Competive softball with pitching screen video??

davy

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm looking for a video or some input on using a pitching screen in competive softball tourneys. I've heard it's not bad using a screen for pitcher but I haven't seen in for myself yet. If somebody could help me out that would be great. Thanks.

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
Just because you can field the middle doesn't mean you will stop all the balls. Anyone who says they can is full of ****!

I haven't seen any videos, nor have I heard of tournies doing this. I have heard of a couple of leagues. I might be wrong, but I don't think you will get alot of interest in it. I guess it does beat the halo rule and the umpires opinion.

crdizzle6288

Addicted to Softballfans
if u need a screen you shouldnt be pitching. ive played in tourneys where its an automatic out of you hit the pitcher with anything up the middle. if the pitcher can field it cleanly or attempts to make a play after he is hit, the ball is still live. it cuts down on ppl shooting the middle. but thats a part of the game. hopefully nobody shoots the middle to injure the pitcher on purpose...

1st Baseman

Addicted to Softballfans
I still can't believe ppl think it's fine to go middle, that the pitcher has a glove and should use it, that nobody goes middle on purpose, etc. Seeing a working father/husband taken to the hospital w/ facial fractures may change the minds of some ppl...until then we'll have a lot of non-pitchers thinking that way (most pitchers will agree they need to protect themselves). Nobody makes real money in softball unless they have a bat named after them...and there aren't too many of those; softball costs money, it's not worth losing an eye, facial reconstruction, losing wages due to hospitalization, etc... I have a family, a well paying job, a house payment, cars...none of which I would risk over softball. The screen takes from the game, sure, so pitchers, protect yourselves, wear a mask, cup, mouthpiece, heartguard, knee/shinguards, your loved ones will thank you for it.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
We've had some tournies with a screen down here. There were quite a few two years ago actually. What I find funny is it's usually the hard ball outlaw tournies with unlimited homeruns. Didn't people used to just hit middle when the homeruns were gone? :rolleyes:

crdizzle6288

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree. Those tourneys were boring as ****. you knew ppl wouldnt go up the middle so it was easy to play the field cuz you knew where the balls were going. get a mask or protective gear or dont pitch...

crdizzle6288

Addicted to Softballfans
I still can't believe ppl think it's fine to go middle, that the pitcher has a glove and should use it, that nobody goes middle on purpose, etc. Seeing a working father/husband taken to the hospital w/ facial fractures may change the minds of some ppl...until then we'll have a lot of non-pitchers thinking that way (most pitchers will agree they need to protect themselves). Nobody makes real money in softball unless they have a bat named after them...and there aren't too many of those; softball costs money, it's not worth losing an eye, facial reconstruction, losing wages due to hospitalization, etc... I have a family, a well paying job, a house payment, cars...none of which I would risk over softball. The screen takes from the game, sure, so pitchers, protect yourselves, wear a mask, cup, mouthpiece, heartguard, knee/shinguards, your loved ones will thank you for it.

well said. ^ i agree its not worth it to get hit. i just think if you want to pitch, u know the risk. just get some protective gear to make it as safe as possible for you. i pitch and i wear a mask no questions asked.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
I still can't believe ppl think it's fine to go middle, that the pitcher has a glove and should use it, that nobody goes middle on purpose, etc. Seeing a working father/husband taken to the hospital w/ facial fractures may change the minds of some ppl...until then we'll have a lot of non-pitchers thinking that way (most pitchers will agree they need to protect themselves).

The protective gear is available - IF YOU WANT PROTECTION, WEAR IT!!

But it's unnecessary to mandate screens, halos, masks, etc. Such changes simply perpetuates the pandering to bad-pitchers who can't or won't do what is necessary for their own protection...

The new SOFT softballs and the inclusion of the option to pitch from upto 6' behind the pitching rubber (which I think ASA should expand to all levels) are both 'reasonable' changes that provide additional pitcher safety without altering the basics of the game...

I would bet if all the incidents of serious injuries to pitchers where investigated, that well over 80% are due to the pitcher not prepping for the ball being hit up the middle... The other 20% is simply the odds of being hurt in some fashion while playing any active sport with flying objects...

A halo doesn't prevent the pitcher from being hit, the screen doesn't prevent the pitcher from standing outside it --- the only true elimination of the danger of pitching is to REMOVE THE PITCHER COMPLETELY and use a pitching machine...

PITCHERS PREPARING THEMSELVES FOR THE HIT IS THE BEST SAFETY MEASURE... LET'S MANDATE THAT!!

%%%

Crusher09

2x Pinewood Derby Champ!
If you can't field the middle you shouldn't be pitching.

Anybody that says this is just and idiot. Of course the pitcher has a glove and should theoretically be able to field the middle. But take an honest look at the whole pitcher. In the last 20 years the pitchers position has not changed at all. Maybe they've moved the pitching rubber back a few feet, but the glove the pitcher uses really hasn’t changed. Yet if you look at the bat its completely changed. The bats 20 years ago made fielding the middle not a dangerous thing. Now we have bats that get hotter as they are used more, or bats that become ridiculous if they are altered. And everybody’s solution is to have the pitcher dress like a hockey goalie. Ridiculous again. All the people that say field the middle or don’t play are the first ones to cry like a little girl the minute the ball is within 10 feet of the middle.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
For the people saying the screen sucks because you can't hit the middle, I've seen the opposite. Everyone hits the middle since the pitcher can get behind the screen if he doesn't like it.

whogotz

dilligaf?
For the people saying the screen sucks because you can't hit the middle, I've seen the opposite. Everyone hits the middle since the pitcher can get behind the screen if he doesn't like it.

hasnt changed league ball for us at all. still PLENTY of other open spots on the field to try to hit the ball at.

pretty ridiculous if you are stuck on the idea that the middle is the most wide open spot on the field, what if theyre playing five man?

learn to friggin hit already!

dgambill85

Banned User
Anybody that says this is just and idiot. Of course the pitcher has a glove and should theoretically be able to field the middle. But take an honest look at the whole pitcher. In the last 20 years the pitchers position has not changed at all. Maybe they've moved the pitching rubber back a few feet, but the glove the pitcher uses really hasn’t changed. Yet if you look at the bat its completely changed. The bats 20 years ago made fielding the middle not a dangerous thing. Now we have bats that get hotter as they are used more, or bats that become ridiculous if they are altered. And everybody’s solution is to have the pitcher dress like a hockey goalie. Ridiculous again. All the people that say field the middle or don’t play are the first ones to cry like a little girl the minute the ball is within 10 feet of the middle.

I'm one of those that say this and I pitch. Although I will say a pitcher who doesn't wear a mask an shin guards is an idiot. $60 vs $2000 medical bills. Simple decision

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
One thing I will say is that the first time you come up with two strikes it will be annoying. Just keep it fair but don't hit the screen isn't hard, but it's not what you're used to. Just saying that it's annoying when you hit the lower right edge of the screen which wouldn't be anywhere near the pitcher, but you're out because you had two strikes already.

BTW, the screen is a strike in our leagues and tournies that use them, and if you hit it twice you're automatically out even if that isn't strike 3 where we start 0-0.

BTW, I pitch and don't like the screen, but it's not horrible in mixed leagues and tournies where the talent level is all over the place. It also allows me to feel somewhat comfortable drinking beers between games again. :D I don't want NITs adopting them but have no problems using them for charity tournies, etc.

franknwhit

Game on!
Have pitch for over 30 years and have seen many changes. The rock hard Blue Dot balls and single wall bat still had balls come off the bat pretty fast. Over the past few years I’ve seen the changes in balls coming off the bats (legal and illegal bats). I started moving back after releasing the ball more than ever. Recently I cover up the pitching rubber with dirt and start back up to 5' and get away with it as long as I can. U-Trip has all changed the rule (able to release the ball behind the rubber). I will use any thing as a pitcher for my safety and advantage I can get as a pitcher. If you call me a cheater for doing this then fine, but no one tells me when they come up to hit with a altered bat. 2 leagues in my area are going to all wood bats next year. Have played in a league with wood bats and it’s a good game. As of now I know of a few people that are organizing a Wood Bat Softball Association in my state. They all ready have 5 leagues interested in joining. With all of this rules need to change as the game changes for the safety of everyone that plays. 90% of us that play work, accidents are going to happen in any sport, but let’s progress with changes when needed so we can keep enjoying.

devo12

Addicted to Softballfans
I play in a league that uses a screen, and its not all that bad, if you hit it once its a dead ball and if you hit twice your out.. Not really a bad thing but it does help that we play 1-1 with a good foul

ruffneck10

TEXAS MADE
I hate that everyone starts cry and saying pitchers have a glove ...more then half dnt pitch ...if they r the great hitters they say they r...why would a screen hurt the game .. some of u all stars try pitching to guys that can hit or stand out there when it gets a bit rowdy and they start talking about hitting middle ...

Lord7

Banned User
This is about as competitive as softball can get:

Last edited by a moderator:

ogilvie

"OG"
The bats 20 years ago made fielding the middle not a dangerous thing.

Not quite. Similar to what franknwhit touched upon. Back when, I could go middle with a og '97 demarini dw and super blue's or a red dot just as hard as I can now with any of the top composites!

Lord7

Banned User
Not quite. Similar to what franknwhit touched upon. Back when, I could go middle with a og '97 demarini dw and super blue's or a red dot just as hard as I can now with any of the top composites!

Your story is 15 years ago. He said 20 years ago.

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
I hate that everyone starts cry and saying pitchers have a glove ...more then half dnt pitch ...if they r the great hitters they say they r...why would a screen hurt the game .. some of u all stars try pitching to guys that can hit or stand out there when it gets a bit rowdy and they start talking about hitting middle ...

Because it's ridiculous, like your grammar. I'm not scared, I have a glove. No one is making you pitch. Chuck and duck or GTFO. If people were that good at hitting, there wouldn't be so many teams in E/D.

Crusher09

2x Pinewood Derby Champ!

Well ya, you say you were using a Demarini DW, which with those hard balls was a pretty great stick. I was talking about the true single wall bats. Plus if you remember right the sweet spot on a metal bat was small compared to todays composite bats. You had to actually have some skill to square up a ball. The composite bats allow most anybody to go up and swing out of their shoes and hit a ball hard, metal bats were not as forgiving. Were middle shots part of the game years ago? yes, but they were usually unintentional and you didnt have some ass clown that plays outfield start yelling "middles open".

ruffneck10

TEXAS MADE
Because it's ridiculous, like your grammar. I'm not scared, I have a glove. No one is making you pitch. Chuck and duck or GTFO. If people were that good at hitting, there wouldn't be so many teams in E/D.

See super stars like I said ..I'm not saying some balls r going up the middle I'm just saying when all star players try to hit middle cuz someone said something to make u cry and now u want to hurt a pitcher ..I pitch and I glove it or get out the way ..