CL22 Discussion from 2013 to 2016 Models

THESHOE

Starting Player
Tell me your thoughts for those who seem to swing and collect them annually.

Are some modeals really ideal for 40/375 balls?

Over others that are more ideal for 52/275 - 52/300 balls?

Looking to know more about each model.

So far from what I recall 2013 and Mad Dawg was a great Grey Dot 40/375 bat and once worked in with some BP it was good with the 52s as well.

The new 2015 felt soft and really g2g with the Hot Dot 52s right away.

Just added the '14 and '16 and what to know what the thoughts are and what to expect.

I will have to go out and find a Mad Dawg or 2013 now to say I have one of each year collected up.

I just find these to be the bats in 2pc where the more you hit them the better the barrel get but the handles do not become inconsistent and super bendy. They stay nice and firm like they were out of wrapper.

Something that's been irking me with the Freak 12 and Assault G4 after I get past 500ish hits, the handles seem to get flexier which I hate the feel of. I don't want to keep flipping to get NIW ones because that's when I like them.

Keeping my last F12 til it dies, but everything else will be a CL22 collection that I will all work on swinging and breaking in.

Just curious what the thoughts are, as our Canadian forum will just result in people saying CL22 are pooh or very little opinion. :bigok:

Last edited:

TRaj2327

What you are probably feeling in the handle is actually the transmission of the feel of the barrel through the handle. In aluminum the feedback is very different than that of composite. 500 swings is generally where many bats really start to get super nasty and the feel of the barrel will change.

I really shouldn't throw in my input though on each model though because I have swung them all and typically upgrade to the next one every year.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Do you upgrade as you feel each one gets better?

I understand what you mean about feel & feedback.

But I really do feel the flex grow whippier in composite handle vs a more consistent flex in the alloy over time.

What you are probably feeling in the handle is actually the transmission of the feel of the barrel through the handle. In aluminum the feedback is very different than that of composite. 500 swings is generally where many bats really start to get super nasty and the feel of the barrel will change.

I really shouldn't throw in my input though on each model though because I have swung them all and typically upgrade to the next one every year.

bird25

34/30 Club #25
If it hits one ball well it'll him em all well....

They all kill harder balls, but the 2013 was the best one with the hycons we use in league. The 2015 is a small step behind and even with a ton of swings my 2014 never got really good like the other 2.:(

I never owned a 2013, but I loved my 2014 once summer hit. I despised it all spring until I finally got enough hits on it. (Maybe it was a mental thing, probably was). I went through a stretch where I was hitting missiles that could defend the USA against North Korea if they decided to attack. It cracked that November/December and I got a 2015. I never got into the same groove with the 2015 and I swung my UFLIP more last year.

Haven't bought a 2016 yet; I plan on using USA F4T4RE and 2015 CL22 for most of the year instead of buying a new one.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Mad Dawg = 2013.... And I will be adding one soon, buying cheap locally as they are nothing special up here. The actual 2013 would be a tougher find.

I personally so far prefer the 2015 but haven't hit my 2016 yet.

Interesting though that there was a comment above leaning to Uflip. I thought that bat was terrible, and I broke 2 right away the same way.

For how much hype that one got, it was a let down for me. Glad I didn't let it convince me to overlook Demarinis in future. It still wasn't a hotter bat for the 52 than a CL22 was. And I thought that was the whole point of the Uflip and Divergence tech...

Interesting to see many opinions, but nothing was brutally negative towards any specific ones.

THESHOE

Starting Player
They feel awfully similar to me too.

Just seem to be g2g sooner the newer the line.

The 2015 was just on par with my Freak 12 about 20 hits into it.

hamneggs

I never got the feel for the 2013, even though everyone says it was the hottest.
2014 (pinky) was ok, nothing special.
2015 (white) has been LIGHTS OUT from the start...enough for me to buy a 2nd one and put down my beloved Mikens. :eek:

THESHOE

Starting Player
I am almost with you there. Same feelings. Except I still swing my F12 at times, and bought the 2016 just to have 1 of each year happening.

Which is why this conversation is great. Everyone seems to have different opinions.

Around here A LOT of guys swore by the 2014 pinky. Over the 2013. Some swore by the 2013. No one really said much about the 2015, which is why I was stunned when I unwrapped and hit it. It raked right away out of wrapper. Other CL22s needed a little bit of work first.

2015 (white) has been LIGHTS OUT from the start...enough for me to buy a 2nd one and put down my beloved Mikens. :eek:

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
2013 was gtg on 200 mixed bp balls. I was still in love with my Wanted and didnt give it the love it deserved.

THESHOE

Starting Player
200 is nothing really, and I would agree with your statement.

The 2015 took about 1 round of BP. By the second round it was great.

TRaj2327

Do you upgrade as you feel each one gets better?

I understand what you mean about feel & feedback.

But I really do feel the flex grow whippier in composite handle vs a more consistent flex in the alloy over time.

Generally I upgrade because I want the newest one and when you see that there is only a difference of 1-2 MPH at 95-28 MPH exit speeds, it doesn't make much difference.

This year I'll more than likely be swinging the Vizion. I got one mid year last year but didn't want to make the mid-season switch. I'd also like to swing an inline bat since I'm not affilitiated with a store at all and feel it's a little better for me in terms of providing unbiased feedback.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Well my impression is the 2016 barrel felt a little firmer than 2015.

Nonetheless after 2 rounds of 12 hits, the 2016 barrel woke up and spat really well after.

Last 2 year's of CL22 are good bat with quick break in.

The older 2 models are equally as good just found that they needed a lot more work.

2015 and 2016 just need one session of BP work and I can call them gamers. :bigok: