Any Common topics to be made into stickies

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I'd like to compile a number of frequently asked questions and topics and make them sticky topics here in the Ask the Umpire section. There are a number of topics that seem to appear every week, and rather than re-hash everything over and over again, these sticky threads may help to keep some of these topics down.

Some topics I have in mind include:

1 - Missed tag-ups: does the run count?
2 - When do the runners need to tag up on a caught fly ball?
3 - Infield fly rule
4 - Intentionally dropped ball rule
5 - Protesting: When, why and how?
6 - Runners hit by a batted ball - safe or out, dead ball or live?

Are there any other frequently discussed topics I might have missed here?

Sonic has agreed to let us write up a few topics and make them stickies at the top of the section.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
How about...

Fair and foul

Interference

Obstruction

Bases awarded on overthrow

I think definitions of many of these things would also be helpful.

We should put them all under one heading: F - requently; A - sked; R - ules. FAR.

pob14

Addicted to Softballfans
Live ball appeal as distinct from force out. (Tying in, perhaps, with "when does the run score" and "when do you tag up".)
For that matter, "appeal" as distinct from "protest" as distinct from "ask the ump to get help" (as distinct from "***** and moan" :)).

I think Joel was the one who posted the "40 Rules Myths" on the old eTeamz board; you might ask him if he still has it.

If you want any help writing some of this up, let me know.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Live ball appeal as distinct from force out. (Tying in, perhaps, with "when does the run score" and "when do you tag up".)
For that matter, "appeal" as distinct from "protest" as distinct from "ask the ump to get help" (as distinct from "***** and moan" :)).

I think Joel was the one who posted the "40 Rules Myths" on the old eTeamz board; you might ask him if he still has it.

If you want any help writing some of this up, let me know.

Careful... I'll probably take you up on it. ;)

I've got Joel's 40 myths already. Was going to use it during my rules clinic for our local association, but I ran out of time.

Duriisimo

Aguilucho
I'd like to compile a number of frequently asked questions and topics and make them sticky topics here in the Ask the Umpire section. There are a number of topics that seem to appear every week, and rather than re-hash everything over and over again, these sticky threads may help to keep some of these topics down.

Some topics I have in mind include:

1 - Missed tag-ups: does the run count?
2 - When do the runners need to tag up on a caught fly ball?
3 - Infield fly rule
4 - Intentionally dropped ball rule
5 - Protesting: When, why and how?
6 - Runners hit by a batted ball - safe or out, dead ball or live?

Are there any other frequently discussed topics I might have missed here?

Sonic has agreed to let us write up a few topics and make them stickies at the top of the section.

I requested this for the TAG-UP rule a few days ago! CLICK HERE

and got this...
One of the stupidest sticky request i have seen.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
All great suggestions, guys. Keep 'em coming!

Some of the smaller, easier ones I may just combine into one thread. Others may get their own thread.

I don't want the stickies section at the top of the page to get too big, or it'll take away from the forum too much.

And after all, this isn't my forum, it's Sonic's, and I'm just borrowing the space up top. :)

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
I think a separate definitions sticky would be helpful. Like said before, the difference between a foul ball and a foul tip. Obstruction and interference. Appeal and protest. Illegal and non-approved bats. Referring to baserunners (Closest to home is R1, then R2, etc., not how some have explained it as being the runner on 1B is R1). I think also for newbs it might be nice to have a definition of the text-type we use on here (LD-League Director, TD-Tournament Director, PU-Plate ump, etc.) That alone may help when we ask questions to use the correct terminology.

In your sticky, maybe include a hierarchy of how the rules apply. (ASA sanctioned event follows ASA rules unless there are specific tournament or local rules).

Love this sticky idea by the way!!!