Cararact eye surgery

hitsone

It is time to get it done, depth perception is real bad, headlight glare dangerous. Going in May 10.
What can I expect right after the surgery? Dr says I cannot play ball for 1 week. I'm thinking it will be longer.
Will it take long to adjust to the new vision? Are there any side effects. My batting avg has been going downhill every year. Dr will only do one eye at a time.
Thanks for any info

bird25

34/30 Club #25
It is time to get it done, depth perception is real bad, headlight glare dangerous. Going in May 10.
What can I expect right after the surgery? Dr says I cannot play ball for 1 week. I'm thinking it will be longer.
Will it take long to adjust to the new vision? Are there any side effects. My batting avg has been going downhill every year. Dr will only do one eye at a time.
Thanks for any info

Buddy just had it done and he was seeing great the next day. I think the wait is so the eye can heal properly

It was the same when I had lasik years ago.

huzzdog

retired
my dad had both done... 1 he golfed the next day and it didn't heal right. the other he took a week and it turned out a lot better.
for what its worth

Terrordome666

Addicted to Softballfans
Not a big deal. I got it done 4 weeks ago. You will be good to go after a week, if you are worried, wear goggles.

defos

Good to hear, guys. I have one that will need surgery in the not too distant future, and I was thinking recovery was about 2 weeks. The vision in my eye with the cataract keeps getting worse every year. This last year, it got 4 to 4 1/2 steps in my lenses worse. My wife had both eyes done a number of years ago and got along well, but it's been so long I've forgotten how long it took her to recover. Thanks for the initial question and your answers!

hitsone

Thanks for the input.
The actual surgery does not worry me, I will come back slowly, take it easy.
One concern is how I will cope with one eye done and one eye undone with a prescription lens. Also how long till I get an appointment for the second eye. I am having distance surgery so hope that 2 different eyes will not prove detrimental to my sagging batting avg.

hitsone

Pop the surgery eye lense out of your glasses - Or simply use only one contact in the eye that is not done...

%%%
Well, Surgery went well 2 days ago. Things look a lot brighter and sharper. I can tell I will need reading glasses for the first time in my life. Going to follow advice and take it easy till our next games ,(10 days off). I did remove the lens from the "new" eye side. Next eye is July 12.
Hope to be able to continue my bat avg of .800.
Thanks for the help

defos

Got my eyes checked today, and have cataract surgery scheduled for Feb 13. Only need 1 eye done. The other has a cataract starting, but not a problem yet.
Here's a tip - DO NOT drive yourself home during a snow storm after getting your eyes dilated for the exam. My glasses get dark outside, so the light wasn't a big problem, but between 5" of fresh new snow and my eyes being dilated, I had zero depth perception.

defos

I had cataract surgery Feb 13 as stated above. The worst part of the whole thing was the 1st eye drop the nurse put in in prep. Burns! The anesthesiologist said I'd be awake through the surgery, but I was out by the time the nurse got the operating table jacked up. Woke up 15 minutes later when they woke me up to get me off the table and into the wheelchair. My eye felt very slightly irritated the next day, and I was extra sensitive to light for a week. I was skeptical about seeing with just 1 lens in my glasses, especially since I have no line bifocals for daily use, but I was fine except for reading which was a little tricky.

When I ordered new lenses, I asked how much change and correction there was in my left lens (surgery was in the right eye), thinking I could maybe get by with getting only a new right lens in my softball glasses. I was told I now basically have glasses for the bifocals. I now have the least amount of correction possible in each lens for distance - slightly nearsighted in 1, and slightly farsighted in the other. I'm 64, and for the first time since 5th grade, I don't need glasses to play ball - or drive. I'd read about other's experiences, but never dreamed I'd have this outcome!

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
I had my 2nd eye (cataract) surgery at the end of January. Surgery was no problem - I did wake up a bit early and saw the bright light before they finished - No pain involved (except the eyedrop prep for numbing and the IV insertion - I hate needles).

Afterwards, the eye is a little scratchy - Don't rub it - Eye drops for 30-days - PIA - In my case, with a little extra scratchiness, the doc prescribed an eyedrop that cost over $200 (Lotemax) and even the generic was $80. I don't think it really helped, but with your eyes, you take a little extra care (even when you're skeptical of the recommendation).

In the end, the doc and I are both very happy with the results.

I now have 20/20 vision in both eyes - Clarity is from about 6' to infinity. But it's been a real trial getting used to needing glasses up close. Since I was near-sighted in both eyes, this is a complete reversal of my entire life, of removing my glasses to see up close. For now, I bought two pairs of reading glasses at the Dollar Store - One is 1.00 for computer distance and the other is 1.50 for closer reading.

Weirdest part is now having to wear glasses to get a clean shave.

With the crazy virus response, there's no softball practice or games to play. So I'll have to wait to see what that is like.

%%%

Last edited:

defos

I was prescribed 3 different drops. Prolensa once a day, Besivance twice a day - both for 2 weeks starting the day before surgery - and Lotemax 3 times a day for 3 weeks starting the day of surgery. Total out of pocket cost was like $175, but the clinic gave me a coupon card that brought it down to $110. I don't know what it would have cost without insurance, but one of the drops had a $50 co-pay.

hitsone

Nothing to do in quarantine so I'll add a follow up,
getting the long distance lens was a mistake. Yes, the vision is better, driving and sports etc but it is a real irritation dealing with reading glasses for the first time in 75 years. I did not realize all the little things that I would not be able to see. eg can't read my cell, have to have reading glasses on under my safety glasses and my caller ID is unseeable. I get a lot of exercise walking around looking for glasses. I should have stayed with long distance glasses and hope I would not need any reading glasses. Positive is seeing colours better and seeing the TV.
My batting is about the same with more ball placement. My coach would not let me play for 3 weeks after each surgery so I did a lot of base coaching instead of playing. On the whole I recommend getting it done. Buy dollar store readers....a lot of them

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
It will take a while to get used to using glasses for reading - but I'd rather wear glasses reading than driving or softball. Since I've worn glasses every day for more than 50 years, wearing them around the house will be fine. I have oversize safety glasses for close work in the garage.

Buy dollar store readers....a lot of them

Yep - And the plastic lenses are hard to get clean - I swear they are fingerprint magnets. I found that Harbor Freight sells bundles of Microfiber wipes (like 12" x 12") - These work really well for cleaning those plastic lenses.

Still no league softball - Hopefully we will start by mid or late May --- Who Knows --- The Politically Promoted Panic is still going... and going... and going...

%%%