College Umps

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
Watching the Women's World Series the umps are no where near the ESPN strike zone. Are all Fitch Pitch umps this bad. They are making a mokery of the strike zone.

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
I saw that too when I was watching the Michigan/OU game and the Michigan/FSU game. It seemed like they were doing a good job and then they'd call a strike on a pitch that looked way out of the zone. I know it's where the pitch crosses the plate and not where the catcher catches it, but I completely agree with you.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Well, the box is just a tool by ESPN. Major league baseball uses it and it's not always in agreement with them either.

I have noticed that the umps are at least consistent. That outside, belt-high pitch is always a strike and the outside pitch at the knees is a ball. Makes the strike zone fat in the middle and narrow at the top/bottom. As long as they call it consistently, it shouldn't be too much of a problem for the hitters.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
Well, the box is just a tool by ESPN. Major league baseball uses it and it's not always in agreement with them either.

I have noticed that the umps are at least consistent. That outside, belt-high pitch is always a strike and the outside pitch at the knees is a ball. Makes the strike zone fat in the middle and narrow at the top/bottom. As long as they call it consistently, it shouldn't be too much of a problem for the hitters.

He wasn't too consistent last night. One important part of the game on a 3-1 count he calls an outside pitch a strike on next pitch same level but just missing the strike zone he calls it a ball for a walk.
The ump in the first game of the Series was all over the place.

Major league umps are more consistent and most times are not that far off.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
If you notice, that K-zone never changes size or location regardless of the size of the batter. As eddie stated, it is a tool and it's accuracy has always been questionable especially in softball where there is more ball movement in a shorter distance. That is why you cannot compare it to what you see in baseball.

Also, no camera is going to give the viewer a viable view of the strike zone.