Compression tester

swampdonkey1

Star Player
Does anyone have a compression tester that can answer some questions for me?

If you have one, what do you use it for? Do you run leagues/tourneys that require bats pass compression? Do you travel if a sanction tourney needs someone to test bats? Have you found ways to make money with the tester? If you travel to test for a sanctioned tourney, do you get paid for setting up and testing by the director?

Does anyone play in a league that uses a compression tester for league? How often do they test the bats? What happens when someone buys a new bat and expects to use it that night, is the tester available every night/week to test new bats?

ogWarlock78

Addicted to Softballfans
Does anyone play in a league that uses a compression tester for league?
all parks in my county do compression testing per ASA specs
How often do they test the bats?
every bat has to be tested before being used in a particular season - spring, summer fall. So, my bats get tested 3 times a year. I have one bat with so many stickers on it, I bet it's added an ounce of counterbalance to the bat!
What happens when someone buys a new bat and expects to use it that night, is the tester available every night/week to test new bats?
Yes, the compression tester is locked up in the park office. The person who unlocks and locks the gates and turns on and off the lights does the testing. Any bat used in league play MUST have a sticker showing it was tested for that particular season. the stickers change color from one season to the next - spring, summer and fall.

cmo27

Local Celebrity
I am the Operations manager for our league which is the largest in Pittsburgh/South Western PA. I facilitate all bat testing and approved equipment for the league. We have several testing sessions prior to the season start, then perform random testing throughout the season. We don't have a set complex, we have 11 fields throughout the region. If a player gets a new bat mid-season, they are required to get it tested and stickered prior to game use. Occasionally I will go to the field and test before their game if I'm available, but usually I have them come to my house or the field I'm playing at. The first year we tested I traveled all over creation constantly to help ease the league into the new procedure. Now that it's been in place a while, the teams know the new protocol.

We've considered farming out the tester for other leagues and/or tournaments, but haven't received much interest. I don't believe there is an outside need for it in our area.