3. No TIP option

Otherwise I love the concept

Adam22

I love the idea but you have to have:
1. A brand new glove
2. $395
3. No TIP option

Otherwise I love the concept

this was my thought too. After spending $300+ on a glove having to drop another 400 on a mod seems steep.

Also the no TIP option is unfortunate

CircleL

Starting Player
I've seen two, both were very nice. Of course, each person's hand is slightly different, so what felt good to my hand probably feels perfect to the owner. My only knock is the empty holes left over from the removal of the thumb and pinky loops.

I agree with this. I know it is all about fit and saving weight but a small C-Mod patch sewn on to cover the 2 holes would look better IMO.
That said if I had the $$$ I would certainly consider it!

Jen_16

Coach
I got to check out a couple at the Rawlings Glove Summit and they are pretty sweet. However, the price tag makes it not worthwhile. Cool and comfortable but so too are a lot of gloves that don’t cost $600 after mods.

Soxfan8

Starting Player
I had my Pro12TC converted. I have no complaints. The glove came back extremely stiff, and will take quite a while to break in. The lining material is very nice, and is suede-like in texture. Most of the secure fit is accomplished with formed thumb and pinky finger stall inserts - the reason that the loops are no longer needed. The glove is a couple ounces lighter, but it's hard for me to perceive the difference.

Obviously, it's expensive and not for everyone. Is your glove crap because you don't get this modification? Of course not. But, I think the price is fair for the amount of work that goes into deconstructing and re-constructing the glove. TIP grips may become available in the upcoming year, but there is no specific timetable.

Hope this helps everyone.

23347818_626610591062524_6474592198615629824_n.jpg

Last edited:

Kodiak1

Addicted to Softballfans
It seems awesome and no doubt makes the gloves better, there's just a price hurdle...

Soxfan8

Starting Player
It seems awesome and no doubt makes the gloves better, there's just a price hurdle...

I get all the comments about the expense, which are entirely reasonable. For me, it was about incremental cost applied to a glove that I already own.

You end up having something unique, not just because it is tailored to your hand, but also in comparison to other stuff in your collection. But, for the price to be worth it, this has to have some value to you.

Kodiak1

Addicted to Softballfans
I get all the comments about the expense, which are entirely reasonable. For me, it was about incremental cost applied to a glove that I already own.

You end up having something unique, not just because it is tailored to your hand, but also in comparison to other stuff in your collection. But, for the price to be worth it, this has to have some value to you.
If you’re a glove guy, it would be on the bucket list...

sleepin4matty

Management Material
Does anyone have a Carpenter glove? They are intriguing to say the least...
i do. I love mine. only reason I stopped using mine for a bit and am using my Nike Shado more often is because I sent my Carpenter back for a repair (free repairs for life) and started using the Nike while I waited. My carpenter came back super stiff from the relace and I didn't have the time to re-break in my glove again since it was mid season. I highly recommend everyone grab a Carpenter if you have the opportunity.

David the Gnome

The Veteran
I agree with this. I know it is all about fit and saving weight but a small C-Mod patch sewn on to cover the 2 holes would look better IMO.
That said if I had the $$$ I would certainly consider it!
Totally agree with you and Dan. Even if you just took a small loop of lace and just tied a simple knot there, anything to fill those two holes, it would look better. That would personally drive me crazy, it just looks unfinished to me. I did post in Mr. Carpenter's thread over on gloveworks and asked about this, he said the empty holes just show that you have something special and he wasn't interested in filling them. I guess that wouldn't stop you as a customer doing it on your own after the fact, but still, for the price I would expect to not have any gaping holes in my glove.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
There is actually a simple and easy solution to the empty holes (that I'm surprised no one has yet to mention). It would serve no function beyond aesthetics but would add fractions of an ounce in weight.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
There is actually a simple and easy solution to the empty holes (that I'm surprised no one has yet to mention). It would serve no function beyond aesthetics but would add fractions of an ounce in weight.
Have Scott save the loops and return them with the glove. Then cut off the "loop" and feed the ends through the holes and tie them off.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Have Scott save the loops and return them with the glove. Then cut off the "loop" and feed the ends through the holes and tie them off.
Basically but I would just stitch the cut ends so the faux loop is just one strand (no noticeable bulge between the liner and shell with this method since it'll be a smooth flat piece).

sleepin4matty

Management Material
Before reading this thread, I was unaware of Carpenter. Now I am obsessed with getting one.
Damn my poor impulse control!!!
They are truly great gloves from an awesome company. Customer Service is top notch, you will most likely be communicating directly with Mr Carpenter himself if you call or email.

If you order a custom made Carpenter Trade glove they are 100% man-made synthetic leather, correct? Are the materials used during the c-mod process all synthetic as well?

Soxfan8

Starting Player
The replacement binding and laces on the C-Mod would be leather.

It’s actully the same laces that are put back in, but you could probably ask about switching to paracord, if that was really important to you. There are options for the binding material that include synthetic materials, like what would be used in an ordinary Carpenter glove. The wrist can also be replaced with piece of synthetic material.

blov10

Nortadakota
3ozs seems like a perceived difference. Are you really going to notice it? No. Are your hands going to be faster because of it? No.