Custom DCT - Would you be mad?

fuzzai

Starting Player
Hey Folks,

Just received a custom DCT.
How angry would you be with the way the back of the glove turned out?
There's a bubble on the black part of the leather. Like they sewed it too high

The trim on my DCTJBT one doesn't have this...and i've also noticed the Black DCT, from the binding. to the trim of the pocket, there's only 2 stitches, and on my custom, there's 4 stitches....

Pics below...

IMG_3290.jpg
[/URL]
78868691-2B44-4BAA-B058-AF603808DCB0_4.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_32881.jpg
[/URL]

03F24690-B982-4470-8C69-1C80BE4DAF17.jpg
[/URL]

Thoughts?

Joker

doesn't matter what we think. it's your glove. if you're not happy have them make you a new one

fuzzai

Starting Player
doesn't matter what we think. it's your glove. if you're not happy have them make you a new one

you're a good man, ;)

more less looking to see if that's normal, as it seems to be where the web gets laced in, and after feeling around...it...it appears to be because the black is "softer" then the gold tan. Its definitely softer then the JT black...

only the second DCT i've touched/seen.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
It looks like it might be caused by a couple of the laces pulled too tight. Try loosening up the two knots on the back of the web and see if you can pull that bubble out. If that allows the bubble to flatten out, I think you'll be GTG. If not, then send that pic in to Rawlings and see what they say... 'cause it doe not look good right now.

fuzzai

Starting Player
It looks like it might be caused by a couple of the laces pulled too tight. Try loosening up the two knots on the back of the web and see if you can pull that bubble out. If that allows the bubble to flatten out, I think you'll be GTG. If not, then send that pic in to Rawlings and see what they say... 'cause it doe not look good right now.

Thanks Rous,

looking at the glove, i can't tell which lace it would be.
Is it one of the single knot ones? if so. there cut pretty short. And i think the 2 square knots on the back of the post on the web, are for the web, no?

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
The bottom knot on the back of the web just runs 4-5" down to single knots on the side. The upper knot is the beginning of the lace that runs to those triangles tying the web to the shell. So loosen both the square knots on back of the web.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
My guess, by the look of it, is that they stitched it up too close to the edge or too high up (depending on how you want to look at it) causing the bubble and the uneven leather. I would contact Rawlings first to let them know of the problem, along with pictures, before making any adjustments to the lace. CS may say it was caused by you so it is best to have yourself covered just in case.

aander10

Addicted to Softballfans
I'd definitely be unhappy. You should be completely satisfied considering the price you're paying.

fuzzai

Starting Player
so got home, looked at my black dct. like swing bunt said, his was 3.5 stitches between binding and web trim, my black one is 3...this custom has much much more space, and it doesn't appear to be a lace issue. but will try that later tonight...

Called Rawlings Canada, they said to send them the glove, if they can't fix it (relace glove) i got 2 option since it has my name on it. I can keep it for 50% or get a full new one.

So time will tell.

Thanks guys!

BOLTMAN21

Manager
so got home, looked at my black dct. like swing bunt said, his was 3.5 stitches between binding and web trim, my black one is 3...this custom has much much more space, and it doesn't appear to be a lace issue. but will try that later tonight...

Called Rawlings Canada, they said to send them the glove, if they can't fix it (relace glove) i got 2 option since it has my name on it. I can keep it for 50% or get a full new one.

So time will tell.

Thanks guys!

My DCT custom is 4.5 stitches between binding and web trim. You definitely need to be completely satisfied if you're paying full price. 50% off is a great 2nd option though.

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
My Dctjbt has 3 stitches between the binding and the Web and no puckering. I'd take the 50% discount...unless it's going to be a shelf queen then get it redone.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Good catch Swinging Bunt! It does look like that piece of teh shall was sewn in too high up. Like I said, 1/8" can make a big difference.

fuzzai

Starting Player
Good catch Swinging Bunt! It does look like that piece of teh shall was sewn in too high up. Like I said, 1/8" can make a big difference.

Measured this morning, bottom of trim to binding (middle were the sewing is) was 1/8" off.....from the trim to the circle "r" logo, its also 1/8" off.

The picture were you can see the bubble on the black trim. if you look at the anchor points for the web, there's that one knot there in the same hole. I noticed on my JBT dct, the trim is right NEXT to that hole. On this custom, its 1/8 away and it appears were all the issues started.

It will be a gamer, so once they confirm that's the issue (i hope) ill keep it for 50% off. why not.

Cheers,

yankees23

Addicted to Softballfans
All this talk about the area of the glove, I looked at the new PRODCTW I just picked up and noticed the bottom of the web is laced different than any other DCT I have owned. Take a look at the way the bottom knot is not even on the web!

1947cf39a67e8e9c4972dfb32c8bc484.jpg

yankees23

Addicted to Softballfans
I looked at some pictures of some of the DCT's I have had in my possession over the years and this seems to happen occasionally but does not effect performance at all.

e38648f1586fcef0baf8899ea096a1a4.jpg

f3a9275a2a165a4921e3a04378430da6.jpg

100_1429.jpg

100_1033.jpg

image-1.jpg

BOLTMAN21

Manager
I looked at some pictures of some of the DCT's I have had in my possession over the years and this seems to happen occasionally but does not effect performance at all.

f3a9275a2a165a4921e3a04378430da6.jpg

How big (long) was that H-web you swapped in? Love the look of this. Did the glove play wider after? I would consider this way later on.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
The DCT started with a triple bar web and the holes in the shell were designed for it. Later web changes require them to get creative... but that white one takes the cake!

RawlingsDCT7mintf.jpg

RawlingsDCT7mintb2.jpg

fuzzai

Starting Player
All this talk about the area of the glove, I looked at the new PRODCTW I just picked up and noticed the bottom of the web is laced different than any other DCT I have owned. Take a look at the way the bottom knot is not even on the web!

1947cf39a67e8e9c4972dfb32c8bc484.jpg

On the custom glove builder, thats what the picture looks like.
I thought this one was going to come like this, but it came like the older ones with double knot.

yankees23

Addicted to Softballfans
How big (long) was that H-web you swapped in? Love the look of this. Did the glove play wider after? I would consider this way later on.

That was not a web swap. It came like you see it. It was a baseball express exclusive from over 5 years ago.

I have this one below also which plays even wider. This is hands down the best DCT I have owned.

7ef02f9a82eaf880adbcf62aea6f2568.jpg

c9daad312ae3fac1baec519a1ade7565.jpg

Last edited:

Jomatty

Starting Player
^^^thats the one I like the best. Makes me want to track one down and start playing first base...if dct is the best softball first base mitt that has to be the best variation for softball.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
It will be a gamer, so once they confirm that's the issue (i hope) ill keep it for 50% off. why not.

That's what I'd do. It's an annoying blemish, but it's strictly cosmetic. Not gonna notice it while using it.

Plus I'd hate to return a glove for a minor reason like that knowing it was just gonna get turfed.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I want to say that I have seen gloves on rawlingsgear with names on them (heavily discounted, of course). I expect if Rawlings thought they could sell it for $100, they'd do that before trashing it.

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
I want to say that I have seen gloves on rawlingsgear with names on them (heavily discounted, of course). I expect if Rawlings thought they could sell it for $100, they'd do that before trashing it.

It seems they often have named hoh up for $150. Id wondered why they are there as they make no mention of blemhishes but now that u mention it, it makes sense