Chipper Jones to retire at seasons end?

HE15MAN

Go Gators!!!
Sure looks that way..

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5289293

ATLANTA -- Struggling through another disappointing season, Atlanta Braves third baseman Chipper Jones told The Associated Press he would meet with team officials Tuesday to discuss his future and acknowledged that he's considering retirement.

Jones
Jones

Jones declined to comment directly on whether he'll retire at the end of the season, but it seemed clear that he's made up his mind and merely needed to work out a settlement with the team over the $28 million in guaranteed money he's owed for the 2011 and 2012 seasons.

"It's obvious that it's something I've been thinking about," Jones told the AP after arriving at Turner Field in his blue pickup truck about 2 p.m. ET. "I need to go through the proper channels. Once those have all been taken care of, everybody's questions will be answered."

The 38-year-old Jones, who won the NL MVP award in 1998 and led the league in hitting just two years ago, said he planned to meet with general manager Frank Wren and manager Bobby Cox to discuss some "red tape issues." Asked if those involved a resolution of his contract, Jones replied, "That would be fair to say."

He struggled last season and indicated that another difficult year would likely lead him to consider retirement, even though it might involve walking away from a huge amount of money.

This season has been even tougher for Jones, even though the Braves are leading the NL East. He's battled injuries and was hitting just .228 with three homers and 22 RBIs heading into the opener of a three-game series against the Tampa Bay Rays.

The Braves have gotten more production at third base out of utility infielders Omar Infante (.314, one homer, 16 RBIs) and Brooks Conrad (.280, three homers, 12 RBIs), which have made Jones' troubles stand out even more.

"Well, anytime you've struggled at the plate and you're having trouble producing, it's frustrating," Jones told the AP, standing outside the Braves clubhouse. "I'm used to being in the middle of everything, but it hasn't been happening. Hopefully I'll have a better second half and really help contribute to this team staying in first place."

Near the close of the 2009 season, after seeing his batting average decline nearly 100 points from a career-best .364 in 2008, Jones contemplated quitting.

"If I back up this year with the same kind of year next year, I don't want to play the game," Jones told AP last September. "The game is not fun to me when I'm not playing up to my standards.

"I just feel like there are other things I'd rather be doing. Family has a lot to do with it. My boys are getting big enough now, my two littlest ones are going to be starting ball and grade school. I just feel like I want to be there for all that."