Cracked Handle...

rnvanquish

I recently purchased a DeMarini OG Raw Steel and while I was in the process of regripping it I noticed a small, hairline crack about an inch or so long extending up the bat from the bottom of the handle near the knob.

I'm just curious if this is anything I should be worried about? The crack is quite small and it's on the handle rather than the barrel but still, a crack is never a good thing. Additionally, I'm assuming the crack will continue to expand as the bat is used. Should I just keep using the bat and keep an eye on the crack over time?

Any help is much appreciated!

DeMarini Steel Bat Crack - Imgur.jpg

Dan411

Star Player
Before I saw the picture, I was thinking it might be close to the "pin" that secures the knob. I have seen that before. The handle on that bat is steel too right? I am asking because some early steels had composite handles. If it's steel, you might want to tape around the knob into the handle. If that crack gets bigger or flexes, you may get a loose pin, and eventually have the knob come off.

rnvanquish

Thanks for the reply! It's an OG Raw, if that helps. I was under the impression that it had a composite handle but I could be mistaken. Either way, I put a thin layer of epoxy on it, let it dry and set, wrapped a layer or two of tape around it, and then regripped the handle with a new lizard skin. The crack is very small, the picture makes it looks worse/bigger than it really is, so I'm hoping the epoxy and tape will help keep it from expanding too much or too quick. I realize that using the bat is going to cause the crack to expand eventually but hopefully it'll hold up for a while longer.

jkwoody22

League ball huer
It looks like someone smacked the knob side on the ground in frustration and it cracked, hopefully the expoxy works it shouldn't flex or wiggle too much maybe a weld lol