Can an umprire change his mind after he has already made a call?

Echo3On3

Addicted to Softballfans
Last night the ump made a call at first base and the intial call the ump made he said the runner was safe then a few seconds later he chaged the call to the runner was safe? The other team was crying so it seems he changed it after he heard the other team complaing.

Thanks in advance.

tbatti

Addicted to Softballfans
Last night the ump made a call at first base and the intial call the ump made he said the runner was safe then a few seconds later he chaged the call to the runner was safe? The other team was crying so it seems he changed it after he heard the other team complaing.

Thanks in advance.

How dare he change the call from safe to safe. Unreal!!!!!

Schoeny

Addicted to Softballfans
We had one call a guy out when our catcher tagged him. Then out again when he tagged him a second time. Then when he kept running past our catcher who threw to first at another runner, called him safe at the plate, so OF COURSE THEY CAN. They can do whatever the hell they want. May not be by the rules, but they can.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Yes they can and yes they should be able to. Umpires are human, they make mistakes. If the umpire realizes after the play that his first call was incorrect for whatever reason they should fix it. Getting the call right is most important IMO

Nuccx2001

<font color="#006400">Just Livin' the Dream</font>

Thanks in advance.

This made me lolz

swingaway06

Addicted to Softballfans
We had one call a guy out when our catcher tagged him. Then out again when he tagged him a second time. Then when he kept running past our catcher who threw to first at another runner, called him safe at the plate, so OF COURSE THEY CAN. They can do whatever the hell they want. May not be by the rules, but they can.

You might remember this one but a couple weeks ago we appealed to 3B for a guy that tagged up early on a fly ball and the ump called the guy out for leaving early. Rarely seen that call work but the ump didn't hesistate calling the guy out.

The most bizzare reverse call I have been a part of was we turned an obvious double play and the ump completely blew it. I think our 2B caught a liner near the ground, threw to me at 1B and not only was my foot on the bag but I tagged the guy returning to 1B for good measure. Ump I think was so caught up with making sure it was not a trap he forgot about the runner that returned to 1B. As he got behind home plate he quietly told our catcher to tell the pitcher to appeal to 1B, we did and he called the double play out then the other team went bonkers after we had just given him crap for blowing the call in the first place. Ump kept his cool and admitted his mistake after the game and said he knew either way 1 team was going to be mad at him but he felt he needed to make the right call by overturning it since it was a really obvious mistake.

nutmegs

IDGAFOS
Who cares if it was the right call... just sayin. I'd rather an ump do that than make the wrong call, know it, yet stick to what he first called.

What about when you ask the ump if we are allowed any homeruns and he says yes but after you round first base he calls you out for hitting a ball over the fence?

metz225

Addicted to Softballfans
We had a play this past weekend where the SS made a diving catch and threw it to me at 1st to double up the runner. Initially the ump called the runner safe, but I told her that he is on my foot. Sure enough she took another look and called him out for the DP (5th of the game btw :cool:).

Just proves that they are human.