Charging team to use bats

PhatCat

Addicted to Softballfans
Just charge a one-time, season renting fee. $20-30 bucks per guy who intends to use your bat.

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
I have always let everyone use my bats. This past weekend, I just unwrapped a my new Plague. I made it very clear to everyone...it's not a team bat. Go ahead and swing my psycho and gear virus, but the plague is off limits. Nobody complained. We had 13 guys show up to the last game and I think maybe 6 guys actually brought bats.

CD#5

Addicted to Softballfans
I said earlier in this thread that our guys all threw $$ in and they got a team bat, that's cuz I got a Booger and Recoil this season and taped them up how I like them. Put a knobcuff on them and then tape, the guys don't swing them cuz they don't like the knobcuff, oh well :)

93chromedaytona

Addicted to Softballfans
I hate when I put 1000 swings on a bat to get it hot, then all of a sudden everyone wants to use it. I have no problem telling them no. I even bought some of the "no team bat" stickers and had a guy ask me, "can I use your no team bat". I told him no, but you can use one of the others (not broken in yet). Had an identical bat right there and said you can swing this one (scn12bh) and he replied "I don't think this ones got as much pop"! I don't buy into the whole, you can swing it but if you break it, you buy it. I just tell them, the bat can break at any moment, and every swing you put on it, is a swing I don't get to put on it. If you don't like it, be a big boy and buy your own bat. I put my gamers back in my bag, but it sucks when you get on base and the next 2 guys use it while your on base.:mad:

Shook8

Addicted to Softballfans
I let my teamates old or new, swing anything in my bag, especially if it means giving us a better chance of winning. But next year I'm going to get 25 bucks from each player and let them vote on a team bat for them to use and that will take some swings off of my gamers.

bigstick9

TPS Player Rep
I was all for letting anyone use my bats, but my ASA bat lastest all of one season after it broke in because everyone wanted to use it... Im not going to let anyone use the bat im going to buy next I dont think.

earnstaf

BP Hero
You bought your bats, presumably, because you think they are hot and are better many other options available and offer some sort of advantage to you. Why would you NOT want to extend that advantage to your team? You're really going to let your team swing a hammer? You dont care about winning.

Stop being a cheap ass yourself.....

Also, the you break it you buy it concept is stupid as hell..... if you swing it 1000 times in BP, and it breaks on swing 1001 during a game while your teammate is swinging, they are not responsible. If someone on my team tried to make me pay for their bat I would tell them to EAD.

Shook8

Addicted to Softballfans
You bought your bats, presumably, because you think they are hot and are better many other options available and offer some sort of advantage to you. Why would you NOT want to extend that advantage to your team? You're really going to let your team swing a hammer? You dont care about winning.

Stop being a cheap ass yourself.....

Also, the you break it you buy it concept is stupid as hell..... if you swing it 1000 times in BP, and it breaks on swing 1001 during a game while your teammate is swinging, they are not responsible. If someone on my team tried to make me pay for their bat I would tell them to EAD.

this is the gospel

total gearhead

Addicted to Softballfans
people can be real selfish with their possessions. makes sense to a degree and is even more understandable where you see teammates being too cheap to buy a bat, treat your bats like crap (i had one dude constantly throwing my OG extended into the fence by our dugout and it hit the asphalt ground right below a few times. told him to chill), and even in instances where it wouldn't matter if they hit a cyclone or a 73 voltage they'd still hit dribblers back to the pitcher. personally though, i never cared too much. it's a bat. i've only told people not to toss them around like it's a frisbee. while i understand you not wanting to share it if it's about you just wanting to only hit it (personality), if it's about something like cost - give me a break. it's not a car. it's not motorcycle nor is it anything else that expensive or important.

if you spent $300+ for a bat and are worried about cost, i think that's a bit idiotic as you apparently spent beyond what you were comfortable with. buy something you feel comfortable letting others use and just make sure people use but don't abuse. if you don't wanna lend just because that's fine too. just spare me the cost reason.

93chromedaytona

Addicted to Softballfans
I have no problem letting someone use a bat. But I'm not supplying equipment for people who are to cheap to buy their own. Or when I say, you can use this bat, but not that one, and they still ask to use that one.

Bats are not as expensive as cars, but they still cost a lot of money. A lot of people can certainly afford to buy a $300 dollar bat, but that doesn't mean you want other people to get 1/2 of the swings out of it. And we all know the way it works. Guys want to swing it when its brand new, and then when its getting ready to break.

If your on a team where winning is that important, the guys should have their own equipment. Call it selfish, but when my gamer is on its last bomb dropping leg, it is not a team bat.

Last edited:

BigBL87

29 oz, you say?
Considering my league uses Clinchers and all of my bats are metal, I don't make a big deal out of my team using my bats.

R. Boogie

Addicted to Softballfans
I played with a bunch of church guys one time. We were getting ready for a church tournament and no one had a decent bat. I went to my local PIAS and got a used Demarini Black Steele. It had plenty of pop at the time. Well after practice 2 times a week for a month and a half, and 6 games in the tournament, the bat lost it's pop. Everyone noticed that it lost some pop but no one offered to help get a new one. So as a result, when I play with them, I use my Miken SF and they use that Demarini or an old Worth Wicked from WalMart. I might be cheap but my bat will now last a whole deal longer.

bneal04

Coach
thought u were a team??? if that bat makes your team win:cool: yea you paid up front...but on the team i play with a bat breaks we pitch in 4 a another team bat. but then again we friends and fam:confused:

G&Tbats

Addicted to Softballfans
I let my teamates old or new, swing anything in my bag, especially if it means giving us a better chance of winning. But next year I'm going to get 25 bucks from each player and let them vote on a team bat for them to use and that will take some swings off of my gamers.

I play on coed teams where guys will pick up my ri and fulk, look at it and say no, i like the Hammer:eek: no bs... I just shake my head.
My bats are replaceable idk.

Stratt

to many bats
Our rec team lost 2 guys this year because of the not a team bat rule.

Guys Connexion got split, so he went on ebay and bought one for $250.00. Next week he brought the bat and said this is not a team bat. So one guy grabbed it out of his bag and used it. They started shoving and swearing at each other, and we ended up losing to a team that has 3 senior citizens on it.

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans

Guys Connexion got split, so he went on ebay and bought one for $250.00. Next week he brought the bat and said this is not a team bat. So one guy grabbed it out of his bag and used it. They started shoving and swearing at each other, and we ended up losing to a team that has 3 senior citizens on it.

The guy that went into the bag to get the bat is a prick. If I guy tells you not to use it, you don't use it. The fact that he went into his bag to get it is even worse.
Some people will call the guy w/ the bat cheap, but the guy not willing to buy his own bat is cheap as well.
I play USSSA, so you can buy a bunch of different quality bats from retailers for less than $150.

SukTNutz

Addicted to Softballfans
I have 2 bats that I would like my team to use 1 is a Tator which guys are mashing the ball with and another is a nr OG Rusty and same result. I have a M9598 or what ever it is that my toxic and SCN 9 will be in the bag for frostbite and next year. THere is also a Wrath 2 which I want to break for a Crizzaze. Which I will let the tea,m use then back in the bag.

SukTNutz

Addicted to Softballfans

That guy is a tool a knob and a ****. Not to mention a retard for dropping 250 on a conecxtion.

JPritch

Addicted to Softballfans
I've let my team use my bats for the last few years and didn't want to be 'that guy' who kept a bat to himself, as one guy tried it once and it wasn't well received.

Well after my silver EVO broke, I bought an OG EXT that broke, picked up a replacement OG EXT that now has a crack, and teammates also swinging my SCN9.....not to mention my financial situation, I think this will be the last year of making them available for the team. I hate to do it, but it's time somebody else stepped up and provided bats for everyone to swing.

I can now understand where 'that guy' was coming from.

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
Look, if you've been playing for more than a year you should have your own bat. You can get a quality bat for $150 or less. Unless you're a masher, the bat should last you a few years especially if you don't take tons of BP with it. If you can't afford that, maybe you shouldn't be playing.

Teencie

Hank Moody Jr
I dont like random guys using my bats, so I tape them up to where nobody likes the grip. LOL Subtle but it works...

Jabroni21

Addicted to Softballfans
I've let my team use my bats for the last few years and didn't want to be 'that guy' who kept a bat to himself, as one guy tried it once and it wasn't well received.

Well after my silver EVO broke, I bought an OG EXT that broke, picked up a replacement OG EXT that now has a crack, and teammates also swinging my SCN9.....not to mention my financial situation, I think this will be the last year of making them available for the team. I hate to do it, but it's time somebody else stepped up and provided bats for everyone to swing.

Bro, I don't think your being "That Guy".. I've been around long enough and dropped 1,000's on bats throughout the years.. I think it all comes down to what your teammates values are.. I mean, yes, your all part of the same team, paid your fees, etc, but not everyone buys their own bat (hell, I've even seen teams share gloves! :eek:) but me personally, when you have your bat, you put it with the other ones.. People will then think it's a community bat, pick it up and swing it. If it breaks, their not going to even know.. I've seen the same as alot of us as well.. "Hey, can I swing your stick? Sure! You break it you bought it! OK, cool! Swing, CRACK!!!! Ut-O... Hey, you owe me XXX.00 for that bat since you broke it... ." Then there goes teams, friendships, etc... Its neverending...

jstenn

Addicted to Softballfans

Aint it the truth.:rolleyes: I love when they ask where is a good place to get a niw bat and I direct them here and point out some of the better deals and they baulk at $149.00 for a recoil. But then I am the jerk for not letting them swing my CNT+. I have been out due to injury or vacation and they even wanted me to send my bats for them to use.

Jabroni21

Addicted to Softballfans
Look, if you've been playing for more than a year you should have your own bat.

Troof!

You can get a quality bat for $150 or less.

Double Troof!!

Unless you're a masher, the bat should last you a few years especially if you don't take tons of BP with it.

Triple Troof!!!

If you can't afford that, maybe you shouldn't be playing.

Quadroooople Troof!!!!