Choose wood or 1 piece non composite league?

Reubeo28

So I'm looking to join a fall league. My options are a wood bat only league or a 1 piece non composite only league. Which would you choose?

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
I guess I don't care either way.
I'd try doing some BP with a wood bat to see how you like it. There's a lot of satisfaction hitting a wood bat, but I would think it's going to have much less performance than the alternative.

Country469

I guess I simply am smart enough to realize you can have low scoring games with any bats. Ever heard of the war on the shore? Two of the best teams ever assembled and at least 10 guys with signature bats? Low scoring. Guess its not just the bats.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Wood bat is more similar to baseball than any other type of softball. Think lower-scoring games with more emphasis on defense, smart hitting, and good baserunning. Softball with composite bats has become more of a homerun derby than anything. A hard-hitting team with weak defense can easily beat a decent-hitting team with solid defense. Not the case with wood bats.

Aluminum bat softball is somewhere between wood and composite.

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm playing in a non-composite coed league this year and it's actually really fun. Lots of base hits and a LOT less home runs.

Really enjoying hitting with my PST Search & Destroy. :)

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
I guess I simply am smart enough to realize you can have low scoring games with any bats. Ever heard of the war on the shore? Two of the best teams ever assembled and at least 10 guys with signature bats? Low scoring. Guess its not just the bats.
All else equal, a wood bat league will be lower scoring. It would probably be a significant factor in someone deciding between the two options.

Country469

Since the op told you so much about his leagues and competition, go ahead and share what he posted in PMs please..............or stop making assumptions based on bats that arent that far apart in performance

NYC

Swag on 100.
Wood. I got a new maple c271 last week and hit a scorcher off the LF fence over the weekend, it was orgasmic. But this was baseball, don;t know how it will feel with softball.

Reubeo28

I don't have either bats. So cost might play a factor. Also the wood bat league is cheaper fees. Issue with wood bat league is they use 44/375 balls and it sounds like my bat life wouldn't be so good with that ball. Thank you everyone for your input.

Country469

I don't have either bats. So cost might play a factor. Also the wood bat league is cheaper fees. Issue with wood bat league is they use 44/375 balls and it sounds like my bat life wouldn't be so good with that ball. Thank you everyone for your input.

A 44 375 will not hurt your bat anymore than other softballs will if the bat is wood.

A metal bat league, while offering more forgiveness than wood, will still not be a home run derby hitting fest type league. I'd expect "lower" scores in either type of league as most hitters now (see kvander) expect the bat to do it all and there are far less natural good swings out there. The sweet spot on metals is much smaller than composites too. Unless its very short fields, you likely won't see very many bombs or high exit speeds.

Country469

alright then, spell it out. Prove me wrong. Prove the scores would be higher. Or stfu and stop giving advice like the fat slob you clearly are.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
You literally also made the argument that the scores would be lower than composite leagues because the bats don't hit as well as composite, so you understand that at least. Everyone else here seems to understand that wood bats don't hit as well as metals. Maybe you can follow where logic takes us next.
So your tactic now is to double down and attempt insults to win an the argument?

Country469

My tactic is to keep loling at you knowing how scores will look without having any ****ing information at all making giant ass assumptions.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
Those balls would make my decision easy. Single wall league. If they were using 52's I would chose the wood league as they are better suited to wood bats and besides a wood league would be fun with the 52's

blakcherry329

Imo, softball is softball. Either league should be enjoyable. I don't understand why you can't have fun playing in any league, as long as it's competitive.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Care to elaborate why?
I already have a metal one piece, it would be more durable than wood, and like MarlSr I'd want to hit 52s if we were using wood. I've only owned one wooden softball bat and it cracked on the handle on my first swing with it. Left a bad taste in my mouth. I do have a wooden baseball bat I assume they'd let me use though.