Considering a new custom glove, but having trouble understanding options

tbarb

I have started playing senior softball a few years ago and have had trouble finding a glove I like. Mostly they all get too soft and the fingers bend back too easily. So I have discovered I prefer a stiffer glove - maybe I over condition, but don't think so. They work great after break in for a while then get to floppy. Another thing is I don't see good leather softball gloves and have had to pick baseball gloves that look like they have larger pockets to get a firm glove. ( All cheaper A800, Worth toxic and that level glove were too soft from the get go. The thumb and pinkly as well as fingers just bent back and forth too easily for my liking. The gloves I've liked the best were A2000's and a Vinci Pro (Rawlings gloves seem to have smaller pockets so I never tried a Heart of the Hide, but one Pro Preferred I used stood up the longest.

So after that background, I'm thinking about trying a Rawlings Pro Preferred softball pattern. I'm an average middle third level fielder in our city and travel leagues with obvious improvement ahead of me. I spent many hours trying to find a firmer better leather softball glove and did not find that Rawlings even made softball gloves. Going through the options of the Pro Preferred custom glove I need some information on some of them and would appreciate someone's knowledgeable explanation.

1. The fit choice is "standard" or "narrow". I have a smaller hand with slightly longer fingers. My whole physic is tall and slender and my hands follow that. So I'm thinking this "narrow" fit idea might help as I like the glove pretty tight. So is this like a Pedroia size thing?

2. The patterns were listed as PROS 566 and PROS316SB in 12"; and PROS568 in 12.5". Here is where this gets critical fast. I would love a 12.5" glove since having to get 12" gloves in the past was the only way I could get a firmer feeling glove where the fingers would not bend back so easily. But I have no knowledge of patterns and the photo I'm looking at as I change the patterns back and forth on the website leaves a lot to misunderstanding what the differences actually are.

From my one experience with a Pro Preferred 12 3/4" baseball glove the pinky and thumb have stayed firm and I am still using it. That may have been helped by not conditioning the thumb and pinky areas. But I don't like the pocket and all I found were 6 finger styles in that size, and I am a second baseman infielder and prefer an "H" or closed web; which the pre preferred custom options included. If the fingers do as well as my experience with the thumb and pinky of the pro preferred glove, and I had a softball size pocket I think I could be happy. I think just only conditioning the pocket and web area may have helped the thumb and pinky fingers remain firmer. The slightly heavier weight seemed fine as well and may have taken some sting of some hard catches.

3. They have an option for a sweat band which seemed like a nice touch but I was left wondering if it can come off and put back on, or if its permanently fixed to the glove?

But the main thing I cannot choose is the pattern, how they are different; and if I should choose a "narrow" fit. Any information is appreciated from gloves to matching my ability as described!

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited:

Dugout5

Starting Player
A lot of guys here have way more knowledge than I do and will help you with your questions. I am a huge Rawlings fan...that being said I recommend you look into Vinci. My current gamer is a custom Vinci OMB-OB 13". Mine is the limited Kip leather with mesh back. Its is light weight, stiff and does not get floppy. Many different options for webs, laces, colors etc...

They tend to run cheaper than Rawlings and have sales quite often too.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
With smaller hands, you are facing the classic problem. To make a glove with a larger "softball" pocket requires a larger hand stall... which you don't necessarily want.

A few comments:

The narrower fit is simply them lacing the button lap (wrist strap) to a tighter setting of the already existing holes. There is NO modification to the pattern.

The "FS" in the glove model indicates that it has been "designed" for a finger shift to TIP (pinkie and ring finger in the pinkie stall. I am not sure how much they redesign the linings).

The patterns with the "twin strap" back closure are Worth patterns. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't know them as well. They are more softball focused, but the bigger the pocket, the bigger the hand stall, etc.

What Pro Preferred 12.75" are you using (302 or 303?)? And why don't you like it?

... I am thinking a 12.5" Pro208 or Pro125SB might work. The 568 was designed as a fastpitch glove with a smaller hand stall, but one that makes TIP tougher. If you don't use TIP, then it is an option too.

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
I just skimmed through, but curious why you are favoring pro preferred over hoh?
Also the sweat bands just velcro on. The narrow fit just means it's on the tightest set of holes. Same thing with pedroia fit I believe. It's really easy to switch if you have a lacing needle.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
PP has the real shearling on the back of the button lap, which is the only advantage IMO. Not sure it it worth the $100 extra.

Whichever way you go, make sure you hit up Milocomen for the order!!!

MaverickAH

Okay, the 1st thing I would tell you is that if you're going with a Rawlings custom, don't limit yourself to the "Softball" options. You'd be much better off selecting "Baseball" w the "Outfield" position option. It'll give you a lot more patterns & sizes to select from. Based on your description of yourself, I'd say that a PRO30xx (last two digits determine size) pattern might suit you. It has the slightly narrower profile you're looking for.

There are other options for a high-end softball glove. Glovesmith, Nokona, Vinci & Wilson would be on my short list.

Honestly, I would go with a Glovesmith Custom Made in USA before I went with a Rawlings:
  1. They're cheaper (& better, IMHO).
  2. They're made here.
  3. You can actually talk to the people making your glove.
  4. When you talk to them, you can expand your options beyond what's on an order sheet.
Vinci also does a very nice custom glove & it's what I personally use.

Now if you want to save yourself a few $$$, going with a stock glove is the way to go. Again, my recommendations are a very short list:
  • Glovesmith American Elite Series 1250 AE1
  • Vinci Limited Series BMB (several variations.......)

That's it........

tbarb

Thanks for all your posts. Some replies:

Yes, I had the TJ1952 in Kip leather (they were 6oz then) and as I mentioned it stood above most but still got floppy. I talked with a couple of their guys and Vinci too and he mentioned the OMB but it looks lust like the TJ1952 I had.

On the narrow I am disappointed if tightening over the wrist is all it is. I have done that with every glove I have had. It's better and I've even used a women's' 12" (the Cat Osterander model) fast pitch glove but it was a bit too tight.

FS was not listed as an option or pattern, but I do place both smaller fingers into the pinky stall. Now ya got me wondering what they do with this.

You mention a 12.5" Pro208 or Pro125SB might work, but they were not listed patterns on the Rawlings site - they only listed a PROS566 and PROS316SB in 12"; and PROS568 in 12.5". If the SB in PRO125SB you mention stands for "soft ball" then there are more patterns they make than what is listed on their site.

What is at is TIP? You mentioned a "568 was designed as a fastpitch glove with a smaller hand stall, but one that makes TIP tougher". 568SB was one of the patterns listed.

I don't know if the Pro Preferred pattern I am using is a 302 or 303 as you ask. It is not in the model number (it is in the model number of some HOH gloves). But again it is a baseball pocket, a 6 finger style web. But I did like the heavier leather and it seemed to stand up to the ball more and hold shape better. That is very much part of what I want. So my thinking was to get the leather I liked the most and unfortunately have to pay up the custom price to get the web and softball pocket I need. The other options of color, name on the glove, and such are less needed.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Are you looking at the Rawlings custom glove builder? All these patterns I mentioned are on it.

TIP is "two in pinkie" which it seems is what you do. The 568 narrows the hand opening by narrowing it on the pinkie side, forcing your hand closer to the thumb... not what you want for TIP.

If your current glove is a six finger trap, then it is a 601 pattern. Tell us the full model number and we might be able to figure out the leather. That pattern fits a softball pretty well IMO, so I think you are going to be disappointed looking for a glove that has a bigger palm/pocket but a smaller hand stall. The 303 has a similar pocket to the 601, but the back can be tightened up (the narrow option). The 302 is even more snug, but the pocket is not as large. Maybe you can get a 302 and then swap a wider web onto it (that is what I did).

Glovesmith does make awesome glove, it is what I am using right now. The 12.5" and 13" open back gloves are great patterns and you can get a wide web on either (USA Customs allow you to choose the web size).

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
OP, if you wanted a stiff 12.5 softball glove with a handstall that accomodated medium hands, you just missed out on the SP125.

For those looking for a custom glove but have fingerstall/handstall problems, there is always the $500 experiment: Carpenter. I say "experiment" because it's basically guaranteed to fit your hand like no other glove but you may not like the way it looks (or lack of custom options). They are all made of synthetic material (which isn't everyone's cup of tea) but at least doesn't look as bad as the Nike Vapor 360.

Jchap

OP, if you wanted a stiff 12.5 softball glove with a handstall that accomodated medium hands, you just missed out on the SP125.

For those looking for a custom glove but have fingerstall/handstall problems, there is always the $500 experiment: Carpenter. I say "experiment" because it's basically guaranteed to fit your hand like no other glove but you may not like the way it looks (or lack of custom options). They are all made of synthetic material (which isn't everyone's cup of tea) but at least doesn't look as bad as the Nike Vapor 360.
Or you can wait until the Carpenter Modification option becomes available beyond invitation, later this year.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Or you can wait until the Carpenter Modification option becomes available beyond invitation, later this year.
That's a $300 modification there. Plus Scott said the models that he would consider are real limited (and only IF gloves). He did say he would do any 200 size but I'm not sure if he's aware that a 208 is available.

jethrodub

Coach
I think you should look at getting the 302 pattern in a 12.5". It does fit snug, and can form an awesome pocket for SB infield. I just got a custom about two months ago and I am loving it. If you do lace it on the tighest setting and add a sweatband on the wrist it would be super snug.

tbarb

Placing this info here that I received from Rawlings this morning on patterns in the event others have the same questions as me. I have to digest all this info and call them when I order as I don't want a $500 experiment since I could not find all of these. Perhaps there are different versions of the custom glove builder depending on where you look.
---------------------------------------------------
From Rawlings...
3. If you choose Softball in question 1, the patterns available at 12.5” are the PROS568, PROS125KR, PROS125SB and PROS125FS. You can choose your pattern in the Pattern section (question #7).

5. The PROS31 (PROS316SB) pattern is built like the Pedroia fit you brought up previously. The pattern PRO31 patterns have precurved fingers and is the 2nd most shallow pocket design we offer. The PROS568 pattern has straight fingers but has a deeper and wider pocket design.

Rous: it seems you are correct in your deduction that finding a smaller finger stall and large pocket is a tough order.... The 303 I looked at on some retail sites did resemble the 601 pocket. The 302 looked too shallow from what I could tell, but I kinds liked the curved fingers that they may stand up more than the straight ones.
Everyone: Checking out everyone's suggestions. Thanks. I wish a master chart was available to study all patterns in all sizes with "good" pictures. It's not like trying them on, but what we have in this internet age. Now chasing around retailers sites looking for these above patterns to see what they look like.

Oh - the Pro Preferred I have is a 601 - and full model is PROS601-KBPRO to my recollection (it's in a locker away from my location as I write). You are right the pocket is close, but would still would like it a bit bigger. (It gets smaller as you move over the finger area). I like the leather - hate the web and closed back, though the pocket is more important. I was just thinking as I typed that with what I am learning - if the pocket was wider and the web was an "H" or closed basket type I would probably shut up and just play.;-)
Thanks again,

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
IMO, if you generally like the size of the 601, the best options you have:
If you think the hand stall is just too big, get an open back Pro3029 with a basket web (widest they have for the 302) or swap on a wider aftermarket web. This one would have the snuggest fit.
If you think the hand stall is fine, but it is just too lose on your wrist, then get either a Pro3039 or Pro3030 with a basket web (I think the 568 might be a 303 with the hand opening laced to be smaller) or a 12.5" Glovesmith. A USA made Glovesmith would allow you to choose a wider web (like a 5" wide H web).

None of these have huge hand stalls and all of these have open backs which would allow you to tighten the button lap. That makes a big difference.

sleepin4matty

Management Material

I got a Carpenter a few years back and it's truly an amazing marvelous glove. If you can spend the $$$$ and wait for him to make it then it is definitely the way to go. He offers a lifetime warranty and will fix/repair/relace for the cost of shipping. Think about it this way $500, you never buy another glove again.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
I got a Carpenter a few years back and it's truly an amazing marvelous glove. If you can spend the $$$$ and wait for him to make it then it is definitely the way to go. He offers a lifetime warranty and will fix/repair/relace for the cost of shipping. Think about it this way $500, you never buy another glove again.

nightmare fuel