BP with weighted ball

westdude

Addicted to Softballfans
I've wondered about the effect on the barrels myself with this and aren't sure. I will say it's not good for two piece bats and the connection pieces though.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
If you're talking about those weighted contact training balls they claim they will not damage your baseball bat but i personally wouldn't use them with any of the newer slowpitch bats

We have couple guys that use a same size weighted softball to warm up pitching with, then switch to regular ball. Have never heard of anyone hitting these weighted balls in BP, what might the advantages or purpose of hitting these balls be, if any?

basilray

The only manufacturer I've ever seen say not to hit a weighted ball, or any specific ball, is Monsta.

We use weighted balls for warmup. We're not taking full swings, and it's more for timing/focus than power.

dunkky

weighted balls are perfect for warm up. the one with sand in it. it doesn't carry(that's the best part), so perfect arsenal to have to get a few swings before the game and you can do that in a very limited space without hurting anyone. Just hit a few, not ton, should be fine.

blakcherry329

They don't damage bats. I have been using them for a few years now. I use the baseball sized 12 or 16oz balls(I forget which ones I have. lol). I always use my bats and never had an issue. Now I use my Cam-Wood bat the first round, then my gamer. I try to take about 10-20 swings before a game or in between tournament games to stay loose. They're also really good for pitching warm up.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2RGCV1/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1

blakcherry329

Evil Heavy ball is cork center so there will be no wall damage
Hmmmm, I would be less inclined to hit a weighted regular ball than a weighted sand-filled ball. The latter will spread at point of contact so impact is over a greater surface area on the bat. If the Evil Balls aren't spongy, like the Incrediballs, I definitely wouldn't use them with a composite bat.

blakcherry329

Just stating facts on our product, I dont see the need to be hitting heavy balls. Surely didnt have that in mind when I built the Evil Heavy.
Um, did I miss something or did you say that there wouldn't be any wall damage? Your Weighted balls are for throwing, not bp. The original question was about soft weighted bp balls. So I'm not sure why you even mentioned the Evil balls.

I commented earlier that I have teammates that have a weighted softball in their bat/equipment bag, they use to loosen up their throwing arms. I have used also. I must say that I’ve never seen a softball player or team use weighted balls for either BP or to increase? Bat speed? Strength? Or any hitting related topic. The only “reviews” that I’ve seen suggesting that a weighted ball will help in hitting is from the people trying to sell these balls. I would agree. There’s always someone hawking something new or innovative but this is one of those “quick fix bandaids?” That I definitely question. Just my 2 cents worth.

I would once again comment that I can’t see any benefit for hitting a softball that is weighted for any type of hitting practice even if the softball, “according to the manufacturer or selling agent” for this product says it has a benefit, show me where a top notch softball club in any division use this to make them better. I’m not on here to dog others or the products that they use, just to look at real world, real time situations. I much prefer to see five guys playing a little pepper against the home plate screen prior to a game, joking, making backhand plays and most importantly, the batter controlling every aspect of his swing - how hard he hits it, where he hits it, line drive or short hop to his mates. THIS IS WHAT MAKES A BETTER HITTER AND A BETTER TEAMMATE.

dunkky

Top notch, conference guys don't need this, they hit live pitches every other days. This is a quick, fast way to do your swing drill in a very confined space like little space between the fields while waiting for your game. Warm you up, working on your timing, etc. does it help your game. Not everyone but many. it's same as dry swing, except it adds timing aspects and accuracy aspects. I don't see how hitting a full fist of sand can damage the composite.

dunnky, I’m not knocking anyone that feels that this might be helping, I play in a senior league and currently we are 18 - 2 and I consider our team to be a top-notch squad in our county league. Keep using any tools that help you to get better and enjoy the ride. I’m 70 and enjoy every double header we play, every Tuesday and Thursday especially when the guys in either their late 50’s and early 60’s keep saying to at least the three of us (all 70) on our team, “are you guys really 70”? A game I truly love.

dunkky

dunnky, I’m not knocking anyone that feels that this might be helping, I play in a senior league and currently we are 18 - 2 and I consider our team to be a top-notch squad in our county league. Keep using any tools that help you to get better and enjoy the ride. I’m 70 and enjoy every double header we play, every Tuesday and Thursday especially when the guys in either their late 50’s and early 60’s keep saying to at least the three of us (all 70) on our team, “are you guys really 70”? A game I truly love.

oh no sir, i definitely didn't take that way. I am in total agreement with you in a sense that there's some gadget that's is totally useless and garbage that serves no purpose. I am just pointing out this one is actually not one of them. It's very practical A lot of us are not that dedicated nor have time. you show up 10 min before the game after the work and go. It helps them having a few swings before the game that actually mimics a real pitch. That is all that is. will it fix your mechanic, no. will it enhance your swing speed, hell no. that's not what this is for.

u may not realize, but i do have respect for you. Not that many can compete at that age!. Stay healthy!

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
They're to help you make good contact, because if you don't hit the middle of a sand ball it goes nowhere and stretches out into a weird oval.

Baseball and softball players have hit deflated basketballs for the weight strength aspect of this for as long as i can remember. I wouldn't hit a cannonball or a weighted ball for pitching and arm strength, but any ball made for hitting should be fine.

Last edited:

rmp0012002

Addicted to Softballfans
The only thing I can see coming out of hitting a Cannonball (weighted ball) is a broken bat and possibly broken wrists. They were meant for a quick toss session to warm up your arm not hitting. If you want batspeed, swing a jimmer stick or a dirx bat before your at bat.

16” bat? 12” bat?
These are weighted balls filled with sand. I use my 16" bat to ear hit them. I don't use my 12" bat to hit them.

https://totalcontrolsports.com/

16” bat? 12” bat? Are you referring to a 16” softball diameter league? Makes no difference, using a weighted ball is somewhat of a marketing ploy. Nothing that I have seen, other than a manufacturer or manufacturers reps sales pitch endorse their use.

They're to help you make good contact, because if you don't hit the middle of a sand ball it goes nowhere and stretches out into a weird oval.

Baseball and softball players have hit deflated basketballs for the weight strength aspect of this for as long as i can remember. I wouldn't hit a cannonball or a weighted ball for pitching and arm strength, but any ball made for hitting should be fine.

So somehow the weighted ball will help you make good contact??!! No softball not hit well goes nowhere!!?? You get more feedback when hitting the same ball that you will play with in your league games, GUARANTEED.

16” bat? 12” bat?

16” bat? 12” bat? Are you referring to a 16” softball diameter league? Makes no difference, using a weighted ball is somewhat of a marketing ploy. Nothing that I have seen, other than a manufacturer or manufacturers reps sales pitch endorse their use.

So somehow the weighted ball will help you make good contact??!! No softball not hit well goes nowhere!!?? You get more feedback when hitting the same ball that you will play with in your league games, GUARANTEED.

I know not everybody on here plays 16". The bat is heavier. The bat i use is 34oz. I only hit the weighted balls if i don't feel like shagging balls or if we warm before a game. I just use them to hit. They don't go far at all. If you use a lighter bat i could def see somebody getting worried if the bat will snap. These balls are about the size of 16" ball and kinda heavy so yea, i could see worrying about your bat.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
16” bat? 12” bat?

It's fine if you don't understand the subject matter. These aren't supposed to fully replace bp, but they're like thick tennis balls full of sand. I don't know what you're thinking of, but these balls can be pitched in the warm up area, and you can take a full swing and barely hit it back to the pitcher. If you don't hit it square it won't go 3 feet.

Last edited:

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know not everybody on here plays 16". The bat is heavier. The bat i use is 34oz. I only hit the weighted balls if i don't feel like shagging balls or if we warm before a game. I just use them to hit. They don't go far at all. If you use a lighter bat i could def see somebody getting worried if the bat will snap. These balls are about the size of 16" ball and kinda heavy so yea, i could see worrying about your bat.
We used to have a team in ga that would play pickle veggie games with a 16" ball to warm up. I liked it, but nobody here will try it.