ASA caught off base

ureout

The Veteran
R1 on 1st base batter rips a line drive to SS who tries to double up R1 who is off the bag....when SS released the ball R1 had not made it back to the bag for tag up....ball is thrown out of play...i know runner get 2 bases from point of release but does going back and tagging up count as 1 base therefore he only gets 2nd? or does he get 3rd? Looking in rule book but cant find it...if you have rule No. please post it thx in advance

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
We need a sticky for this one :rolleyes:

He gets third base in ASA.

They still have to retouch first.

Rule supplement 38 specifically talks about direction of travel.

Utrip counts the retouch as 1, I believe, so they would get 2nd

Correct.

Also in ASA if the runner who left the base to early doesnt retouch his base left to soon he may still be alright if the defense doesnt appeal it to the umpire correctly.
If its appealed his out.

Shoeless_Joe

Addicted to Softballfans
All above responses are spot on. And just in case you want the wording of the rule here it is ...

OVERTHROWS
Runners are always awarded two bases on overthrows that enter dead ball area or are blocked. All base awards are
governed by the position of the runners when the ball left the fielder's hand. Direction of runners has no bearing,
i.e., when an overthrow by an outfielder is made on a runner returning to first base and the ball leaves the outfielder's
hand before the runner gets back to first, the runner would be awarded third base.