Best turf shoes

AshD

Coach
I swear by the Adidas Vigor trail shoes. I've tried countless turf/trail shoes and I'm most satisfied with the Vigors. Durable and affordable and really comfortable. I play mostly infield, but I haven't ever had a problem with them when I've had to play outfield.

knuckleball14

Addicted to Softballfans
I have had the Mizuno Blasts (2012 season) and the Mizuno Erupts (2013 season). Both were comfortable and provided good traction (except on wet grass). My only problem with them is that they did not last an entire season for me. Both pairs tore the mesh along the sides where forefoot flexes (where the mesh meets the leather). I think part of the problem is because I pitch, am constantly moving dirt around to level out the ground, and the mesh gets filled with the dirt from the infield. That dirt along with sweat would work its way into the mesh, dry up, and then act like sandpaper cutting its way through the mesh. If I washed the dirt out of the mesh each night they seemed to last a little longer. This past fall I doctored up both pairs with black RTV silicone sealant. That was enough to get me through 2013 without having to buy another pair.

Today, I purchased a pair of the Salomon Fellraiser. Their tread pattern looks like they provide a little better lateral stability than the Salomon Speedcross 3. The Salomon website lists the stability of the Fellraiser as a 3 out of 5 and lists the stability of the Speedcross 3 as a 2 out of 5. I primarily pitch or play OF. If I remember to do so, I will provide some feedback with my review of the Salomon Fellraisers for both pitcher and OF'er.
2272492-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

qhendrix

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm unsure of your point. I was referring to limitations of equipment when applied outside of its design. I think what happened with Ginobli's shoe was a materials or production flaw. I don't think it was a design flaw.

I was thinking the same thing. Most running style shoes are designed for flat foot or heel strike and straight line motion. Most athletic style shoes are made for forefoot strike with more support for lateral movements. I've read that the Salomons have very little support for lateral movements. I bought a pair of NB trail runners (? model) last year and found them to have very little forefoot cushion and very little stability. They felt great just walking around. I have been wanting to try a pair of the 3n2 momentums but they never have size 11 in the black mids. :(

Yeah, everyone is going to go all Ginobli on the field now. BTW, his shoe was made for lateral movement and he still blew right through it.

IrishRich

Addicted to Softballfans
I got the Boombahs..tried them last night. Comfortable, light weight and good traction. No complaints. I have wide feet, so I ordered a half size up and it was good.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I got the Boombahs..tried them last night. Comfortable, light weight and good traction. No complaints. I have wide feet, so I ordered a half size up and it was good.

First inspections were rarely the problem with Boombah footwear.......durability was the most common complaint (outside of shipping costs).

Check back in July and let us know where you stand.

Ozzy3313

Addicted to Softballfans
Those Fellraisers look sick! And less expensive than the Speedcross.

Anybody ever try these Columbias?
columbia1.png
[/URL][/IMG]
columbia.png
[/URL][/IMG]

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
Those Fellraisers look sick! And less expensive than the Speedcross.

Anybody ever try these Columbias?
columbia1.png
[/URL][/IMG]
columbia.png
[/URL][/IMG]

I tried some of these on but didn't think the tread pattern was nearly as aggressive as I expected.

Ozzy3313

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm also liking the Reebok Outdoor Wild but don't love just the straight black or the other crazy colors they've got.

Anybody try these Reeboks? About the same price as the outdoor wilds.

17HnH

Old Made New Glove Relacing Owner
I loved my Asic lacrosse turfs. Good traction, lightweight, and excellent lateral movement. They are fine in terms of comfort for 2 games. Three games and my feet start to feel it, but not that bad. I bought a pair of Salamon Speedcross 3's last fall. I have a narrow foot so they fit fine. Comfortable - very comfortable. Very light and excellent infield traction. I don't mind the price as they are very well built. They are made for straight ahead movement and I noticed that pretty quick playing SS. I'm going to give them another try this spring, but I actually went back to my Asic's. If I played outfield I would wear them for sure. I'm 5'9" and 155 for reference.

Just wore my Salamon's last night for a double header. LOVE my Asics, but no way I'm going back to them after using the Speedcross 3's. Played infield (4 and 5 man) and ran the bases aggressively. My concern was lateral movement and I didn't notice any agility issues at all. Again, I have a narrow foot, but our LC fielder has a very wide foot and he loves his Speedcross 3's as well. Grip - 10 Comfort - 10 Weight - 10 Lateral movement - 9 Look - 5 (not a fan of the black and lime green but they were on clearance) Run true to size.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
I'll still stick with my 3n2 turfs. I've tried trail runners before and I just don't care for the grip compared to my turfs. But I wonder why so many (if you REALLY want trail runners) aren't looking into other brands.

Dynafit MS Feline (Great trail runner)
La Sportiva ******** (no space when searching... Similar to Speedcross - My anaco nda don't want none unless you...nevermind)
Saucony PowerGrid Xodus 4.0 (All my street runners are saucony - i assume these would be good) - These come with GTX as well if you wanted waterproof...
Puma Faas 500TR (Be sure you search for the TR series)
Montrail Fairhaven or Badwater (both not as aggressive, but decent treads)
Inov-8 Mudclaw 300 Trail (These things are crazy!!!!)
Inov-8 Ro****e
Inov-8 X-Talon 190 (Buddy has these and loves em - he uses them for trail running though, not softball)
La Sportiva Helios (not quite as aggressive in tread)
La Sportiva C-Lite
Brooks PureGrit (used to only use Brooks running shoes)
Mammut MTR 201
Icebug Acceleritas or Anima (LOL, these things are amazing)

Just so many trail runners out there with decent tread. Does no one here know about the new search engined called GOOGLE?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ozzy3313

Addicted to Softballfans
I'll still stick with my 3n2 turfs. I've tried trail runners before and I just don't care for the grip compared to my turfs. But I wonder why so many (if you REALLY want trail runners) aren't looking into other brands.

Dynafit MS Feline (Great trail runner)
La Sportiva ******** (Similar to Speedcross - My ******** don't want none unless you...nevermind)
Saucony PowerGrid Xodus 4.0 (All my street runners are saucony - i assume these would be good) - These come with GTX as well if you wanted waterproof...
Puma Faas 500TR (Be sure you search for the TR series)
Montrail Fairhaven or Badwater (both not as aggressive, but decent treads)
Inov-8 Mudclaw 300 Trail (These things are crazy!!!!)
Inov-8 Ro****e
Inov-8 X-Talon 190 (Buddy has these and loves em - he uses them for trail running though, not softball)
La Sportiva Helios (not quite as aggressive in tread)
La Sportiva C-Lite
Brooks PureGrit (used to only use Brooks running shoes)
Mammut MTR 201
Icebug Acceleritas or Anima (LOL, these things are amazing)

Just so many trail runners out there with decent tread. Does no one here know about the new search engined called GOOGLE?

Good post man. A lot of these seem to be in the Speedcross 3 price range of $100+. I've seen a few of them but this list is good. It should open up some other options for sure. I just ordered the Adidas Vigor 3. I had the Vigor 2 last year and like them. So I thought these would be good and these seem to be even a bit more thick and heavy duty. The Vigor 2 seemed a bit flemsy by the end of the season. Love the look of the gray too and for $60 I'm happy.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
Good post man. A lot of these seem to be in the Speedcross 3 price range of $100+. I've seen a few of them but this list is good. It should open up some other options for sure. I just ordered the Adidas Vigor 3. I had the Vigor 2 last year and like them. So I thought these would be good and these seem to be even a bit more thick and heavy duty. The Vigor 2 seemed a bit flemsy by the end of the season. Love the look of the gray too and for $60 I'm happy.

La Sportiva has a VERY similar look to the way the Adidas logo is written. I wonder who came up with it first. :)

Some of the new Adidas Outdoor shoes (kind of a sub company) are way better build for endurance than the Vigors I've found. I got a pair of Adidas Outdoor Terrex Fast X hiking boots that are just AMAZING! But again, these come from the Adidas Outdoor sub company

Shortyaz69

Addicted to Softballfans
Just wore my Salamon's last night for a double header. LOVE my Asics, but no way I'm going back to them after using the Speedcross 3's. Played infield (4 and 5 man) and ran the bases aggressively. My concern was lateral movement and I didn't notice any agility issues at all. Again, I have a narrow foot, but our LC fielder has a very wide foot and he loves his Speedcross 3's as well. Grip - 10 Comfort - 10 Weight - 10 Lateral movement - 9 Look - 5 (not a fan of the black and lime green but they were on clearance) Run true to size.

I love my Speedcross 3's. I've had a few pairs, and I've always recommended them as one of the best options out there. Just got my Fellraisers this week, and I will never look back. As far as on field use goes, Fellraiser is superior in every way(especially lateral movement). Just my opinion.

exccsracer

Scrooge McBase
I need to pick up some turf shoes because my heels are starting to kill me, but I play the OF mostly and many times the grass is wet/slick here. Are turf shoes going to be an issue? Also, I normally wear an 11-11.5 4E (wide) in cleats. What do you guys think is the best turf shoe for my situation?

thanks

I have no idea of your skill or effort level, but under wet/slick grass conditions, I wouldn't wear a turf shoe. These guys have listed some super nice shoes for dry conditions but I don't think I could trust anything other than a cleat.

ADFerg

The Veteran
I have no idea of your skill or effort level, but under wet/slick grass conditions, I wouldn't wear a turf shoe. These guys have listed some super nice shoes for dry conditions but I don't think I could trust anything other than a cleat.

Have you tried?

SlapHappy

Addicted to Softballfans

Same here. I'd only wear a turf if it's dry and I'm playing infield. Wet and/or OF, cleat.

Have you tried?

Yes, with a few different turfs.

exccsracer

Scrooge McBase
Have you tried?

Yes.

I currently have Mizuno Franchise 7 cleats, Mizuno Speed Trainers, and NB T4040. I've tried all of them wet and dry. On game day I have a cleat and a turf in the bag. The New Balance are my preferred shoe whenever possible.

I am primarily a middle infielder but this is pretty much how I decide:

Dry infield or outfield: turfs
Damp hard if: turfs
Damp soft if: cleats
Damp of: cleats

ADFerg

The Veteran
Yes.

I currently have Mizuno Franchise 7 cleats, Mizuno Speed Trainers, and NB T4040. I've tried all of them wet and dry. On game day I have a cleat and a turf in the bag. The New Balance are my preferred shoe whenever possible.

Those New Balance look very nice, not very aggressive tread though. I have had no issues wet or dry, grass or dirt in the Speedcross 3s. Only had an issue in super long wet grass with the Vigor 2s.

lx_2nv

Coach
Interesting - Pumas are by far the most comfortable sneaker for my foot - wonder if their trails are good. Gonna check it out

17HnH

Old Made New Glove Relacing Owner

This is how I decide too. Kept a pair of molded cleats for the occasional wet night. Just don't have many of those in CO.