Cleats vs. Turfs Vs. Trail

riazp

Part Time Player
Played in molded cleats last season. Just ordered Turfs for this season. I feel that ont he fields we play if the field is dry turfs will be better for my base running, if the field is damp or humid i might go with my cleats.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
3n2 turfs have been one of my faves and go-to shoes for the past few seasons now. I really enjoy Salomon shoes as well, but the 3n2s have a tad wider of a toe box which fits my feet well. I've been able to get a couple years out of the 3n2s... that averages 3 nights a week of ball for about 20-22 weeks a summer plus a few weekend tourneys here and there. Hard to beat. Plus they are super light and very reasonable price wise. Salomon will give you durability and comfort as well. Just pay more for them and they don't fit a wide foot quite as well. If you ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE an official "trail" shoe, then go Salomon. If you're open to a turf, then 3n2.

rainbow warrior

Addicted to Softballfans
What a bunch of douches on here. Hey, OP, I've tried molded cleats, turfs, and trails over the past 3 yrs. Had had the best "grip" and "comfort" with the Salomon Speedcross 3's. They are outstanding. The Mizuno "Blasts" were ok, but the Salomon's are great on dirt or grass.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
Cleats - maximum traction but not the most comfortable
Turfs - bulky, heavy but very comfortable
Trails - kind of in between, not as bulky as turfs but not as much traction as cleats

I use all 3 depending where I'm playing for the night. Mizuno Blaze cleats for the outfield since there is dew on the grass. Boombah turfs when I pitch. Addidas Kanadia for infield

Last edited:

pontiacfb78

Star Player
Get a pair of trails, but keep your cleats around. I got a pair of Speedcross 3 GTX's last year. They are great for infield or outfield when its dry, and are as comfortable as any running shoe, but I find they don't have enough grip for outfield when its wet, or when there are mounds of grass clippings on the field. Mind you I'm in Vancouver. We get a lot of rain and the grass can be a bit long.

Paulypal

Addicted to Softballfans
For the best performance there is no doubt that cleats are the best choice. I mean getting a good pair of cleats which can be comfortable also. Cleats remove all doubt about traction.

Everything is just settling for comfort (somewhat) over performance.

SmokinRopes

Addicted to Softballfans
NB trails are good to go! Good traction, durability and they weigh next to nothing. Only thing I didn't like was the lace tabs crapped out quick and the sole inserts were thin. I replaced both

17HnH

Old Made New Glove Relacing Owner
My experience:
Turfs (Asics) - used for 2 years...marginal traction & marginal comfort.
Cleats (Nike & Under Armor) - used for 8 years...decent comfort & excellent grip.
Trail Shoes (Salamon Speedcross 3) - used for 2 years...excellent grip & above average grip.

I wear Speedcross 3's 99% of the time and kept my cleats for super wet conditions which we don't get very often in CO.

SmokinRopes

Addicted to Softballfans
I have the 610v3, by far the best shoe for softball I have owned. If you decide to replace the laces, use Quick Laces. They're 7 bux and paracord material so it self tightens and you'll never have to tie them again. I will say that nothing beats a cleat in traction so its good to have some around if you know its going to be wet.

zuke 37

Star Player
You need the spikes for hitting.

If you play softball, football, basketball, soccer, indoor soccer, golf, and hike the mountains. You need 7 different pairs of shoes
If you got a date to the prom, you will need 8.

It's 2015, we don't play all sports in gum shoes. You will spend $300 on a bat, and 7 bucks on shoes.

Gdombal84

Extra Hitter
im personally stoked to make the switch! i have been plauged by foot problems and think that trail shoes will benefit me more.

Dan411

Star Player
im personally stoked to make the switch! i have been plauged by foot problems and think that trail shoes will benefit me more.

I have had plantar fasciitis and am now dealing with bursitis. Trails leave my feet in much better shape after the game.

pontiacfb78

Star Player
Its totally true. When I tell people that I paid $130 for my Salomons they look at me like I'm insane. Then I hear about guys buying 2 or 3 $200 bats every year, and boasting about getting a pair of cleats for $25. Priorities people.

Superstar555

Addicted to Softballfans
Trail shoes are much easier on my knees and especially my back. As you get older these things become more important...

I buy last year's Adidas from the outlet store for $40 and they last a full year of 2-4 games a week plus a few weekend tournaments.

Also I'd like to add that with trail shoes you can put them on at home and wear them to the field without looking like a doofus. I forgot my cleats more than once in the last 20ish years of ball so it's nice to have my gamer shoes on before I hit the door.

jrxp

Pull side Judy
If u buy 130 dollars saloman shoes ur crazy. 25 dollar outlet shoes. Spent that money on a bat and learn how to hit and be a stand out cuz ur skills not ur fancy shoes And below average

TurboLumpy

Hum it in there

Call me crazy...

These are quite a bit nicer than the Speedcross 3's they're replacing. Better tread/grip, lighter, and lower to the ground.
Got 3 years out of the Speedcrosses, 6 games a week plus running and they're still going strong. Gonna keep them for running but the tread has started to wear down.

Jomatty

Starting Player
I use my trail shoes for softball as well as other outdoor activities. I've always had a pair of hiking boots and a pair of hiking shoes that I wear when I go hiking, camping, shooting etc. Those shoes have always been expensive. When you are a fatty but still like to hike, camp and otherwise enjoy the outdoors a lot you definitely buy good shoes/boots to do it. When I realized I could play softball in shoes that worked well for this it made things very simple. The sauconys I had did really well but the speed crosses definitely have better traction. They also work well for most light duty outdoors things (don't try to carry a heavy pack with speed crosses). My hiking shoes in the past definitely had less aggressive tread but for guys that hike I think choosing a shoe that works for both activities is the way to go. While shoes like the sauconys did not have the tread the speed crosses had they still got better traction than any turfs imo. They were plenty comfortable to wear around town, to coach or attend my sons sporting events as well as the trail or field.

Paulypal

Addicted to Softballfans
If u buy 130 dollars saloman shoes ur crazy. 25 dollar outlet shoes. Spent that money on a bat and learn how to hit and be a stand out cuz ur skills not ur fancy shoes And below average

Sumtimz I think playaz think dat becuz dey buy a gud stik dat dey cud hit. Sumtimz it payz to buy gud kwalitee stuf cuz its uzalee ten timz beta den outlet stuf.

It not bein cuz he think he bein all fanzy & $ h it

Wurd to yo momz

Last edited:

pontiacfb78

Star Player
Sumtimz I think playaz think dat becuz dey buy a gud stik dat dey cud hit. Sumtimz it payz to buy gud kwalitee stuf cuz its uzalee ten timz beta den outlet stuf.

It not bein cuz he think he bein all fanzy & $ h it

Wurd to yo momz

Lolz! truth be told, the guy at the Salomon store told me that the SC3s would add 20ft to my hits, which was 5 more than Mr. T told me I could get by swinging one of his gold chains....ya know, so it was money well spent...

Last edited:

Whitey0817

Addicted to Softballfans
I finally got to try out my new Salomon Fellraiser's in a few games last weekend...they are by far the most comfortable "trails" I've worn for playing ball. They're not a minimalist type running shoe but still very light, and the tread was awesome on the wet infield and they were too good in the saturated outfield as I was tearing chunks out of the ground instead of slipping on top of it, I've had reeboks, adidas, a few turfs, and I'm sticking with Salomon from now on