So I made a joke to shut it down and apparently I offended some of the "senior" board members who take things too personally.

Fact is, I don't care about Vinci one way or another. I've only seen one in person. It was a 22 Series that a teammate had for one year before a fingertip lace ripped clean through the leather on the side of the index finger. The Limited series looks nice, but for $230-$240? I'd rather spend a little more for an A2000 or spend $159 on a Gloveworks custom and arguably get a better glove.

And before I'm accused of being a brand-huer, I'll go on record and say I don't like Rawlings. HOH, Pro-Preferred, whatever. I think they're overrated and overpriced. The best glove I've ever owned (leather quality, internals, construction, everything) is a Louisville Evolution that I got for $80 new.

So you've only seen one 22 Series glove yet you felt the need to parrot comments you've read elsewhere & have no personal experience of?

Worse yet is that you don't see a problem with that.........

Louisville Slugger Evolution............. A $250 glove that was OEM'd for LS by Insignia. When they didn't sell well, they were mostly auctioned off for sub $100 prices. Solid gloves but they weren't even the best that Insignia offered! They were great gloves to pick up for your youth or high schooler though! If that's the best glove you've ever owned, you shouldn't be offering much of any commentary. js.........

Personally, I really don't care what anyone uses be it a $50 glove or a $500 glove. That's their personal decision & there are a lot of good glove brands out there. What you have proven yourself to have done is written commentary on a brand that you have absolutely no experience with. That's way below the belt IMHO.

Joker

these old guys got their balls in a twist. 700 words dissertations about why a company that outlived their 15 minutes of fame 5 years ago is still relevant when it isn't