ASA CoEd wth small ball and Big ball

Compas1

Star Player
Scenario... Playing ASA CoEd and we had our girl OF come up and play the turf/grass behind 2nd base but on the outfield. The ump stops play and says we can't have our girl rover like that. I politely said, "Blue, I hear what you're saying but that's not the right call."

Since CoEd is big ball and small ball there is no longer a 180' rover line and can play it fielders where ever we want in the out field.

I'm I right or wrong? Can someone shoot me a pic or link to the rule.

T.I.A.

AJ

beernbombs

Abby's dad
Could go either way. In men's ball, that's about where a MI would play. If she's playing that type of position, I would side with the umpire. Whether or not she's standing on the grass doesn't matter.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Was a guy up? Even with both balls we can't play the ladies in front of the line. Guys we can do kinda whatever.

Compas1

Star Player
ASA national rules did away with the CoEd line a long time ago. 180' line is now only a local or league rule.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Definition

Scenario... Playing ASA CoEd and we had our girl OF come up and play the turf/grass behind 2nd base but on the outfield. The ump stops play and says we can't have our girl rover like that. I politely said, "Blue, I hear what you're saying but that's not the right call."

Since CoEd is big ball and small ball there is no longer a 180' rover line and can play it fielders where ever we want in the out field.

T.I.A.

AJ

If you look in the ASA Rulebook under "Definitions" and look up "outfielder" you might find your answer. You must have 4 outfielders (2 make/2 female).

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

You're wrong.

You must have 2+2 in the infield, 2+2 in the outfield, and the pitcher and catcher must be of opposite genders.

If your outfielder is playing so close to second base that they appear to be defending the area around second, they are an infielder.

Move her back.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Under standard ASA rules there is no "180 foot line"- or 150 foot line, or 170 foot line, or any other dimensioned line that defines the infield and outfield.

"The grass" isn't a reliable line to define the beginning of the outfield. I've been on fields where the grass started five feet behind second base, and I've been on fields where the grass started thirty feet behind second base. Not all fields are constructed the same. Besides that, the actual rules make no mention of using "the grass" to define the outfield.

ASA defines the outfield as the area normally covered by outfielders- left, left center, right center, and right field. They define the infield as areas normally covered by infielders- first, second, and third base, plus the shortstop area.

It is solely up to the judgment of the umpire whether or not the players are positioned to satisfy those definitions.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Our girl was playing up 5' behind the cut off the grass.

I'm not weighing in on the rule, but I had to comment. Unless your fields are perfectly groomed, don't let your girls (or anyone, really) play that close to the dirt/grass transition.

Our local fields have a 6" lip where grass meets dirt, you either play in front of it or 15'+ behind it. Unless you don't like your teeth. ;)

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

T.I.A.

AJ

You are wrong, the umpire is correct. To the best of my knowledge, ASA has never had a "line" restricting outfielders, at least not since the mid-80's

While the outfielders are allowed to play at different levels, those positions must be discernable to the outfield as opposed to where an infielder would play.

You are lucky the umpire corrected the situation as if done so after the BR was retired or safe and all runners did not advance at least one base safely, the offense's manager would have the option of taking the result of the play, or the penalty which is the BR awarded 1B, all out negated and any runners advance one base, if forced.

redwing24

A New Year for the Mets!!
Happened last week, you either play on the diamond or behind the line. We were short girls so we had 3 infielders