CL22 = Legend?

jefflam79

Get away from that Bat!!!
This may have been covered when the CL22 came out but I haven't used any of the new Demarini bats. My all time favorite bat was the legend and when I saw the CL22 it looked like the same bat (12" barrel, aluminum handle, etc...). What do you think as far as how they compare?

Last edited:

Begs

Addicted to Softballfans
No way...barrel size and the words demarini on it are about all they have in common hahaha

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I felt it was very similar to the legend, first thing that came to mind. Both of mine were the 28oz variety of that males a difference.

bird25

34/30 Club #25
I felt it was very similar to the legend, first thing that came to mind. Both of mine were the 28oz variety of that males a difference.

I though that the 30 CL22 and 28 Legend felt very similar. Of course I like them both.:)

TRaj2327

Legend
Balanced
Soft feel
Aluminum handle
12" barrel
Quad wall Stacked composite

Cl22
Light endload
Soft feel
Aluminum handle
12" barrel
Multilayer S.one composite

Sounds quite alike to me. I didn't think they were too far off from each other.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Some people need to believe bats are special or really different when they are not and is more likely a result of the differences in which bat is broken in.

There's only so much a manufacture can do to a bat with long vs short barrels, flexy vs stiff handles, and end load vs balance and still pass the test standard. It's inevitable there will be overlap.

JPG

Lefty
I have been swinging the LEGEND for years. When the new stamp rule came out I was forced to find a new love. The CL22 is what I now swing.
The CL22 is not legend but the closes thing to it. I would say the CL22 is deff more stiff on the barrel. Its feels like a softer stadium 2 barrel to me.

I had a lot of the first ones with defects and they seem to be softer then the new ones I'm trying. My first ones kill and feel explosive.

TRaj2327

I agree JPG. It's definitely not the same bat, but it is VERY close. I too was a big fan of the Legend.

ck1

The Madness
It's funny... I remember hitting w/some local DeMarini factory hitters and Larsen just before the OG stadium was released. Most of us opined that the OG was a durable, slightly endloaded Legend.

With the CL22 I'd say it's about as close to a Legend as anything that has been produced except it has a slight endload. It's a sweet bat for sure. I wish they'd make a longer barreled version of it for us guys who need one.

Darracq

I have been swinging the LEGEND for years. When the new stamp rule came out I was forced to find a new love. The CL22 is what I now swing.
The CL22 is not legend but the closes thing to it. I would say the CL22 is deff more stiff on the barrel. Its feels like a softer stadium 2 barrel to me.

I had a lot of the first ones with defects and they seem to be softer then the new ones I'm trying. My first ones kill and feel explosive.

This answers some questions for me. I had one of the later cl22`s. I didnt like the feel of it a whole lot, kind of stiff, It had good pop but not a good feel to me.Didnt feel explosive at all to me.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
Legend
Balanced
Soft feel
Aluminum handle
12" barrel
Quad wall Stacked composite

Cl22
Light endload
Soft feel
Aluminum handle
12" barrel
Multilayer S.one composite

Sounds quite alike to me. I didn't think they were too far off from each other.

I haven't yet had a chance to swing the cl22, so this is just based on the theory that all parts = the whole... but I don't think it takes much change to affect a bat's feel.
the og juggy and j2 were quite different, but had more in common than the above(basically only changed the composite weave)

i'm guessing from what I've read, the cl22 is nowhere near the tennis racket the legend was. it may have a soft barrel, but unless it's WAY softer than everything else that was released this year, it's not legend soft.

so again, while I can't state my opinion of the cl22, I still feel that the sum of the parts does not equal the whole. just because it has the same barrel length, doesn't mean it has the same feel, and one 'soft' barrel doesn't equal another 'soft' barrel. what I can say is I do find the balance and swing weight quite different. the 27oz legend I had was one of the heaviest 27's I've ever swung, and I've now got a 28oz cl22 that imo swings only a hair heavier than the 27oz legend did.

JPG

Lefty
This answers some questions for me. I had one of the later cl22`s. I didnt like the feel of it a whole lot, kind of stiff, It had good pop but not a good feel to me.Didnt feel explosive at all to me.

Exactly - just keep this in mind. all my cl22 bats have changed every 200 swings.

JPG

Lefty
It's funny... I remember hitting w/some local DeMarini factory hitters and Larsen just before the OG stadium was released. Most of us opined that the OG was a durable, slightly endloaded Legend.

With the CL22 I'd say it's about as close to a Legend as anything that has been produced except it has a slight endload. It's a sweet bat for sure. I wish they'd make a longer barreled version of it for us guys who need one.

I really dont know what the long barrel does but make the bat feel weighted diff. I only use a few inches of the bat to hit the ball.

hamneggs

So if the CL22 is closest to the Legend (personally didn't care for the feel), which new stamp is closest to the og Stadium (which I loved) ?

Darracq

So if the CL22 is closest to the Legend (personally didn't care for the feel), which new stamp is closest to the og Stadium (which I loved) ?

To me the og stadium was super soft, closest thing to me is a well broke in j3u, and only a small part of the barrel felt close.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
how about closest to a not broken in og stadium? haha. I only put about 300 hits on the one I had, but really liked the feel

TRaj2327

Then it was still pretty stiff. The OG gets buttery soft after about 800-1000 and gets silly hot around 1500.

The legend and the stadium were very similar IMO. balance point was the major difference.
The CL22 is the closest thing to either one of them. The J3 feels way too crisp compared to the other two and probably way more endloaded.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
yes, the og stadium I swung had a crisp feel barrel, still felt similar to the one.12 imo, which I also liked.

i'd heard grumblings that the cl22 stadium was the closest utrip bat to the j3a, which is definitely my favourite feel out of the new line so far. figured i'd give it a shot, now that every league I can play in accepts the new utrip stamp, I can justify a 'need' to have a couple extras, haha.

I am a little concerned that you think the j3u is 'crisp', as I've found it to be quite the opposite. I don't mind a soft bat(loved the og juggy), but I don't want anything softer than the j3u now. it performs well, but it's very dead feeling. if this is true, i'll probably have a cl22 for sale in the spring. :( I just don't like the super soft barrel, stiff handle combination. a crisp barrel, flexy handle is much nicer for me. and I thought the cl22 stadium was going to have a crisp barrel with a fairly stiff handle. but hey, maybe if my og stadium never got butter soft, the cl22 won't get that way for me either

Last edited:

bird25

34/30 Club #25
CL22 closes to OG stadium. CL22 is not a legend.

I will kindly disagree with this, but part of the issue is we were hitting 44/375s with the legend and 52/300s with the CL22 so they will feel different in that sense. Just the way the CL22 reacts to harder balls, the swingweight in 28 oz and the feel of a mis hit reminds me more of the legend than any other Demar I have swung.

TRaj2327

I agree. I said that the CL22 is very SIMILAR to both the Stadium and the Legend. Of course it's not going to be identical, that will never happen and we're talking about 3 different bats with 3 different composite technologies.

bird25

34/30 Club #25
I, personally, had a love/hate relationship with the OG Stadium. There were days it was awesome and days I couldn't find the SS and i was awful.

With the Legend and CL22 it is all love/love all the time. Neither one has ever let me down for more than 1 AB.:D

TRaj2327

It's all mental, which is fine, I have swung many bats that I just could not get used to. I think we all have some like that.

The 3 bats swing way too similar to hit that differently from one to the other. All 3 are near the top of my favorite sticks.

Last edited: