Any Catching a ball but glove comes off.

BLACK DEATH

RED DEATH now
Guy hits a shot to the outfield. Out fielder runs to catch it, dives and ball enters the glove by the ground. Either the ball or him landing on the ground makes his glove completely come off his hand. Is the runner safe or out?

What if a line shot was hit to any infielder, and it enters his glove but the glove comes off and the ball is still in the glove?

Can anyone post a rule on this from any of the associations?

ryanclink

goes hard your way catch
If the ball doesn't leave the glove the batter is out. IF the fielder throws the glove at the ball, it's a 1 extra base error. each runner gets the base they were headed to plus 1 at the time the thrown glove makes contact. EG; runner on 1st and the of throws his glove up. That means the runner on 1b gets 2b as he was headed there already and is given 3b. The batter gets 2b awarded. That is how i understood the rule.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
No catch.

As for throwing the glove at the ball, the penalty is the batter and all runners are protected for 3 bases from the time of the pitch.

BLACK DEATH

RED DEATH now
So wich is it? Out or no catch?
Two different answers. I'd like to read the rule.
Also no glove was thrown at the ball. Idk where that came from.
Ball entered the glove but glove comes off his hand after the catch.
Either the weight of the ball, velocity or something made the glove come off.

Joker

If the ball doesn't leave the glove the batter is out. IF the fielder throws the glove at the ball, it's a 1 extra base error. each runner gets the base they were headed to plus 1 at the time the thrown glove makes contact. EG; runner on 1st and the of throws his glove up. That means the runner on 1b gets 2b as he was headed there already and is given 3b. The batter gets 2b awarded. That is how i understood the rule.

i don't think any of this is right

its not a catch and its a 3 base award if a thrown glove hits the ball

tcannizzo

Manager
Is the OP stating that the glove came off but is in the fielder's hands? or that it came off and the ball is in the glove on the ground?

Last edited:

ScootDog

Rather be surfing

This is all so wrong.

BLACK DEATH

RED DEATH now
We are assuming the ball was still in his glove.
He didn't throw his glove at the ball.
He dove, the ball landed in his glove and somehow the glove came off his hand?
So let's say the ball was still in his glove even though it came off his hand as soon as the ball hits the glove.
Is the batter safe or out?

Joker

No catch.

As for throwing the glove at the ball, the penalty is the batter and all runners are protected for 3 bases from the time of the pitch.

i don't think any of this is right

its not a catch and its a 3 base award if a thrown glove hits the ball

eddieq and joker are right

ureout is right. :D

Definition of catch/no catch. Most of the associations have that in their first section (i.e. rule 1).

No catch, live ball, play on, get what you get.

So let's say the ball was still in his glove even though it came off his hand as soon as the ball hits the glove.

:rolleyes:

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar

A glove not attached to a players hand with the ball in it is the same as the ball hitting the ground directly. Assuming no other rules were broken like throwing the glove at the ball.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q

And just in case it wasn't clear - in the situation you describe here

this is not a catch
the ball is live
no infraction has occurred
runners can advance with liability to be put out
the defense can retrieve the ball and attempt to get the runners out
the defense is required to meet at the bar afterward and make the guy who can't keep his glove on buy (ASA rule 16.5.B.1.a.ii)

ryanclink

goes hard your way catch
Agreed^ Not clear enough. I was thinking that the glove was thrown> 3 base error.

Sounds like an OF slid in for the catch and the glove came off with the ball still inside it having caught it out of the air AFTER the initial catch + roll.