DC-41 2017 vs 2016

SaoLin

Hi everyone, baseball/softball player since little league here. Got out of it for about 15 years but now getting a bit serious again.

That being said, I'm considering my first "big" bat purchase and was wondering what the difference between the Miken DC-41 2016 vs Miken DC-41 2017 USSSA bats? Is this just a repaint? Or am I losing out choosing one over the other?

Also, for context: I found the DC-41 2016 for $200 CDN and the DC-41 2017 for $329 CDN. Ultimately, is the 2017 DC-41 worth the extra $129?

Thank you in advance! :)

SaoLin

I do like endload as I've been getting my swing speeds up a bit more this year. I tried the Miken Freak 30 and compared it to my Lousville Z4 28 end, and I prefer the sound, feel and pop off the bat of the Miken Freak. I saw the DC-41 had good reviews so I've targeted that bat since my brother got the Freak 50, to spread the options out.

THESHOE

Starting Player
End loads are the same to me.

2016 is a great value on clearance. Needs little to no work to hit VERY well. Gamed mine right away with only about 25 BP hits on it.

2017 takes more work and has a stiffer feeling barrel about it. Almost like a throwback to the 2014-2015 White DC41 2pc bats. I like it, buit it wasn't ready to go right away like the 2016. Weight seems identical to me.

Durability is hard to say at this stage. But the 2016 was so good initially that I worry it won't last as long as others I've owned.

Is it worth the extra $129? To me no. It won't be getting you any super extra distance. Take the 2016 with a valid receipt and beat it until it breaks. Then take your warranty bat. Just my 2 cents.

PS: If you're Canadian, likely hitting 52/300 Worth Hot Dots - The 2016 hits those VERY well.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Same load.

While production runs may vary bat to bat, the DC41 is a 1oz EL bat. My experience is only the red knob DC41 swung lighter load wise cause they never truly achieved Supermax loads on those. From the reissues and subsequent black DC's forward they always had that full load feel and weight about them for me.

I've swung the 2017, but have chosen not to buy one yet. Nothing too different from the reissue white DC and 2016 I own, and or the HR Sports Miken Freakshow Supermax Green bat.

Just comes down to how much endload you prefer. The 17 DC swings heavier

Teams

The Rookie
Recurring theme on here. Stick to what fits you and if you can get it cheaper then go for it.