Calling all Modified pitchers!!

patdapitcher

Addicted to Softballfans
The reason I started this thread is to help guys who might want to give pitching a shot. I think one of the most difficult things for a young guy to get started is the lack of information. There is no place around that they can get frank advice on the proper techniques it takes to become a proficient Modified pitcher.
So I'm calling all modified pitchers hopefully with good experience be they 10-man or for lack of a better term "sling" pitching. Lets give these guys a forum that can help and perhaps grow the sport that we all love.

Ask away!

patdapitcher

Addicted to Softballfans
I'll start: How can I improve my fastball??

I say Legs, Legs, Legs! Learn to use them, build them up! The proper technique for most modified leagues is both feet must start on the rubber (i know, some leagues you can start with one foot). Generally what I do is (being Rt handed) start with the middle of my rt foot is on the rubber, my lft foot, my toes touch the rear of the rubber. Because in most leagues your first movement should be forward not stepping back. This foot placement gives me the advantage sort of like leverage. (think about it if you want to move forward which is better? starting square or with one foot behind the other for a push off).

Practice your push off! a good drill is I like to call it going for a walk.
With ball in hand, glove in the other get in starting position (feet properly positioned) practice pushing off while taking a step go thru your wind up and throw the ball into your glove. Do this repeatedly and try to really get your legs into it....take a walk. this also is a good combo drill because you can also practice your wrist snap.......but that'll be for another discussion.

Any thought that might improve this is greatly appreciated.

patdapitcher

Addicted to Softballfans
A good way to get movement is to practice your wrist snap to make the ball move with your natural motion. good easy drill for it to put the ball in your hand, with your hand flat, try flipping the ball straight up by just using your wrist and rolling your fingers. Really try to make it spin do it 10-20 times before you loosen up, then throw with your catcher try the same thing try to spin it off your fingers. It might take a little practice but after a while you'll get it to feel it naturally. Curves and risers are similar it all comes to follow through and wrist turn.

gofisch

I really need to know how to get movement on the ball. I can throw a knuckle, but need a curve and riser.

Good advice from Pat. What I also did was get some fastpitch pitching videos, they helped me a lot with grips and getting a visual of the types of wrist movement etc.

blakcherry329

I think your wrist snap and hips are more essential than your legs. While leg drive is definitely important, arm swing, wrist snap, and hip turn are what gives you the velocity. Not that I really practice what I preach.:( My fast ball is about 45-50, on a really, really good day.:eek:(it's more for show) But I notice what power pitchers are doing, and most don't really have a lot of leg drive, but lots of arm and wrist motion with a twist of the hip.

Just my opinion...I could be wrong:eek:

You will have to get used to the pounding that your legs take, however. Your thigh on your plant leg will be sore, until you get used to it. Not to mention your forearm and elbow.

gofisch

I think your wrist snap and hips are more essential than your legs. While leg drive is definitely important, arm swing, wrist snap, and hip turn are what gives you the velocity. Not that I really practice what I preach.:( My fast ball is about 45-50, on a really, really good day.:eek:(it's more for show) But I notice what power pitchers are doing, and most don't really have a lot of leg drive, but lots of arm and wrist motion with a twist of the hip.

Just my opinion...I could be wrong:eek:

You will have to get used to the pounding that your legs take, however. Your thigh on your plant leg will be sore, until you get used to it. Not to mention your forearm and elbow.

Hips are only in play when you "sling", a legal "bowler" has to keep their hips square to the plate.

patdapitcher

Addicted to Softballfans
Quite frankly I say it is the legs and push off that will get and extra 3 to 5 mph on the ball. Of course arm velocity and wrist snap are important but to get that extra mph you must learn to push off the rubber. And yes your legs do take a pounding.
Also follow through with your arm is important, really reach towards your target!

Great discussion fellas this is the exact reason I started this thread, thanks for contributing. Awesome hopefully somebody will find this useful and start to throw!!

Last edited:

gofisch

Something I do to practice. Because I can't always find someone to throw with I find a concrete wall(handball courts are perfect) to throw against. I use Easton Incrediballs, they are the correct weight and size, plus they come back to you better. I draw a strike zone on the wall and pace off the correct pitching distance. You can get hundreds of throws in in a short time. Its easy to experiment with different grips and speeds this way also. When I got to where I was hitting the strike zone consistently I then drew in squares(I made the squares a couple inches bigger than the ball) in the corners of the strike zone. I then throw to the corners, thats the way I do it all the time now. I was taught to "throw to the L's" in the strike zone when I pitch and this has helped tremendously. I don't throw really hard but I can be pretty accurate. I'm fairly easy to hit, but I'm hard to hit well.

My advice is, if your not a fireballer, change speeds and hit the corners. I don't even throw my fastball the same speed all the time.

Oh, a note on the strike zone size. The plate is 17 inches wide, so make your strike zone that wide. I use my own body for the height. I just stand next to the wall in my stance and mark where my knees are and where my armpits are, I'm 5"11" so my strike zone works out pretty well.

Catchers are very important in this process as well. I need mine to give me a target before I'm into my wind up. Some guys can get their target as they are winding up, I'm not one of them. If you aren't comfortable that day with a pitch, don't be afraid to shake off your catcher. It helps if you catcher used to catch baseball in my experience they call better games and know how to read a hitters stance. Sorry I am feeling wordy this morning. LOL

patdapitcher

Addicted to Softballfans
It's all good gofisch! "Aim small miss small" I like to divide my box into quarters to start. Good advice. As for catchers what I find in some of the leagues that good catchers are a rare and valued commodity. Sometimes with new teams, the team basically puts the guy who agrees to play the position there. The first thing I say is "don't put the glove in the middle.......ever" . Have a small talk with the guy who is catching you before the game perhaps during warm-ups. Go over some sort of game plan. For instance: "I might say lets start in, keep your glove low, try and work the extremes in and out. If we get 1-2 or 0-2 lets go up and in see if we can get him to chase, then lets go soft out with a change or curve". Something like that then the catcher has a clue as to what type of game you'd like to pitch and just go from there.

just thought I'd add some of the mental approach to pitching.

Last edited:

buildingmaint

Addicted to Softballfans
A tool I used when training in the off season was the "ARM STRONG" . It is a regulation softball on a frame that attaches to resistance bands , i think you get 4 bands . I would use 2 and step and swing my arm just like my regular motion. It really would really pump up my forarms. Just a resistance tool to build strength.

blakcherry329

A tool I used when training in the off season was the "ARM STRONG" . It is a regulation softball on a frame that attaches to resistance bands , i think you get 4 bands . I would use 2 and step and swing my arm just like my regular motion. It really would really pump up my forarms. Just a resistance tool to build strength.

Back in the 80's, showing my age here:eek::(, I used the WEDGE for forearm workouts. That was the best! Nowadays I use GripMaster, heavy tension. I used it everywhere, at my desk, driving, watching tv. That works the fingers and forearms. This is great for the knuckleball, my primary pitch.:D

blakcherry329

Hips are only in play when you "sling", a legal "bowler" has to keep their hips square to the plate.

Oh, ok. The leagues I play in aren't as strict with that. As long as you end up coming straight through and not too far away from your body, it's all good. Most of the power pitchers sling it. I don't sling cuz I can't throw strikes like that.

Quite frankly I say it is the legs and push off that will get and extra 3 to 5 mph on the ball. Of course arm velocity and wrist snap are important but to get that extra mph you must learn to push off the rubber. And yes your legs do take a pounding.
Also follow through with your arm is important, really reach towards your target!

Great discussion fellas this is the exact reason I started this thread, thanks for contributing. Awesome hopefully somebody will find this useful and start to throw!!

this is true. I guess you really need both, leg drive and wrist snap to have good velocity.

Batta3674

Addicted to Softballfans
I have played around with pitching a little bit but the problem I have is "control" put me on the mound in warm up (no batter) no problem. Put a batter in (WHOLE different story). I have seen Ray pitch (blakcherry) one helluva knuckleballer and good modified pitcher as well. I think it's best for me to just stay in the OF or at 1B :D

blakcherry329

I have played around with pitching a little bit but the problem I have is "control" put me on the mound in warm up (no batter) no problem. Put a batter in (WHOLE different story). I have seen Ray pitch (blakcherry) one helluva knuckleballer and good modified pitcher as well. I think it's best for me to just stay in the OF or at 1B :D

Thanks for the compliment. At this point in my career, I'm a cagey veteran, like Wakefield or Moyer.:D

From what I've seen, you could definitely be a good pitcher. Just takes practice. You already throw harder than I do. :D There are never enough pitchers.

gofisch

blakcherry, thanks for the knuckleball thread. I don't know if I posted in it to thank you, but I used it all year and had a great time with it.:D So Thanks

kodiak17

Addicted to Softballfans

i agree definitely stay in outfield

blakcherry329

blakcherry, thanks for the knuckleball thread. I don't know if I posted in it to thank you, but I used it all year and had a great time with it.:D So Thanks

No problem. I think you did already, anyway. Glad it helped. I'm always available for people who want to learn. I'm the UN Ambassador to the Knuckleball.:D

We pitchers have to stick together;)

gofisch

There was a guy in my league that wanted to learn it. He was acting as if there was some big secret I was going to share and that it was going to be really hard to throw. When I told him it pretty simple, he seemed disappointed. :) But he told me a week later that he was practicing.

patdapitcher

Addicted to Softballfans
One way to improve location is to focus better, I mean really focus. Reach to that spot you want to hit and let go. It's easier said than done, you have outside chatter (cheering, ball busting), you have an umpires strike zone (which vary widely), and lastly you have the batter. A good pitcher can mentally block most of this out and focus on the task at hand, namely "hitting a spot". Notice I said hit the spot rather than throw a strike, sometimes it's better to throw it out of the strike zone. LOOK at the spot you want to hit and throw it. I find that some pitchers that are first starting or just getting there and can't reach that next level, tend to lose focus. Be it lifting their head and taking your eyes off the target. I preach keep your head down, it's sort of why I like to wear a hat. It allows me to be in the "zone". I don't know if you guys are Yankee fans or not but if you watch Andy Petite, Hat pulled down, glove up, eyes totally focused. Focus is the key to good control!

any one else have any thoughts?

Last edited:

Youngun23

Addicted to Softballfans
When I teach kids, or I'm helping an adult who wants to learn to pitch the first thing I tell them is prepare to be humbled, because there is no more humbling experience in the world than learning to pitch. You will bounce it, throw it off the backstop and everywhere in between. Then when you start to get comfortable you'll get ahead of batters and throw four straight balls to walk them, or hit a guy on an 0-2 pitch. All of this will be done as guys on the opposing team trash talk or ***** about you not having enough control (especially if you throw hard).
If you're prepared for that, and think you can get through it, then you'll be a great pitcher and it mentally prepares you for the toughest moments you'll face in a league playoff or a tournament.
As for actualy mechanics, my advice:
1. Find the same release point all the time, and master that first.
2. Make that arm act like a pendulum, and get a good swing. Like your hands in hitting they should accelerate through the downswing, and don't try to over throw/swing with your shoulders.
3. Don't even notice the batter. Whether I'm throwing BP to my team, or pitching in a real live game I focus on a catcher's glove, a screen, or a pole on the fence of the backstop and try to hit that.
4. Use the legs, just step and throw, if the lower half is dead, you'll have less consistency finding a release point, and it may ultimately lead to injury throwing all arm, and shoulders, or awkward elbow contortions.

5. For the modified guys I also encourage throwing a little windmill, learning the full arm swing, even if its just lightly makes learning the halfswing, going backwards first feel a little less awkward.

patdapitcher

Addicted to Softballfans
Great advice Youngun! I especially like the advice to forget the batter, I know it sounds cliche' but focus on the spot you are throwing the ball to.
This is great fellas, hopefully somebody is out there taking this good advice and using it.

gofisch

This is good. I wish I had this advice years ago. LOL. I don't even see the hitters, I let my catchers worry about them.

Here was my progression as a pitcher.

At first no one hit me worth beans :D
(because I couldn't throw strikes consistently)

Then I got rocked (because I could finally throw strikes, but they were all right on the plate)

Now I get hit, but not many are hit well(because I finally was able to pitch, location, location change of speed)

Don't quit guys, keep throwing.

sugarbearpr

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm taking all this advice in, because I just started pitching a little bit this year. I want to become the best, but it will take a lot of work. The main thing I need to work on is getting a consistent release point and to not rush my pitches. I notice I start off good, but then my fingers get sticky from the sweat and dirt turning to mud. When that happens I lose my focus and start rushing everything.

blakcherry329

Focus is definitely very important. You can't let anything bother you on the mound. Errors, bad strike zones, or people talking crap. Block everything out and just focus on the task at hand. Also, you need to have a short memory on mistakes and a long memory on scouting reports. If you give up a homer, get the next guy. If your team makes an error, get the next guy. Know your opponent, as best you can. Every batter has tendencies/weaknesses.

And, above all, DON'T WALK ANYONE!!! No defense for walks.

Sorry about the rambling...:D

patdapitcher

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm taking all this advice in, because I just started pitching a little bit this year. I want to become the best, but it will take a lot of work. The main thing I need to work on is getting a consistent release point and to not rush my pitches. I notice I start off good, but then my fingers get sticky from the sweat and dirt turning to mud. When that happens I lose my focus and start rushing everything.
hey Sugarbear have you tried a rosen bag? Trying to pitch a slick ball is tough. As for pitching to quickly, if I find I'm pitching quickly or too quickly because I tend to work fast just take a deep breath or 2 and re-focus. This is also where a good catcher comes into play, mention before the game that sometimes you work to quick and have him remind you to slow down and take a breath or 2 when you seem to be going into "pitching-machine" mode I like to call it. remember you guys are a team and must work together.

Youngun23

Addicted to Softballfans
One thing that was taught to me about pitching too quickly was to do a little landscaping of the dirt, and fill in your hole where you drag, that 5-10 seconds between pitches gives you good pause to gather yourself, especially if you're upset with an umpire/teammate/ or yourself before throwing the next pitch. I always teach my players, don't compound one mistake with another because of a loss of focus, or emotional control. The second mistake is the one I'll scream at you for. In pitching you can't be the biggest hothead on the field because your team will feed off of that, as long as you act in control they'll still feel like the game is in reach and won't quit on you, even if you know yourself you are struggling a bit. Whether you throw it down the middle or off the backstop, always look and act like you meant to do it.