Concussions

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Speaking specifically of the situation with the Eagles right now. Both Kevin Kolb and Stewart Bradley suffered concussions yesterday and then returned to the game. I'm listening to Andy Reid's press conference right now and he keeps saying, "they passed the protocol tests before reentry, blah blah blah".

I'm thinking that if those guys both passed the tests then the tests need to be reevaluated. Stewart Bradley got his bell rung so hard that he couldn't get to his feet following the play. He got up with a lot of effort and then stumbled down like a drunk and they had to help him off the field. He was back on the field not too long after that. Kevin got up and you could see on TV that his eyes were glassy as he picked out the turf from his helmet. Both of those guys should have been in street clothes by half time.

Concussions are nothing to trifle with. I've suffered several in my adult life and I know it gets easier to get them after you've had one or more. Considering what they went through with Brian Westbrook last year, you'd think the Eagles would be more sensitive to these things.

If nothing else, this is going to give the players union more ammo in the "we need to make sure we take care of our players" salvo in their negotiations.

What do you guys think? Am I talking out of my ass here?

3XC

Big Truss
Kolb got blasted, and looked like he was stoned out of his mind. Dangerous.

***ulative effects over a lifetime can turn a lion into a doddering, helpless person. Look at the great Muhammad Ali. He had an iron jaw, but his brain was just as fragile as anyone elses.

Kolb should not have come back.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
I was shocked Bradley went back in..:eek:

No kidding. Especially as quickly as he went back in. It was like 2 plays or something. That dude should have been told, "Go to the locker room, put on your street clothes and relax. You're done."

daddypoe

Baller on a Budget
Kolb getting a concussion is the best thing to happen to the Eagles. He is not a good QB and although Vick isn't a savior, he is a hell of a lot better than Kolb and at least gives them a chance.

With that being said, I agree that once a guy is knocked out or takes an hard hit to the head he should be out of the game.

wcoastsoftball

I agree with you, but at the same time, it depends on what the tests were. Generally most NFL teams use the computer program iMpact. Pretty tough neuro testing and provides a good baseline for return to play. I highly doubt they used that immediately after the event though as it is time consuming.
If they passed general neuro testing, such as balance, cranial nerve, etc, I don't know what to say then. Usually at least in my position it used to be a collective decision between athlete, athletic trainer, coach and parents (I work with high school kids). Nowadays, much scrutiny being placed on head injury so we hold them out regardless.

scobes7

I have Lack of Jack power
Bradley was out...then back in 2 plays later and in on the next tackle...poor bastard could not get up...did you see him stagger and then go back down..looked like a deer that had been shot but still tried to get away..

UHCoog1

Addicted to Softballfans
Kolb getting a concussion is the best thing to happen to the Eagles. He is not a good QB and although Vick isn't a savior, he is a hell of a lot better than Kolb and at least gives them a chance.

This is why you aren't an NFL head coach. Obviously Andy Reid and company believe Kolb is a good QB and feel he will be succesful.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
I agree with you, but at the same time, it depends on what the tests were. Generally most NFL teams use the computer program iMpact. Pretty tough neuro testing and provides a good baseline for return to play. I highly doubt they used that immediately after the event though as it is time consuming.
If they passed general neuro testing, such as balance, cranial nerve, etc, I don't know what to say then. Usually at least in my position it used to be a collective decision between athlete, athletic trainer, coach and parents (I work with high school kids). Nowadays, much scrutiny being placed on head injury so we hold them out regardless.

That's very true. I'm neither a medical professional nor an NFL coach/trainer and I wasn't there. Watching Bradley after he went down, though, any boxing referee would have waved off the fight as a TKO at that point.

Granted, I'm sensitive to stuff like this because I've had so many concussions myself, but any reasonable person could see that he should have been done, IMO.

daddypoe

Baller on a Budget
This is why you aren't an NFL head coach. Obviously Andy Reid and company believe Kolb is a good QB and feel he will be succesful.

And this is also why the Eagles are 0-1 instead of 1-0.

Brad Childress feels that Tavaris Jackson will be successful...how is that working out?

Kolb is a big work in progress at best, did you not see the game?

3XC

Big Truss
And this is also why the Eagles are 0-1 instead of 1-0.

Brad Childress feels that Tavaris Jackson will be successful...how is that working out?

Kolb is a big work in progress at best, did you not see the game?

He was concussed almost immediately, against a very, very good defense. If his linemen and TEs blocked he wouldn't have gotten his helmet driven into the turf with force.

Typical Eagles fan. You probably booed McNabb when he was drafted. You probably boo at the end of the half when a guy is 16-20 for 190 yards and 3 TDs and takes a knee on his own 11 with 3 seconds left. Boo him off the field, the bum. How dare he not scramble for 89 yards?

Kolb has 4 career starts and was knocked out of one. Start Vick for 15 weeks and revel in your 7-9 record. Your franchise will not be any better at the start of 2011.

doG

dabz
I think you're right on the money. I saw a documentary on HBO about concussions. Some of these football players end up with dimentia in their early 50's!!

J187

Welcome to Good Burger
Dustin Keller suffered a concussion yesterday at the hands of a wicked RL hit. He decided to leave the game a little early to be safe.

daddypoe

Baller on a Budget
He was concussed almost immediately, against a very, very good defense. If his linemen and TEs blocked he wouldn't have gotten his helmet driven into the turf with force.

Typical Eagles fan. You probably booed McNabb when he was drafted. You probably boo at the end of the half when a guy is 16-20 for 190 yards and 3 TDs and takes a knee on his own 11 with 3 seconds left. Boo him off the field, the bum. How dare he not scramble for 89 yards?

Kolb has 4 career starts and was knocked out of one. Start Vick for 15 weeks and revel in your 7-9 record. Your franchise will not be any better at the start of 2011.

GBs defense is banged up so their best guys weren't out there. So no, on Sunday they were not a very, very good defense. Look how easily Vick shredded them on the ground for over 100 yards. I'm not a "typical Eagle's fan"...I was a fan of them when they had McNabb and Westy. Now I rather cheer on the Skins this year and have McNabb come here next year (I'm from MN). I've always been a fan of McNabb.

I have no problem with people being taken out for concussions, I would much rather be safe in that aspect. All I'm saying, is that Vick is not a savior by any means but I have a lot more faith in him than Kolb. I'm not a fan of him.