Calipari is scared

Bush Leaguer

That's Part of it
Why you scared? IU wants to come to Rupp next year.

Being an IU fan I don't say this much because it sounds pretty lame, but year, given the timing of everything, it looks kind of bad. IU seems to be the preseason #1 and now a storied rivalry and series ends, all the while Cal is still undefeated at home. Kind of fishy, but oh well.

Stout33

Addicted to Softballfans
Time for Tom Crean to reap what he sowed. When he was at Marquette he refused to schedule UW Milwaukee when Bruce Pearl had them playing well.

Stout33

Addicted to Softballfans
Would have been nice for the Milwaukee sport fan, could have ended up like the Cincy/Xavier rivalry but Crean like Calipari had/has everything to lose in the deal.

Jhall24

Addicted to Softballfans
Being an IU fan I don't say this much because it sounds pretty lame, but year, given the timing of everything, it looks kind of bad. IU seems to be the preseason #1 and now a storied rivalry and series ends, all the while Cal is still undefeated at home. Kind of fishy, but oh well.
IU a preseason #1?????? That's a bold statement.

Stroh13

Would have been nice for the Milwaukee sport fan, could have ended up like the Cincy/Xavier rivalry but Crean like Calipari had/has everything to lose in the deal.
You are right. I don't blame him for dodging this game and
I don't mind him being scared...but don't make tough guy statements to the media.

Bush Leaguer

That's Part of it
IU a preseason #1?????? That's a bold statement.

Not at all. They return damn near everyone. Lose two of their worse players, and are gaining 3 4 star recruits and two 5 stars. Those recruits alone could create a starting 5. And get Maurice Creek back. Not saying they are going to be the best team in the country, but they have probably the best case at being called the preseason #1.

Jhall24

Addicted to Softballfans
You are right. I don't blame him for dodging this game and
I don't mind him being scared...but don't make tough guy statements to the media.

I really don't think anyone is scared of IU. The AD has the final say in scheduling. Not the coach.

Jhall24

Addicted to Softballfans
Not at all. They return damn near everyone. Lose two of their worse players, and are gaining 3 4 star recruits and two 5 stars. Those recruits alone could create a starting 5. And get Maurice Creek back. Not saying they are going to be the best team in the country, but they have probably the best case at being called the preseason #1.

Not sayig they won't be good. Just saying #1 is a bit much in my opinion. They really didn't do a whole lot last year. The Kentucky win overshadowed some
Bad losses.

Jhall24

Addicted to Softballfans
Definitely Calipari's call.
He openly admitted he didn't want to go back to Assembly Hall.

It's really not though. If it is profitable for the school the AD would tell him too bad you're going. The AD is the final word. Not saying the coach has nothing to do with it. But a school is not going to bag a game with another school if it is profitable for the school. No matter what the coach says. All it says to me is the game doesn't matter to Kentucky and it isn't profitable for them. let's be honest IU is the only one that gets anyhing out of playing Kentucky. Kentucky is a much bigger media hub then Indiana.

Stroh13

“When I was at UMass, I saw what John Chaney and Temple were doing and adopted the motto “any team, any place, any time.” My last year at UMass, we played 10 home games and 27 games away from home, and I carried that over to Memphis. What, have I changed over the years? Do I get nervous in big games? Come on, it has nothing to do with that. I’ll play teams on I-64. We’ll close it down. I’m good with that. But this program is not traditional. This program is in a position right now that we must protect as we march forward to try to grow it to another level.”

What he really meant to say was I'll play any team any place except IU @ Assembly Hall or Rupp Arena.

Stroh13

It's really not though. If it is profitable for the school the AD would tell him too bad you're going. The AD is the final word. Not saying the coach has nothing to do with it. But a school is not going to bag a game with another school if it is profitable for the school. No matter what the coach says. All it says to me is the game doesn't matter to Kentucky and it isn't profitable for them. let's be honest IU is the only one that gets anyhing out of playing Kentucky. Kentucky is a much bigger media hub then Indiana.

You're right about profits. That is what it is about to Calipair. Making profits and getting donations from that Alumni. Don't tell me that if IU was undefeated next year and headed to Rupp that the only team getting something out of the matchup would be IU. Kentucky is a bigger media hub? What does that even mean?

Jhall24

Addicted to Softballfans
You're right about profits. That is what it is about to Calipair. Making profits and getting donations from that Alumni. Don't tell me that if IU was undefeated next year and headed to Rupp that the only team getting something out of the matchup would be IU. Kentucky is a bigger media hub? What does that even mean?

It means more networks will cover a Kentucky game than an Indiana game. And that is huge. There is more money to be made playing unc, duke, Syracuse, Ohio state etc than there is to play Indiana which has been basically non existant for quite some time now. Like I said I believe Indiana will be a good team this year. But to say anyone of a Kentucky status is scared of them is insanity. Not many teams are scared of indiana. Definitely not a Kentucky type. That's just going way too homer.

Bush Leaguer

That's Part of it
^ And you're being disrespectful and selling IU very short. Very, very, very short. You aren't taking everything into account. Coach Cal DOES decide on schedule. He's also undefeated at Rupp. He had his first loss against IU this year in a classic buzzer beater moment. Now, IU is coming in with the strongest recruiting class it may have ever had, building on a team that succeeded last year when it was supposed to still be a few years away. This year, they are coming into Rupp, and Coach Cal has lost nearly his ENTIRE team that he just won a title w/. Not saying that he is in fact afraid, but factor in all these, and it's very possible.

Jhall24

Addicted to Softballfans
^ And you're being disrespectful and selling IU very short. Very, very, very short. You aren't taking everything into account. Coach Cal DOES decide on schedule. He's also undefeated at Rupp. He had his first loss against IU this year in a classic buzzer beater moment. Now, IU is coming in with the strongest recruiting class it may have ever had, building on a team that succeeded last year when it was supposed to still be a few years away. This year, they are coming into Rupp, and Coach Cal has lost nearly his ENTIRE team that he just won a title w/. Not saying that he is in fact afraid, but factor in all these, and it's very possible.

I'm not being disrespectful I'm being realistic. Indiana is not a big market school. They had a decent year last year for the first time in years. And you are wrong. The AD makes the final call on scheduling. Every school is that way. Like I said they may talk with coaches but th AD is going to do what he wants. He is pretty much the coaches boss. If Indiana had anything to offer Kentucky to where they would benefit they would still play. No school will walk away from a profitable match up. Not one. Bottom line is Indiana is not a big market school. Thy may change that this year but recruiting classes mean nothing until Rey prove themselves. You saying Kentucky is scared of Indiana is like saying North Carolina won't play butler because they are scared. No they don't play them because its not profitable. No one is scared of Indiana. They are irrelevant until proven other wise.

Bush Leaguer

That's Part of it
I'm not being disrespectful I'm being realistic. Indiana is not a big market school. They had a decent year last year for the first time in years. And you are wrong. The AD makes the final call on scheduling. Every school is that way. Like I said they may talk with coaches but th AD is going to do what he wants. He is pretty much the coaches boss. If Indiana had anything to offer Kentucky to where they would benefit they would still play. No school will walk away from a profitable match up. Not one. Bottom line is Indiana is not a big market school. Thy may change that this year but recruiting classes mean nothing until Rey prove themselves. You saying Kentucky is scared of Indiana is like saying North Carolina won't play butler because they are scared. No they don't play them because its not profitable. No one is scared of Indiana. They are irrelevant until proven other wise.

You're an idiot. There really isn't any explination needed why, you've provided that with this post.

Jhall24

Addicted to Softballfans
You're an idiot. There really isn't any explination needed why, you've provided that with this post.

Why exactly??? Because you're a homer that thinks a school that has been basically a ghost town for years, is relevant and scares one of the most prestigious schools of all time??? You just don't like hearing that your school really is **** until they do something. So what they beat Kentucky last year. Pretty sure they lost to Minnesota, Nebraska, and Iowa though. Last season proves how bad Indiana has been. They had a decent year and people think they are great.

eHall

Base burglar
Cal posed the question via twitter of which home and Home rivalry would uk fans be ok with losing, louisville, unc or iu. This was before the iu buzzer beater. Overwhelmingly the response was IU.

This is not a surprise to any uk fan. IU and UK played two great games last year but the decision was financial. IU refused to make it rotating nuetral site series so UK dropped them. IU needs the series more than UK.

UK has a new banner hanging, they played one of the toughest non conf schedules in history last year. Playing 6 of the 7 other elite 8 teams.

Stroh13

Why exactly??? Because you're a homer that thinks a school that has been basically a ghost town for years, is relevant and scares one of the most prestigious schools of all time??? You just don't like hearing that your school really is **** until they do something. So what they beat Kentucky last year. Pretty sure they lost to Minnesota, Nebraska, and Iowa though. Last season proves how bad Indiana has been. They had a decent year and people think they are great.

I get some of your points then you do things like compare IU's program and history to Butler. Then you try to say IU isn't an elite program. Last I checked they have more National Titles than Duke and the same amount as UNC. UK had their down years under Tubby and that Drunk Gillespie. I believe UK was chasing perfection last year right? Who ended that chance? Who was the last school to go undefeated?

Stroh13

Cal posed the question via twitter of which home and Home rivalry would uk fans be ok with losing, louisville, unc or iu. This was before the iu buzzer beater. Overwhelmingly the response was IU.

This is not a surprise to any uk fan. IU and UK played two great games last year but the decision was financial. IU refused to make it rotating nuetral site series so UK dropped them. IU needs the series more than UK.

UK has a new banner hanging, they played one of the toughest non conf schedules in history last year. Playing 6 of the 7 other elite 8 teams.

You are right. It was definitely about money. That is what Calipari is about. His brand, his endorsements and his fame. He'll throw UK under the bus in a few years.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get some of your points then you do things like compare IU's program and history to Butler. Then you try to say IU isn't an elite program. Last I checked they have more National Titles than Duke and the same amount as UNC. UK had their down years under Tubby and that Drunk Gillespie. I believe UK was chasing perfection last year right? Who ended that chance? Who was the last school to go undefeated?

Tubby won a National Championship, or does that mean nothing anymore? Tubby had some bad losses in the tournament, but he also went deeper than IU had since Knight left excluding 2002. IU made the elite 8 in 92, 93, and 2002. UK won National Championships in 96, 98, and 12. The real down years for UK were Sutton, and soon after. UK fans just stupidly hated Tubby's style of play.

Gillespie was a joke, but wasn't here long enough to compare to Mike Davis.

I'm not happy about the series ending. I'd gladly trade IU for a home and home against Duke though. There was a rumor we'd be losing UNC too. Hopefully it stays just that. I wonder if us no longer playing IU in football had any effect on this. State border rivalries clearly don't mean what they used to.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are right. It was definitely about money. That is what Calipari is about. His brand, his endorsements and his fame. He'll throw UK under the bus in a few years.

This is certainly possible, but UK still wouldn't be afraid of playing IU even if I were coaching them. You might want to accomplish something before you talk ****. Preaseason means jack ****. IJS

Bush Leaguer

That's Part of it
This is certainly possible, but UK still wouldn't be afraid of playing IU even if I were coaching them. You might want to accomplish something before you talk ****. Preaseason means jack ****. IJS

Good lord, years of hyping recruiting classes and you finally get a banner now you're one to talk about preseason meaning jack. UK fans are ultimate opportunists.

If you don't think IU is a better team than UK going into this season then you really are a homer jackass.

birm16

Nats Jersey IJS
Tubby won a National Championship, or does that mean nothing anymore? Tubby had some bad losses in the tournament, but he also went deeper than IU had since Knight left excluding 2002. IU made the elite 8 in 92, 93, and 2002. UK won National Championships in 96, 98, and 12. The real down years for UK were Sutton, and soon after. UK fans just stupidly hated Tubby's style of play.

Gillespie was a joke, but wasn't here long enough to compare to Mike Davis.

I'm not happy about the series ending. I'd gladly trade IU for a home and home against Duke though. There was a rumor we'd be losing UNC too. Hopefully it stays just that. I wonder if us no longer playing IU in football had any effect on this. State border rivalries clearly don't mean what they used to.

Im a UK fan but tubby winning the title was not with his recruits so dont forget that

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good lord, years of hyping recruiting classes and you finally get a banner now you're one to talk about preseason meaning jack. UK fans are ultimate opportunists.

If you don't think IU is a better team than UK going into this season then you really are a homer jackass.

Where did I say any of that? Oh right, I didn't. IU should be better than UK this year. They should be proud of that. Once every ten years is a pretty good record for them. I would never take that away from them.

Feel free to go back through any of the threads since Cal was hired. I never said even the John Wall team was going to win it all. If it was played on paper they would have. They should have, but even after the SEC tournament I said I wasn't getting my hopes up. Said the same thing last year. I think experience and veteran play is more important than a stellar recruiting class, but I'm not the coach or AD so they don't really care what I think.

As much as I hate this example, I think Duke is the perfect combination when Coach K does it right. You need 3 All American recruits and 3 players that will stay for 4 years. All of either of those two types of players is hard to win it all with IMO.