dc41 rattling

SmithGT

Coach
I bought a new dc41 about a month ago. It has maybe 2-300 hits on it between bp and games. Last week i noticed a small rattle inside the barrel. This week it got worse like more pebbles were moving. Then something inside of the barrel broke loose. Feels like the endload weight moves up and down. The bat is hot and the outside looks fine. No cracks or webbing. We hit 44/375 balls. Anybody had this happen with theirs? I have used many bats with a rattle but nothing moving inside the barrel like this.

killer mike

Addicted to Softballfans
My 4TF started rattling after 40 hits. My good buddy told me it's typical of a miken/worth to rattle or epoxy from the endcap to come loose and rattle early.

If you purchased bat and have a valid receipt, give them a call. Chances are they will take care of it for free, just pay the shipping cost to ship to them

MaMaLuLu

Addicted to Softballfans
in most of mine I could hear a very small piece of metal from the very first swings.. but in your case it's something bigger. If it doesn't get tossed out by umps I would swing away.. don't waste your warranty on that

SmithGT

Coach
i have a receipt but hate to use the warranty when the outside of the barrel looks fine and seems like most others are having good durability with their dc41. still hits the ball well but umps will probably toss it. here's a video of how bad it is...
http://s24.photobucket.com/user/smithgt10/media/20140818_171503_zps8487e65b.mp4.html
[ame=http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c27/smithgt10/20140818_171503_zps8487e65b.mp4]
th_20140818_171503_zps8487e65b.mp4
[/ame]

SmithGT

Coach
Talked to miken customer service and was told they will try to repair the bat if possible. Sent it to them today. Hopefully wont have to use my warranty but we will see soon

blinkimgone04

Hey Cool !
as stated before.... BOTH of my NIW DC41s had the exact same sound. swing away, eventually that rattle goes away, believe it or not.

i have a receipt but hate to use the warranty when the outside of the barrel looks fine and seems like most others are having good durability with their dc41. still hits the ball well but umps will probably toss it. here's a video of how bad it is...
http://s24.photobucket.com/user/smithgt10/media/20140818_171503_zps8487e65b.mp4.html

doG

dabz
There is a little piece that sits under where the knob and the handle of the bat meet. Im guessing its supposed to help anchor, or bind the bat handle to the knob. It almost looks like a little magnet. That thing comes loose and runs up into the barrel sometimes. If you tap the endcap, or knob on a soft but firm surface it may "go away" temporarily. Having that piece come loose may increase the chances of your knob coming off but it shouldn't have any bearing on how the bat performs.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
doG, thats the plug miken and worth use. it's a counterbalance weight plug. i dunno if they still use those or not.

doG

dabz
I couldn't figure out what purpose it served...didn't seem heavy enough to be counter balance at the time but it was an end loaded Triad so makes sense. They do still use it I have seen it in the Mutants and Triads this year. It sounded similar to that DC41 when the weights ran up into the barrel so im only assuming they have one too and that's what it is.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
yes, it is a counter balance and they vary in weight. some are an inch long, some are 4 inches long depending on the counterweight needed for a particular model. a board bro had a pic of all the rods he removed all varying in weights and lengths coming from different models. i think in that How It's Made episode of the Recoil, it mentions it nad shows it inserted and cut.

doG

dabz
Ya I know what the normal counter balance rod looks like. That's not what I was talking about with the 2 piece bats though. It looks like a nickel...maybe a little thicker, and black like a magnet if memory serves. It still may be a counter balance thingy, but its not a rod like the 1 piece mikens and worths have. You said you have a legit in another thread? Take the sticker off. No rod nahmean.

DStandridge

OHIPAL
I'd contact Miken about this issue. Like mentioned before, it could be the counter weight used in the handle. I could only assume, Miken would just re-install the weight, w/o using your return.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Ya I know what the normal counter balance rod looks like. That's not what I was talking about with the 2 piece bats though. It looks like a nickel...maybe a little thicker, and black like a magnet if memory serves. It still may be a counter balance thingy, but its not a rod like the 1 piece mikens and worths have. You said you have a legit in another thread? Take the sticker off. No rod nahmean.

haha. i thought you were referring to the handle rod. i HAD a legit. traded it for a utrip greinert two weeks ago.

Lou, you know too much about the insides of miken bats. Playing doctor up in WA? :bigok:

freak+ and rawlings RUSH120's were my favorite bats a few years back. broke enough of them to get to know their guts. mike, you've just been offishially fish slapped :fish: