Break in

wizkid2016

I know it’s been asked 263636 times, but here we go:

I just purchased a mizuno gmp700axobk

I plan on playing catch to break in naturally but what else should I be doing? This is my first high end glove and I don’t want to do any harm to the glove. Couch catch and tossing with my kids but looking for any other advice that may help. (Hot water, mallet etc)

Thank you!

NYC

Swag on 100.
I know it’s been asked 263636 times, but here we go:

I just purchased a mizuno gmp700axobk

I plan on playing catch to break in naturally but what else should I be doing? This is my first high end glove and I don’t want to do any harm to the glove. Couch catch and tossing with my kids but looking for any other advice that may help. (Hot water, mallet etc)

Thank you!

What I would do is put conditioner all over my hand and put the glove on and massage the inside of the glove and let it dry for a couple days. The sweat from your hand is what does the most damage from my experience and the conditioner will create a sort of barrier and prolong its life. That's what I do to all my new gloves, also if you wear it with your index finger out you can condition that part where your finger sticks out. In the offseason if the glove has had heavy use I would very lightly condition the whole thing for its winter hibernation. I was never a fan of "speeding up" the break in process, slowly forming it just by catch is the best method. Some teammates do the hot water method and create bubbles in the palm.

Committed

I would avoid the hot water method but to each their own.

ASO method minus the water dunk is my normal protocol. Mallet the break points and establishing the pocket. Lots of couch catch followed by long toss.

Good luck with the glove, bud!

MaverickAH

I would also say to avoid dunking your glove in hot water! It's not necessary, especially with a Mizuno.

I see that you're in PA. That means that you got at least a couple of months to get your glove game ready. Get or make yourself a mallet & follow Committed's advice along with NYC's. You'll be gtg in no time!

Gators21

Manager
With this particular glove, all you really need to do is keep it basically natural - a lot of couch catch and outside catch. Maybe add just a small amount of lanolin-based cream in the pocket.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Water causes the leather fibers to delink and then they link back up when they dry. So when I get a new glove I like to get a lining and palm good and wet and then go play catch for 30-45 minutes. The next day I'll do the same, but with Lexol conditioner which contains some lanolin. After it is completely dry, give the lining a coat of Vaseline or beeswax leather waterproofer (like JobSIte or Obenauf's). Then just play catch.

No heat, no microwave, no parking your car on it.

wizkid2016

Played catch with the daughter for an hour. Starting to feel better. I wish I would have discovered placing two in the pinky years ago!

Going to buy some lexol tomorrow. Best way to apply it? And after I apply the lexol do I immediately play catch or let it dry?

Thanks guys!

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Some guys spray it on a rag and wipe it on, but I just spray lightly and then rub it in quickly so it soaks in evenly. You can let it dry or not, IMO, i before playing catch.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
It's funny how it still doesn't look fully broken in.
Oh it's just right, still brick hard and sits wide open but wraps up a 12" softball perfectly. It's goes to the HS girls practice everyday, might catch 10 balls with it, might catch 250 balls with it?

Last edited:

NYC

Swag on 100.
Oh it's just right, still brick hard and sits wide open but wraps up a 12" softball perfectly. It's goes to the HS girls practice everyday, might catch 10 balls with, catch 250 balls with it?

Just curious if you ever cleaned and conditioned it? Maybe you should wait until it gets like this...

wizkid2016

[GALLERY=media, 29437]E40CB73D-6AF8-42FB-9DB0-793E160458A1 by wizkid2016 posted Feb 27, 2018 at 5:08 PM[/GALLERY]

Made this today after work.

Can’t seem to find anyone who stocks lexol around here.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
[GALLERY=media, 29437]E40CB73D-6AF8-42FB-9DB0-793E160458A1 by wizkid2016 posted Feb 27, 2018 at 5:08 PM[/GALLERY]

Made this today after work.

Can’t seem to find anyone who stocks lexol around here.
I’ve never seen a AutoZone, Advance, or Walmart that didn’t stock it!

MaverickAH

It's funny how it still doesn't look fully broken in.

What does a fully broken in glove look like to you?

A 12" softball has a diameter of ~4". Once I get my glove to close to 3.5", it's fully broken in! ;) Too many people break in their glove too much & then wonder why it doesn't hold its shape or last them as long.

Dunking is an old method that, IMHO, is not necessary for most modern gloves. They just aren't that stiff as to require it. Of course, if you're someone who is always switching out gloves, it can shorten break-in time. I don't think that it's beneficial to the longevity of a glove though. Most people don't buy a glove only to swap it out every 6 months or so. They hold on to it long term. Dunking has a negative effect on lace health & has uneven drying patterns that can lead to early deterioration, especially of internals. It's not that I don't believe in adding moisture to a glove. I just believe in adding it in a more controlled, less invasive way.

I always try to give a glove a 6 month leeway before I game it. I have enough time to break it in naturally & minimally. For me this is:
  • Minimal conditioning. ("You can always add but you can't take away!")
  • Mallet & weighted ball work.
  • Lacing break-in. (Web & fingers)
  • Shaping.
  • Shoe shining the top & the crotch of the web.
  • Shoe shining the glove heel.
If I feel that it's necessary, I will introduce a few microwaved wet bar towels to specific parts of the glove.

What I wind up with is a glove that's shaped to my hand & works exactly how "I" want it to work. Once I get it to about 80 to 85% of the way, outside it goes to finish the process with some weighted ball catch & defensive drills. It's only when I get to a certain level of comfort that I deem a glove "game ready". Since I usually make glove purchases from late summer to mid February, at the latest, it's very rare that I will game a glove in the same calendar year as purchase.

I would also add that I NEVER create specific "break points" in my gloves. I believe that they're not necessary for a softball glove & they shorten its useful life. Glove longevity can be affected based on where you live (weather), how many games you play, maintenance regimen & other factors. Where I live has a playing window of 8-9 months with mostly moderate temps & I play roughly the equivalent of 100+ games. With that in mind, I expect to get about 7 years of optimal service out of a stock high end glove (think A2000/HOH).