Combat Pro Event vs. Black Ops vs. Grit Ball Tower vs. Boombah Roller Superpack (or Beast)

milesej05

The Rookie
I know these have been beat like a dead horse, but wanted to get all of them included in the same thread. I currently have a Demarini IDP2 bag and love the bag. I put the shelf mod in it and it has performed flawlessly for the last 3 months. Recently I have been trying to close the top zipper portion and the teeth do not catch each other so there is still an opening. Then last Saturday the zipper completely came apart.

Currently looking for a new bag and like ALL of the bags in the title but each has issues that are steering me away from them. I would like the bag to stand on its own and be able to fit at LEAST 4 bats. Below is the Pros and Cons of each bag that I have found out over time whether first hand or on forums/reviews.

Combat:
PROS
Individual bat sleeves
Can buy for $100 New
Outside compartments are larger
Quieter wheels
Stands on its own

CONS
Have to make another shelf
Sags over time
Floating shoe bag
Cheaper material than Black Ops

Black Ops:
PROS
Individual bat sleeves
Stands on its own

CONS
Have to make another shelf
Sags over time
Price
Zippers break over time
Outside compartments are not very big
Floating shoe bag

Grit Ball Tower (I don't like the new BB2 design)
PROS
Ventilated
Cleat tray
Holds more than 4 bats
Shelves installed

CONS
Price
Not many review on the bag

Boombah Rolling Superpack
PROS
Price
High quality zippers
Large main compartment

CONS
Material rips over time
Unsure of how well it rolls
Bottom of bag may rip prematurely
Does not double as backpack

Boombah Superpack
PROS
Price
High quality zippers
Large main compartment

CONS
Bottom material rips over time
Shoulder straps rip over time
Material behind velcro attachment for bats rips

Boombah Beast
PROS
Price
High quality zippers
Price

CONS
Doesn't stand up on own
Bottom material rips over time (Assuming)
Have to lay bag on ground to put cleats away
Hanging hooks in bad spot
Bottom of bag wears out from rolling

SandyWH

#Delicious
Grit Ball Tower (I don't like the new BB2 design)
PROS
Ventilated
Cleat tray
Holds more than 4 bats
Shelves installed

CONS
Price
Not many review on the bag
I have had the BB1 for 2 years and just got the BB2 last week.

The differences between the two are:
The outter zipper pocket is gone (with towel ring and one pocket)
The cleat tray and ball net are gone and is now a seperate show compartment
The "one big flap" is now side zipped and cuts out the flap.

Bat storage, wheels, shelf system, are all still in place.

The biggest negative of the Grit bags is all the extra pockets that other bags have. But do you really miss them if you didn't really use them on the other bags?

sleepin4matty

Management Material
What's the price on the Grit ball tower that makes it a con compared to the $200 tag on the Black Ops/Spec Ops bag? I found my Grit Ball Tower for around $100 but that was several months ago

milesej05

The Rookie
What's the price on the Grit ball tower that makes it a con compared to the $200 tag on the Black Ops/Spec Ops bag? I found my Grit Ball Tower for around $100 but that was several months ago

Because I haven't found it for under $189. And there are no retailers near me that have them. Scheels only carrys lower end models of roller bags. The nicest bag they have is the IDP2. The other store in my area that sells the "Grit" brand is a Hockey and Lacrosse store and they do not carry them either.

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
Did you check out their hockey bags? The Ball Tower is just as well made. The problem, as you're finding, is availability in the States. Never on discount when they're so rare. Of all of those on your list I'd take the Grit. Actually I almost bought one of their wheeled hockey bags a few years ago. It held all of my pitching crap, a few gloves, and we got 10 bats into it. And it still had several shelves left.

The pricing on the BlackOps has always perplexed me. Actually no. Perceived value is a strangely successful sales method. The Grit is a better bag.

Have you tried the WD-40 and plier fixes on your current bag?

SandyWH

#Delicious
I literally just became a player rep for Grit today.

If you're looking for one of their new bags, hit me up.

Gonna try to get the SBF store to carry them.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
Because I haven't found it for under $189. And there are no retailers near me that have them. Scheels only carrys lower end models of roller bags. The nicest bag they have is the IDP2. The other store in my area that sells the "Grit" brand is a Hockey and Lacrosse store and they do not carry them either.
That sucks, I had mine shipped to me and I think it was $89 with free shipping

THESHOE

Starting Player
GRIT has been the only bag to last me 3 full seasons and counting. Including winter treks to indoor BP and Dome ball.

Can't say that for the Black Ops or the Miken I've owned.

My GF's Boombah pack strap failed. Just replaced with a GRIT batpack that looks so well made like my tower.

Honestly, my Tower shows plenty of life left but if they make a wider 6 bat version I am sold.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Nope 4 max, and a tight squeeze to have all 4 in if you load up the inside.

Four will go in side by side. Five can go if you stagger them a bit. Start cramming some in handle first and you can get 8-10 in there.

THESHOE

Starting Player
I've resorted to staggering before, but then I have handles sticking out. Not a big deal, I just lug my preferred 4 bats around.

Not a huge issue at all, considering how crappy previous bags were. Especially the Miken that ripped on Day 3 at the bottom corner as the material didn't even clear the wheels or ground on it and rubbed along the paths.

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
Can you elaborate on this "fix"??

Straighten any crooked teeth with pliers. Squeeze the slider with a pair of pliers. Linesmans' pliers are the best, but anything that will squish the entire slider works. Generally best to do this at the beginning of the zipper. As the slider gets older it breaks down. You're literally smashing it until it grabs the teeth again.

Then as you zip/unzip, give the zipper a little spritz of WD40 in front of the slider every inch or so. Some people say use lip balm because it's not toxic, but as long as you're using just a spritz of WD40 it's fine.

I've fixed about ten bags like this. The only ones that didn't work were a really cheap Franklin and a mid-level Easton. I couldn't get the teeth to come together on either.

There are a lot of vids on YouTube. A tailor will usually replace a zipper for about $10, too.

milesej05

The Rookie
Straighten any crooked teeth with pliers. Squeeze the slider with a pair of pliers. Linesmans' pliers are the best, but anything that will squish the entire slider works. Generally best to do this at the beginning of the zipper. As the slider gets older it breaks down. You're literally smashing it until it grabs the teeth again.

Then as you zip/unzip, give the zipper a little spritz of WD40 in front of the slider every inch or so. Some people say use lip balm because it's not toxic, but as long as you're using just a spritz of WD40 it's fine.

I've fixed about ten bags like this. The only ones that didn't work were a really cheap Franklin and a mid-level Easton. I couldn't get the teeth to come together on either.

There are a lot of vids on YouTube. A tailor will usually replace a zipper for about $10, too.

Awesome man, thanks!!

SandyWH

#Delicious
Nope 4 max, and a tight squeeze to have all 4 in if you load up the inside.

Still the best bag I've owned, but would be nice if it was a 6 bat.
This is my BB1 with 10 bats in it. It's snug, but I usually haul 7-8 everywhere.
BB1_zpsqcdprfsn.jpg

GNOLAUM

*insert dope custom title here
The new Grit looks unappealing to me. I love my BB1, I just wish it had the long pockets on both sides. I can even fir my shin guards in the bat area.

SammyJaxxx

Starting Player

milesej05

The Rookie
Tried everything to fix the zipper last night with no luck. The zippers on the IDP2 bag are crap quality compared to the Black Ops bag.

LoudMouf

Starting Player
I just went thru this exact dilemma and ended up order the Special Ops bag. I looked at all the bags and i actually felt that the best bags out were...

1.Black Ops/Special Ops
2. No Errors Dinger
3. Grit Ball Tower
4. Combat

MaverickAH

I've said this before but it bears saying again..........

I have the latest version of the No Errors Dinger & I'm extremely happy with it. The price/performance ratio can't be beat. I use it in combination with an og Anderson Batpack that I had stored away. (Sometimes when you're carpooling with teammates the NE just takes up too much trunk space.)

I will say that the Anderson is pretty bulletproof. I had another version that was closer to a Boombah & that thing started literally falling apart at the seams after less than 2 months of useSometimes I think that we are so into looking for the next great thing that we forget that the are some solid products around that have stood the test of time. The Anderson Batpack is one of those product IMHO. I took a strong look at the new GRIT BP01 Ball Pack but I just can't justify paying double the price of the Anderson.

MaverickAH

Here's something novel:
http://ultimatesportsbags.com/features/

It seems to be a 3-bag system designed to be connected together. I have no experience with this brand but it looks promising. The problem is you'd probably have to order it directly to examine one & the price ain't cheap!

If you want to go old school, here's another option:
http://performancesportsgear.net/Incrediblebag.html

I've owned the Verticle Inline Wheel Bag for a long, long time. I use it for storing my umpire gear & it is positively bulletproof! You can have it in any color you want as long as it's black! :) Like I said it's definitely old school.

At it's price ($69), it's definitely a solid candidate for experimentation with a shelving system. To be honest, I'd have a problem paying $150 - $200 for a bag & then have to modify it.