Check out this completely closed back

NYC

Swag on 100.
Was watching MLB network, and of coarse I always look at players gloves. Stroman's glove caught my eye, I don't think I've ever seen a completely closed back.
16175011_web1_190328-IFD-Stroman-Jays.jpg

ry_man_gloves

Previous MLB Fully-Closed Glove Backs:

Roger Clemens Louisville Slugger TPX RC22 12.5"
Freddy Garcia Rawlings PROFG125 12.5"
Chris Carpenter Rawlings PROFG125 that he had custom stamped as PROCARP29 (along with an extra .25" added)
Chris Coghlan went closed-back with a Rawlings mesh outfield glove, presumably a 303

If you're going two-in-pinky, this won't feel any different than a Fastback glove does.
There are guys who go two-in-pinky with Fastback models, and they might as well have a closed-back, since they're not using the Fastback hole. That hole may lighten the glove by a fraction of an ounce, but many of those guys also have the Fastback exterior finger padding (which makes no sense with two-in-pinky) and that padding would add back the negligible weight lost from the Fastback hole.

NYC

Swag on 100.
Previous MLB Fully-Closed Glove Backs:

Roger Clemens Louisville Slugger TPX RC22 12.5"
Freddy Garcia Rawlings PROFG125 12.5"
Chris Carpenter Rawlings PROFG125 that he had custom stamped as PROCARP29 (along with an extra .25" added)
Chris Coghlan went closed-back with a Rawlings mesh outfield glove, presumably a 303

If you're going two-in-pinky, this won't feel any different than a Fastback glove does.
There are guys who go two-in-pinky with Fastback models, and they might as well have a closed-back, since they're not using the Fastback hole. That hole may lighten the glove by a fraction of an ounce, but many of those guys also have the Fastback exterior finger padding (which makes no sense with two-in-pinky) and that padding would add back the negligible weight lost from the Fastback hole.
The Clemens glove actually had a slit for the index finger, odd.
louisville-slugger-prorc-roger-clemens-12-5-pitcher-s-glove-2.gif

ry_man_gloves

The Clemens glove actually had a slit for the index finger, odd.
That opening was on one of the retail versions, but Google Roger Clemens TPX and you'll see that most of them don't have any opening.
I'm uploading pics of Clemens, Freddy Garcia & Chris Carpenter (both of whom had leather & mesh versions), along with Chris Coghlan.

Attachments

• roger-clemens-of-the-houston-astros-poses-during-media-day-on-26-at-picture-id3016819.jpeg
    roger-clemens-of-the-houston-astros-poses-during-media-day-on-26-at-picture-id3016819.jpeg
    35.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Freddy+Garcia+-Z7CGAmKSSqm.jpg
    Freddy+Garcia+-Z7CGAmKSSqm.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 20
  • freddy-garcia1-360x540.jpg
    freddy-garcia1-360x540.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 23
  • carpleather.jpeg
    carpleather.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 19
  • carp mesh.jpg
    carp mesh.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 21
  • chris-coghlan-of-the-chicago-cubs-hobbles-after-slamming-into-the-picture-id611035790.jpeg
    chris-coghlan-of-the-chicago-cubs-hobbles-after-slamming-into-the-picture-id611035790.jpeg
    19.6 KB · Views: 20

Hiltz

Built for comfort
There are guys who go two-in-pinky with Fastback models, and they might as well have a closed-back, since they're not using the Fastback hole.

I'd keep the Fastback hole just for a little ventilation. Those fully-closed gloves look like they'd be stuffy.

MaverickAH

That opening was on one of the retail versions, but Google Roger Clemens TPX and you'll see that most of them don't have any opening.
I'm uploading pics of Clemens, Freddy Garcia & Chris Carpenter (both of whom had leather & mesh versions), along with Chris Coghlan.

The retail version was a pretty crappy glove! Clemens actually used some pretty crappy gloves. I guess that's a tribute to his confidence and ability. Don't think that he was ever worried about comebacks or getting hit too hard...….

A much better version:

c4l6Szm.jpg

Last edited: