Custom 504 Crowdsourcing

moren025

Addicted to Softballfans
I wonder how many of you guys who say pittards lining erodes quickly actually condition the lining before each season.

A thorough cleaning and conditioning at the end of every season. Played baseball year round in different leagues (two seasons some years, three seasons others) but always one weekend day for game and one sometimes two practices a week (every now and then I'd help a buddy on his softball team when they were short too).
Also would wipe down the glove/mitt between innings when a play was made and/or just because.

Last edited:

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Conditioner and sealer can help a lot, but most guys don't do it. The biggest problem is the finger stall "roof" (the dividers that go over the top of, and separate, your fingers because the leather is much thinner than the part of the lining against the palm. Sweat gets in the leather, the salt holds onto moisture and the moisture promotes bacteria eating the leather. I patched up a PP that looked to be in good shape except the stall between the middle and ring finger was rotted out.

Reactions: NYC

NYC

Swag on 100.
I recently got a new glove and I smeared pro stock conditioner on my hand and massaged the inside of the glove. Was worried it would leave a gooey residue but after 2 days it wasn't even noticeable that it had been conditioned. I'll see how it holds up, but it's a HOH so it'll probably be years before I can make an assessment.

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
OK, so I keep reading about the downside of Pittards being that it breaks down quickly...or quicker than deer tan cowhide.

What kind of breakdown are we talking here? Like over a number of years? It was my intention to game my PP Mocha 3029-6. I'll likely have a whole different set of gloves by then lol.
Mocha leather wears out even faster than the Pittards.
You'll notice it first in the holes where the web mounts, the surface leather wearing out and the grey hide showing through. Next, the base and bar of the web on the pocket side. Fingertips next. Then, the thin mocha leather will start to rip where the web mounts.
Take good care of it!

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
You'll notice it first in the holes where the web mounts, the surface leather wearing out and the grey hide showing through. Next, the base and bar of the web on the pocket side. Fingertips next. Then, the thin mocha leather will start to rip where the web mounts.
Take good care of it!

But it's so pretty! LOL.

Might be a shelf queen then.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Take good care of it!
Hey Dan, which do you consider the toughest, most durable HOH leather? One of the blacks? If so dry or oiled?

Last edited:

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Take good care of it!
But it's so pretty! LOL.

Might be a shelf queen then.
My mocha 435 has over a 100 games (mostly on dirt). No issues. But I am more careful than others.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Conditioner and sealer can help a lot, but most guys don't do it. The biggest problem is the finger stall "roof" (the dividers that go over the top of, and separate, your fingers because the leather is much thinner than the part of the lining against the palm. Sweat gets in the leather, the salt holds onto moisture and the moisture promotes bacteria eating the leather. I patched up a PP that looked to be in good shape except the stall between the middle and ring finger was rotted out.
Finger nails are a big culprit to damaged lining too.

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
Do all you guys suffer from hyperhidrosis?
I don't think it's safe to say that the liner breaks down so much from sweat, like a Wilson does for example. The problem I've noticed on almost every Pittard's lining I've seen (n>75) is that the sheepskin leather layer delaminates from the backing leather. Once this happens, the friction between the two starts holes, which quickly spread.

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't think it's safe to say that the liner breaks down so much from sweat, like a Wilson does for example. The problem I've noticed on almost every Pittard's lining I've seen (n>75) is that the sheepskin leather layer delaminates from the backing leather. Once this happens, the friction between the two starts holes, which quickly spread.

Have you guys seen many examples of the recent Dark Tan (Brown) Deer Tanned Cowhide liners? The one I had on my returned 504 custom was garbage. Spongy almost. The black one on my custom 207 is on a whole other level. I almost thought it was Pittards with a DTC stamp.

beeblebobble

Starting Player
Have you guys seen many examples of the recent Dark Tan (Brown) Deer Tanned Cowhide liners? The one I had on my returned 504 custom was garbage. Spongy almost. The black one on my custom 207 is on a whole other level. I almost thought it was Pittards with a DTC stamp.
The SBF horween exclusives and the Don Morton's '17 horween lines have them and agreed don't feel great at all.

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
Mine is thick, smooth, and stiff. I'll post on IG and tag your Felks

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
It is a wonder that manufacturers have not discovered that SBF is the best focus group they could ever hope for. It seems like the collected wisdom here is that Rawlings makes great gloves, but they gotta fix the damn lining issue!

defos

Finger nails are a big culprit to damaged lining too.

I have an early PROS26BFB ProPreferred that's in good condition except the roof of the finger stall for the ring finger is shredded like a previous owner had claws that he never clipped instead of fingernails.

moren025

Addicted to Softballfans
It is a wonder that manufacturers have not discovered that SBF is the best focus group they could ever hope for. It seems like the collected wisdom here is that Rawlings makes great gloves, but they gotta fix the damn lining issue!
It would make to much sense and the manufacturers want the latest fads where gloves are photographed with the latest footwear or vehicle or at the field...but never actually showing a glove in action.

MaverickAH

I respectfully disagree. It's safe to say that they're aware of the opinions on SBF. But to be perfectly honest, they have to treat them as an outlier. This is a tiny section of the market. A bunch of glove nerds wanting the ultimate. We are more akin to the Star Wars guy who collects the action figures & then writes to the toy manufacturer about some detail they got wrong!

A glove maker's target market is:
  1. Baseball
  2. 8 to 15(?) years old
There's almost nothing, when it comes to brand of leather, stiffness or patterns that really appeals to that market segment. So while it's okay to make small runs from time to time for the "glove aficionado" end of the market, it's not a good business plan for the overall general population. It's human nature to want to think of yourself as, "the norm". Whatever it is that you like, everyone else also likes....... More often than not, this is not the case. There's many a failed business based on this premise.

Officiating both baseball & softball (on all levels) allows me to see, in real time, what players are using. The vast majority of participants, from youth to adult, are using sub $150 gloves with the lion's share of them being sub $100 gloves. You don't start to see high end gloves until the 10-12 age group from travel team players & even then it's still in the minority. A good portion of what you do see are hand-me-downs. Dad's/Grandpa's/Uncle's old glove........ Every so often you will see the new high end glove mixed in. Mostly of the stock, big chain store variety. You see plenty of adults using their old baseball glove. I do see a new glove in the mix once in a while, but more often than not, it's from someone with more money than sense. You will also see a lot of high end gloves being used by the "former college player" crowd. Just last week I saw a brand new Pro Preferred. I didn't examine it too closely but it looked to be a PRO200-6K. The player it belonged to looked to be in his 20's so while he could've still been playing baseball, it looked completely out of place in a coed softball game!