Custom Softball Glove Advice For A Newbie

Goliathxero

Extra Hitter
I'm new to softball, but enjoy it enough that I've decided I want to invest in a custom glove. There are a wide variety of manufacturers and prices out there for custom gloves. There are an even wider range of reviews. Obviously the Wilson and Rawlings gloves are nicer than the $150 gloves out there. Are there any middle of the road manufacturers out there? The Wilson and Rawlings gloves seem to be more geared toward baseball. Is it better to have a softball pattern glove verse a baseball pattern or does it matter? Also, most of the higher end gloves stop at 12.75-13". I currently play right field with a cheap off the shelf 13" Louisville glove and do fine. Would I be better off with a 13.5 or 14" glove? Is a 12.75" going to feel drastically smaller than a 13"? Thanks for the advice.

send "A Cy 617" a PM. He is an expert on custom gloves that aren't Wilson or Rawlings. I believe his specialty is M2 and Rodriguez.

CapnBooBox

Addicted to Softballfans
Size-wise, each glove will really be different. Some 12.75 gloves will feel small to you and some will feel close to the size of your current one. My best advice is to find somewhere near you that has a good selection of gloves and go try all of their outfield gloves on.

Brand-wise, Louisville Slugger is underrated and are reasonably priced. Glovesmith customs are cheaper than Wilson/Rawlings and have great leather/quality, but their patterns aren't for everyone. To be honest, you can find amazing gloves for less money than you'll spend on a custom. I say try on different brands and find a model you like. Then come here and search online for a good price. Finding a great Wilson, Rawlings, Nike, Mizuno, etc. for a decent price can be accomplished here if your patient and are looking.

This also may help a little:
http://forums.softballfans.com/showthread.php?t=1292740

Outside of that forum, you can find a ton of reviews and opinions of gloves on here with the search function.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
The Glovesmith 13" and 13.5" patterns are nice, and you can get them anywhere from $150, $199, $239 or $309 (this one is USA made).

But get a tape measure and measure your LS. It may not measure exactly 13".

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
LOL, I know, I know!!! I had a teammate buy a cheap 14" Mizuno that was smaller than my 13" Nokona. We measured it and it was < 13". But I do think that most LSs are about right. Given that a couple of the 12.75" Rawlings I have measured lately have been 12.5", if the OP really does like 13", he'd be disappointed with a glove that is 1/2" shorter.

edvedsfb

Addicted to Softballfans
Do a search on here for Capire Custom Gloves. I think their lowest model is $199 and they make what they call "softball specific patterns". I've never owned one but they're cheaper than the big 3 customs and they aren't made in Mexico. If you search on here you may get some feedback.

Samuelkeesee12

Starting Player
Do a search on here for Capire Custom Gloves. I think their lowest model is $199 and they make what they call "softball specific patterns". I've never owned one but they're cheaper than the big 3 customs and they aren't made in Mexico. If you search on here you may get some feedback.

I looked at them myself and thought they looked pretty good but I also thought the palm part of the pocket looked pretty shallow. It may have just been from the pics I saw but I would much rather have a wide, deep glove than a shallow, long glove. Like I said, it may have just been the pics I saw. I would like to actually see one of their 13 or 13.5 to see exactly what the pocket looked like.

edvedsfb

Addicted to Softballfans
I looked at them myself and thought they looked pretty good but I also thought the palm part of the pocket looked pretty shallow. It may have just been from the pics I saw but I would much rather have a wide, deep glove than a shallow, long glove. Like I said, it may have just been the pics I saw. I would like to actually see one of their 13 or 13.5 to see exactly what the pocket looked like.

Yeah, I can't really help you. I have no actual experience with them.

Goliathxero

Extra Hitter

I've looked at them some. Have to do some research and see what kind of feedback they have gotten.

suthrner

Church League Allstar
But get a tape measure and measure your LS. It may not measure exactly 13".

As Advertised,
tmp_20140529_172012-207114067_zps559480c0.jpg

Last edited:

Goliathxero

Extra Hitter
Try not to laugh too hard if I measured this wrong. The tape measure doesn't completely conform the the glove, but looks to be between 12 and 12.5.
image-1.jpg

Camoninja

Addicted to Softballfans
Judging by the size of your current glove I would look at a rawlings pro504 and a 302, wilson kp92, 1799, vinci rv1961, rv56. Customs in the limitex leather from vinci are very reasonable and the rawlings custom hoh runs around 279. There was a sight the had a hinge webbed 504, maybe the snake, and it looked pretty good. Gloveamith has great leather to, I have read, and my first custom from them may be here next week. Week 5. You get what you pay for in gloves/custom gloves. I would advise you to stay away from gloves made in mexico. I would be sure to ask if that's where they are made before I paid.

Jomatty

Starting Player
Why custom? Sounds like you can get what you are looking for without going custom and save some money. Personally I'd rather have a high end wilson or rawlings than a middle of the road custom. If you want softball specific look at Vinci or ls softball pro flares.

suthrner

Church League Allstar
That one is actually 13.5 but I think the 13" would be fine as long you get the softball pattern because of the wider, deeper pocket.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
This is the glove you need. Go with the larger one if you like, but IMO a glove that measures a true 13 is more than enough glove for any position.

I agree and all the while I am gaming a Vinci custom 13.25" glove. To me all the reason to try some new non custom gloves. Find out what leather, pattern and size you like before buying a custom.
I have custom Vinci and Capires. Both very nice, Vinci pattern are more softball compatible but, the Capires work fine. If you are in So Cal we can meet up and you could check them out, I have gamers and am gonna BP Sunday, LMK. The glovesmiths are good leather and well made also. To check the big 3 out just check the stock ones out local. Used gloves are always a good value if you wanna game a specific pattern first.

Goliathxero

Extra Hitter
I agree and all the while I am gaming a Vinci custom 13.25" glove. To me all the reason to try some new non custom gloves. Find out what leather, pattern and size you like before buying a custom.
I have custom Vinci and Capires. Both very nice, Vinci pattern are more softball compatible but, the Capires work fine. If you are in So Cal we can meet up and you could check them out, I have gamers and am gonna BP Sunday, LMK. The glovesmiths are good leather and well made also. To check the big 3 out just check the stock ones out local. Used gloves are always a good value if you wanna game a specific pattern first.

I'm Not in So Cal. Thanks for the offer though.

Goliathxero

Extra Hitter
Why custom? Sounds like you can get what you are looking for without going custom and save some money. Personally I'd rather have a high end wilson or rawlings than a middle of the road custom. If you want softball specific look at Vinci or ls softball pro flares.

Don't know that I need a custom glove. Just would be nice to have something that is uniquely mine. Think the price would be easier to sell to my wife if the glove was custom vs stock. I'm not sure that i am definitely looking for a softball specific glove either. Was more so asking what the difference was.

suthrner

Church League Allstar
Don't know that I need a custom glove. Just would be nice to have something that is uniquely mine. Think the price would be easier to sell to my wife if the glove was custom vs stock. I'm not sure that i am definitely looking for a softball specific glove either. Was more so asking what the difference was.

One is made to catch a 9" ball and the other is made to catch a 12" ball.

Goliathxero

Extra Hitter
One is made to catch a 9" ball and the other is made to catch a 12" ball.

Figured it was that simple, but didn't know if it might just be a marketing thing. Market it as a softball glove but it's the same thing as a similar model baseball glove. Thanks.

edvedsfb

Addicted to Softballfans
Figured it was that simple, but didn't know if it might just be a marketing thing. Market it as a softball glove but it's the same thing as a similar model baseball glove. Thanks.

IMO Pocket Depth > Overall Length/Size

Some baseball gloves work great becasue the pattern and web allow for a deep pocket. Some patterns (Like a 13in Nike I own), are very narrow and aren't very suited for softball. If you search certain gloves on here, you'll get some great recommendations for standard baseball gloves that are awesome for softball and much cheaper than buying a custom. Specifically the Wilson a2000 1799, Rawlings Pro303/302 models, and the LS Pro Flare FL1276C55 are all popular models that play large and deep for softball. Good luck

Jomatty

Starting Player
I spend my entire life justifying purchases to my wife so if that helps then go custom. Maybe I'll even try that, whether next glove is custom or not...