USSSA BR hit by ball but different

crushthatball

それに愚痴を吸う
Batter hits the ball down the first base line. The ball hits 1st base then the ball bounces back and hits the BR running down the line. BR was in fair territory and had not yet reached the bag. What was the correct call? :confused: Never seen this before.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
If the defense hasn't yet touched the ball, I'd kill the play and call the out. The rules don't specify any exceptions for when the ball bounces off of a base. The base is just another part of the field.

USSSA 8-4:
A batter-base runner is out under the following circumstances.
A. When he is hit by his own batted ball in Fair territory, after leaving batter's box.

steven_wht

Addicted to Softballfans
add a twist....what if the first baseman was playing in front of the bag. now the ball has passed an infielder. so would he then be safe? i know hypothetical but hey it could happen

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
add a twist....what if the first baseman was playing in front of the bag. now the ball has passed an infielder. so would he then be safe? i know hypothetical but hey it could happen

Here's where things get kind of hazy. I know what the ASA call is: dead ball, batter is still out. However, that's because they phrased their rule slightly differently, and ASA is extremely careful about the way they write their rules. Umpires are expected to enforce the rules as they are written, not by what they think the "intents" are behind the rules when the rule doesn't clearly apply.

On the other hand, USSSA seems to be content with writing rules where they take the attitude of "well, you know what we mean." Unfortunately, the vast majority of umpires are not present for those discussions where USSSA talks about "what we mean," so no, they DON'T "just know what we mean."

I would have to say that USSSA's rule is meant to be enforced the exact same as ASA's, despite the clear differences in their respective rules' wording. However, in all honesty, when it comes to USSSA... there's just no telling what they want.

rtaven

Addicted to Softballfans
my understanding once by infielder other than pitcher,live ball unless intentional or are you calling him out because not in batters running area from home to first?

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
my understanding once by infielder other than pitcher,live ball unless intentional or are you calling him out because not in batters running area from home to first?

The three-foot running lane to first base only applies to interference with a thrown ball or a fielder receiving the throw. It doesn't mean a thing for interference with a batted ball.

I'd have an out here, too. That's a bad break- it sucks to be this batter-runner! But the game is full of plays like that. Runners get hit with batted balls they didn't mean to get hit with and fielders accidently obstruct runners without meaning to do it. When they do, it's still an out and it's still obstruction. That's just the way the cookie crumbles. Or, perhaps more appropriate for this play...that's just the way the ball bounces!

Taprootgft

Addicted to Softballfans
I've got to ask, was the guy about 400 lbs and unable to jump the 6 inches to avoid what would then be a slow moving ball coming back down the line towards him?