Crouching behind the plate

blackbeasst

Addicted to Softballfans
Cause softball is serious business. Can't you tell that from reading all the **** being spewed out here?

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
the best ones are the retards who wear shin guards and a mask with their polyester button down shirts and who in their mind think they are mlb catchers catching anball thrown in underhand at 9 mph:rolleyes:

Kodiak1

Addicted to Softballfans
Some guys just don’t know better. They’re trying their best, but it’s awful waiting for them to chase every ball to the backstop...

Dan240

Addicted to Softballfans
I always found it easier to pop up & track foul shots from a crouch. Plus the first league I started playing in allowed stealing, so you didn’t wanna be that guy chasing the ball to the backstop. So when I do catch it’s a habit for me to crouch.

Normy

Our catcher crouches and still seems to allow 30% of the balls to get by him. Guess it all depends on the individual.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
some people stand, some crouch. do people really make fun of catchers that squat? i've never seen it. i've told catchers they don't need to squat, but never thought to make fun of them.

D-ROCK13

never heard anyone make fun of a catcher for squatting, but I cant stand it when I'm batting and they squat so close that I'm afraid I'm going to hit them when I swing. Easier for me to stand behind the ump and catch missed pitches on the bounce, and make plays on pop ups

Altitude

Addicted to Softballfans
Might simply be older guys with bad backs who don't like bending over to pick up the ball 100x per game.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
never heard anyone make fun of a catcher for squatting, but I cant stand it when I'm batting and they squat so close that I'm afraid I'm going to hit them when I swing. Easier for me to stand behind the ump and catch missed pitches on the bounce, and make plays on pop ups

i played with a dude who squatted and crowded the plate. he ended up getting hit in the face with a bat. it dented the side of his head. he got a concussion. he still catches like that but he wears a mask now. not sure why, we always told him to back up a little. he said that's just how he likes to catch. crazy old bastard. we don't make fun of him squatting, but we do give him a hard time about his wife making him wear the mask from time to time.

Normy

you play it off the bounce and you should never have to pick any ball up.
Squatting is an ergonomic nightmare imo. I told my catcher to play it off the hop but he insists to squat and crowd the plate so he can give me a target. I don't need a glove in the dirt as a target lol.

D-ROCK13

as a pitcher, I don't even pay attention to the catcher, let alone need a target. I have had to even ask umps to scoot back off the plate before. blows my mind that people don't see the danger in a 2.5 pound bat swinging around their head

catomi01

As a pitcher, generally don't care where the catcher is - I'm not aiming at a glove. When I catch, I stand - no way my knees can take squatting and getting back up that much (20 years as a baseball catcher). Once had a guy on a team I was just filling in for who had an issue with me standing. I caught for him the first inning, and it was rough - he couldn't throw strikes, and what he did get over the plate got crushed. As we walked off the field, he pulled me over and said I needed to squat, he couldn't pitch otherwise...never heard anything like that before, but I was just the fill in, so I did what he asked - didn't make a difference.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Squatting is an ergonomic nightmare imo. I told my catcher to play it off the hop but he insists to squat and crowd the plate so he can give me a target. I don't need a glove in the dirt as a target lol.

some dudes are just old school and stubborn! playing off of the bounce also keeps your reflexes in check. :)

StickCollector

Whatever is comfortable for the catcher, as long as it does not interfere with other players or the ump to make a call. But with some leagues using a mat behind the plate, it does not make sense. You could just be blocking the ump's view.

Dan240

Addicted to Softballfans
You run into problems when you play on crappy fields. never know which way the ball is going to bounce.
Or if it bounces at all. Some of the boxes and behind the plate at a few of the parks around here are pretty much sand. The ball hits and goes straight into a roll.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
I will crouch and give the pitch a target, particularly if he is struggling to hit the plate. I always go right up and then jump back and stand to catch the pitch on a bounce. I dont want to get clobbered. I had one guy tell me no to do that, it distracted him. But most others I noticed it helped. I cant/dont do it the whole game. But I also talk to the batter, guess I am annoying, LOL.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The majority of people I've seen crouch take a foul ball to the lips or a bad hop to the face. If they want to I don't care.

FlashTheLeather

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't make fun of catchers that do it, but I don't understand it. Why would you want to restrict yourself to the crouch when you can stand freely, move side to side on bad pitches, easier to get a jump on foul balls, etc.? If the pitcher needs a target, get a new pitcher.