ASA Courtesy Runner Situation

aburhart

Just call me B
This happened last night and I think it kinda sucked...

One of my players hurt his hamstring running from second to third. He could hardly walk. We put a courtesy runner in for him. We batted around in the inning and he had to hit again. He had no intentions of swinging and got walked. The umpire would not let us use a courtesy runner for him again. He said 1 an inning. My thought is that it has the same player we were running for and could have used the same runner since no other outs had occured. What is the rule on this.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Seniors? If so, that's correct. A player may be a courtesy runner only once an inning. 8.9.C.3.

If you're not playing masters/seniors, check with your local league on the courtesy runner rules as seniors/masters is the only place ASA uses courtesy runners in the slow pitch game.

The courtesy runner rule is a senior level rule that's been adopted by many leagues. If they are following the senior rule, this is the correct ruling (as eddieq stated).

ureout

The Veteran
no it's not correct....if you adapted the senior rules....they allow any player on the roster to run once per inning..... 8.5(1) • USING COURTESY RUNNERS
Any player on the roster and present may be a courtesy runner if listed on the
official lineup. A courtesy runner may be used for a base runner at any time, but
the same courtesy runner may not be used more than once per inning. Any
courtesy runner found running more than once per inning will be called out. Any
player on the team roster may be a courtesy runner; he does not have to be
playing defense or in the batting order.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
ureout is correct (sorry for the confusion), unlimited courtesy runners may be used, but it can't be the same runner more than once an inning (Rule supplement 12).

The OP, however, indicated "no other outs occurred" which tells me that they are using the "last batted out" modification that many leagues use. He should ask his league how they want to handle that.

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
I don't know if it's a consideration here, but rules for courtesy runners up here state the person being run for has to be declared prior to the game, and only the declared players gets a courtesy runner. If a dude gets hurt during the game, that doesn't entitle him to a courtesy runner--you're likely looking at a substitution there.