Any concussion training for umpires

pineapple

should this be done by umpires?
if so does this give the umpire any means to remove a player that
has taken a pos head injury from the game?
adults and kids as players.

Taprootgft

Addicted to Softballfans
As you're in Ohio, I know OHSAA has mandatory training for coaches, at least they did when I was coaching, which was for injuries in general, but about 70-80% of the class was focused on head injuries. While I can't speak with where they stand on officials, I know they require it from their coaches.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
In Ohio concussion training is mandatory for high school umpires. It's an online course and you have to get recertified every three years. This is a state law that applies to all youth sports officials.

Our local ASA umpire association also requires this (central Ohio/Columbus area). I believe that this is state-wide. I can't speak to how other organizations are handling this (NSA, USSSA, etc.) but am sure they've addressed it since it is a state law.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
This is ridiculous

In Ohio concussion training is mandatory for high school umpires. It's an online course and you have to get recertified every three years. This is a state law that applies to all youth sports officials.

Our local ASA umpire association also requires this (central Ohio/Columbus area). I believe that this is state-wide. I can't speak to how other organizations are handling this (NSA, USSSA, etc.) but am sure they've addressed it since it is a state law.

Unless an umpire is a first responder, nurse, or doctor they have no business in dealing with concussions.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Unless an umpire is a first responder, nurse, or doctor they have no business in dealing with concussions.

We aren't required to deal with them medically or offer any sort of treatment. The training is pretty basic. It tells you what concussion is, how they happen, the effects they can have on a person, and what the symptoms can be.

Our obligation during a game is that if any player exhibits any of the possible symptoms, we can have them removed from the game. You would hope that the player's coach, trainer, or parents would do that before the umpire has to step in. But we are kind of the neutral "last line of defense", the only ones with no stake in keeping an injured player in the game.

pineapple

We aren't required to deal with them medically or offer any sort of treatment. The training is pretty basic. It tells you what concussion is, how they happen, the effects they can have on a person, and what the symptoms can be.

Our obligation during a game is that if any player exhibits any of the possible symptoms, we can have them removed from the game. You would hope that the player's coach, trainer, or parents would do that before the umpire has to step in. But we are kind of the neutral "last line of defense", the only ones with no stake in keeping an injured player in the game.

that is good to know in ohio if you have the training you then can enforce
someone to exit the field...

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
MN has the same law, the CDC Heads Up training is required once every three years for anyone who officiates or coaches any sporting event where a participant may be younger than 18. This has caused a couple problems in that some adult slow pitch leagues were 16+.

USSSA gives umpires the ability to remove a player from the game and from all competition for the day unless they participant is seen and signed off on by a medical professional. I removed two players from the game last year and both ended up going to the hospital with concussions.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
NFHS requires high school officials to take concussion training and has protocols for officials to remove a player from a game and for re-entry. That's for all sports.

Oregon ASA made us take the same training. Got to take the course twice in five months, big fun. Because is wasn't in the same calendar year ASA didn't allow it to carry over although NFHS did allow it to carry over from basketball season to softball because it was same school year. However, I'll have to take it again in the fall. SMDH

Iballsohard

Here for the pitches
You are laughable

Is that really your stance on this? As deputy UIC, I think you would be more worried about this. I think that it is a good thing that umps have some kind of training in this matter. As a teammate I have told many people to sit out till they can get checked out. Do you really think its safe to have people with head trauma still running around the field? No one is out there to watch other people get hurt over a game.

usafshelland

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm a LL umpire, but I really wish that they WOULD offer concussion training to us here in New Mexico. While not a medical expert by any means, I'd rather be able to see some of the symptoms. I know to look for the dilated pupils, but what else? And it's not about having that upper hand control, but rather a safety measure for the kids. Personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry. So far this year in 4 games called, I've seen 3 kids get plunked in the head (13-15 year olds). Worst one seen yet is a kid taking a bad hop and hitting him in the jugular. He immediately felt light headed and eventually passed out. Scariest **** ever. So that's why I think all umpires at any level should receive a minimum medical training.

Crabby Bob

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm a LL umpire, but I really wish that they WOULD offer concussion training to us here in New Mexico. While not a medical expert by any means, I'd rather be able to see some of the symptoms. I know to look for the dilated pupils, but what else? And it's not about having that upper hand control, but rather a safety measure for the kids. Personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry. So far this year in 4 games called, I've seen 3 kids get plunked in the head (13-15 year olds). Worst one seen yet is a kid taking a bad hop and hitting him in the jugular. He immediately felt light headed and eventually passed out. Scariest **** ever. So that's why I think all umpires at any level should receive a minimum medical training.

Try the following. http://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource...elines-for-management-of-concussion-in-sports

MaverickAH

Here's the problem........

By doing anything more than removing a player from the game, you are putting yourself in a position of personal liability if something should go wrong. You're much better off leaving the addressing of injuries to coaches & parents. Unless you want to pay a huge insurance premium to protect yourself (just like trained doctors do) you're much better off staying out of injury situations. Other than calling immediate time out so that the injured can be attended to a quickly as possible, stay out of it. In the case of head injuries, "When in doubt, hold them out!" That's how we've been instructed.

Amen!

usafshelland

Addicted to Softballfans
Here's the problem........

By doing anything more than removing a player from the game, you are putting yourself in a position of personal liability if something should go wrong. You're much better off leaving the addressing of injuries to coaches & parents. Unless you want to pay a huge insurance premium to protect yourself (just like trained doctors do) you're much better off staying out of injury situations. Other than calling immediate time out so that the injured can be attended to a quickly as possible, stay out of it. In the case of head injuries, "When in doubt, hold them out!" That's how we've been instructed.

Amen!

OH trust me, I'm not asking for instruction on what to do medically. I just want to know whether to allow the player to continue or force the issue and make the coach sub the player out.

MaverickAH

OH trust me, I'm not asking for instruction on what to do medically. I just want to know whether to allow the player to continue or force the issue and make the coach sub the player out.

What you do is observe & always err on the side of caution. The one thing that you have complete authority over is the safety of the game. This includes the field of play, the equipment & the participants. If you observe a player exhibiting any unsteadiness or alertness issues after experiencing a head trauma, hold them out. Don't let any coach or parent dissuade you from your decision. Most coaches know better than to play around with their kid's health these days anyway but there's always one.........

matt6195

Manager
should this be done by umpires?
if so does this give the umpire any means to remove a player that
has taken a pos head injury from the game?
adults and kids as players.

Our local Hospital held a training on concussions for coaches and umpires. It was free.

As far as I know I have every right as an umpire to remove a player from the game, who is unfit to play. I haven't had a head injury but I have had to remove a few guys who have had too much to drink.