Clincher gold balls and shaved bats

Chuck G.

Addicted to Softballfans
Some one asked me if I ever heard about someone hitting a clincher gold ball with a bat that has been shaved. I didn't have an answer as i would think it wouldn't make the ball have much of a trampoline effect because of the mush ball like it would when hitting the other balls.

Does anyone know the answer if it make the ball travel further or just a dud

ShortYellowBus

The only way to get more performance from those low compression balls....Go heavier with the bat. You’ll have to work on your swing.

blakcherry329

I can say, emphatically, YES. Shaved bats hit regular Clinchers farther, let alone Clincher Golds. I've been playing in Clincher modified leagues for 15+ years. Clincher Golds are just a step below a "regular" softball, imo. They are markedly better than the F-12s. So much so that all my leagues went to the F-12s, from the Golds, years ago for safety purposes.

Mush ball is a relative term, imo. If you've held a Gold and a 52/300, side by side, the 52 is harder. However, the Gold is hard but has the thicker leather cover, so it feels softer. The ball will still compress the shell of the bat for that trampoline effect.

Every team in my modified leagues have shaved bats and you can tell when the ball is hit. It definitely will make a difference.
The whole "swing the heaviest bat" theory was good for metal bats. But a composite bat will hit these balls farther and it's not even close.
Ask any of the NY players on here what bats are being used. 99% will say composite.

Chuck G.

Addicted to Softballfans
Good to know...I am in a slow pitch clincher gold league and I swing the 2019 demarini flipper og ASA, and the ball jumps off this bat pretty well

jlant

I can say, emphatically, YES. Shaved bats hit regular Clinchers farther, let alone Clincher Golds. I've been playing in Clincher modified leagues for 15+ years. Clincher Golds are just a step below a "regular" softball, imo. They are markedly better than the F-12s. So much so that all my leagues went to the F-12s, from the Golds, years ago for safety purposes.

Mush ball is a relative term, imo. If you've held a Gold and a 52/300, side by side, the 52 is harder. However, the Gold is hard but has the thicker leather cover, so it feels softer. The ball will still compress the shell of the bat for that trampoline effect.

Every team in my modified leagues have shaved bats and you can tell when the ball is hit. It definitely will make a difference.
The whole "swing the heaviest bat" theory was good for metal bats. But a composite bat will hit these balls farther and it's not even close.
Ask any of the NY players on here what bats are being used. 99% will say composite.

How about using the Demarini Juggy OVL 2018 composite bat. Any suggestions with using mush balls with this bat?

blakcherry329

How about using the Demarini Juggy OVL 2018 composite bat. Any suggestions with using mush balls with this bat?
I don't see too many Demarinis in my Clincher leagues. Lot's of Eastons and Mikens. But, like I said, any composite will do well. I use the Easton Blue Line as my gamer.