ASA coaches boxes

danielmo

Manager
I coach rec 12u fastpitch. Is their a rule that requires I stay in the coaches box? I tend to move around a lot (on the foul side of the field obviously) and tend to find myself out of the coaches box. I don't venture super far out but I had an umpire tell me at our last game that I MUST stay in the box while my team is on offense. I have never heard of this before nor has any other ump said anything (have been coaching multiple seasons for 4 years now). Any input? Thanks!

Comp

Addicted to Softballfans
The coaches box is where the coach is restricted to prior to the release of the pitch. There is no restriction after the pitch is released. I really dont care how far back a coach stands as foul balls tend to get ripped right at them, but I will tell a coach to move back to the box if they are getting to close.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
The coaches box is where the coach is restricted to prior to the release of the pitch. There is no restriction after the pitch is released. I really dont care how far back a coach stands as foul balls tend to get ripped right at them, but I will tell a coach to move back to the box if they are getting to close.

^^^^
This.

I've noticed a lot of coaches have "happy feet" when coaching their girls on the bases, especially at first base. They'll try to stand so far back, they're almost standing next to me when I'm on the line, and that's just too darn far. I'll ask them to move back up towards the coach's box.

But once the pitch is released, you can move around, so long as you don't interfere with the defense.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

Speaking ASA, maybe. While the definition of the CB makes such a statement, Rule 4.7.2 is more specific:

2. A base coach shall stay within the confines of these boxes with both
feet.
a. A coach may leave the coach’s box to signal the runner to slide,
advance or return to a base or move out of a fielder’s way as long
as the coach does not intentionally interfere with the play.
b. A coach may not leave the coach’s box to give verbal communications
or signals to the batter.
EFFECT: After a warning, an offensive conference will be
charged.

It should be noted that this is more of a game control rule and umpire's should apply it when necessary and not be over-vigilant unless there is a direct effect to the players or game.

danielmo

Manager
Right on for all the feedback I will quiet my happy feet a little while on the field. I had just never seen or heard of this before.

2fastxeg

Outstanding Bad Dealer
I'd like to add a question to this regarding ASA rules.... Hypothetically, if there was a soft pop-up foul ball hit in which the fielder has to run through the Coaches box and the base coach is attempting to move away from the play but still happens to get in the way of the fielder, is that considered as interference?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I'd like to add a question to this regarding ASA rules.... Hypothetically, if there was a soft pop-up foul ball hit in which the fielder has to run through the Coaches box and the base coach is attempting to move away from the play but still happens to get in the way of the fielder, is that considered as interference?

Assuming the fielder actually had a chance to catch it, yes. The benefit of the doubt goes to the fielder in this case.