Other Dead ball

chezzeburger29

Addicted to Softballfans
If a ball is caught by an outfielder the runners dont tag but the outfielder throws the ball out of play what happens to the runners.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Balls thrown out of play result in a two-base award for all runners. The two bases are determined from the runners position when the throw is made.

When the ball becomes dead (goes out of play) the runners may retrace their steps and touch the bases left too soon, then complete their base award. If they do, then everything is legal. If they don't, then they are subject to an appeal by the defense for leaving early, and would be out if properly appealed. If the defense, doesn't appeal, then there is no penalty and the runners keep their awarded bases.

There are some rare exceptions and some sanctioning bodies determine the two bases a little differently, but in general this is how it's handled.

chezzeburger29

Addicted to Softballfans
OK good I got the call right. But instead of the other team appealing the play they kept yelling at me to make them tag up

MaverickAH

OK good I got the call right. But instead of the other team appealing the play they kept yelling at me to make them tag up

And they'd be correct in stating that the runners still have to go back & legally tag up before proceeding to take their award. Where they'd be wrong is insisting that you make them do so! You keep your mouth shut as you are not there to coach. If any runners don't tag up, it becomes an appealable situation for the defense & outs can be called.

Since you indicated "Other", different associations award differently.

ASA is a two base award but any tag ups must still occur.

USSSA is also a two base award but one of the awards is the re-tag of the base they didn't tag up from. In my mind since the tag up is part of the award, this negates the need to re-tag.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
And they'd be correct in stating that the runners still have to go back & legally tag up before proceeding to take their award. Where they'd be wrong is insisting that you make them do so! You keep your mouth shut as you are not there to coach. If any runners don't tag up, it becomes an appealable situation for the defense & outs can be called.

Exactly. It's not our job to tell players what to do. The most I will tell them is what they can't do.

Since you indicated "Other", different associations award differently.

ASA is a two base award but any tag ups must still occur.

USSSA is also a two base award but one of the awards is the re-tag of the base they didn't tag up from. In my mind since the tag up is part of the award, this negates the need to re-tag.

Not sure where you're getting this...

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Exactly. It's not our job to tell players what to do. The most I will tell them is what they can't do.

You: Coach, what are you asking me to do?
Coach: You need to make them go back and tag up!
You: I'm the umpire, not a coach. I cannot force them to touch a base.
Coach: But it's against the rules! They have to touch the bases!
You: What are you asking me coach???? Are you telling me I should call them out for failing to retouch their base before advancing on a catch?
Coach: Well, yeah!
You: You're right, runners are out.

:)

MaverickAH

You: Coach, what are you asking me to do?
Coach: You need to make them go back and tag up!
You: I'm the umpire, not a coach. I cannot force them to touch a base.
Coach: But it's against the rules! They have to touch the bases!
You: What are you asking me coach???? Are you telling me I should call them out for failing to retouch their base before advancing on a catch?
Coach: Well, yeah!
You: You're right, runners are out.

:)

If you did it this way, unless that coach was also an infielder who was actually in the game on this play, you'd be dead wrong for accepting his appeal.

By rule, only an infielder (this includes the P & the C) can appeal a play of leaving early or a missed base on a dead ball. By rule, an umpire is supposed to give runner "ample opportunity" to return & touch any base missed or left too early before making his award. If you don't see a runner making an effort to retouch, you should then make your award. Once a runner advances to the next base in the award. They cannot legally go back to retouch.

If you accepted an appeal by the defense's coach in this manner, you should have had a coach from the other team coming out to file a protest.

FTR, I had a similar situation a couple of weeks ago. Runners on 1st & 3rd with one out in a two man system. Fly ball to LF for the 2nd out. Both runners actually legally tagged up. The 3B runner scores & the 1B runner gets caught in a rundown & is subsequently put out. The defense leaves the field. Now I have their coach coming out trying to get a 4th out appeal on the runner on 3B leaving early. I explained to him that I can't even listen to his appeal because:
A) His players have left the field.
B) He is not allowed to make the appeal.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
If you did it this way, unless that coach was also an infielder who was actually in the game on this play, you'd be dead wrong for accepting his appeal.

By rule, only an infielder (this includes the P & the C) can appeal a play of leaving early or a missed base on a dead ball. By rule, an umpire is supposed to give runner "ample opportunity" to return & touch any base missed or left too early before making his award. If you don't see a runner making an effort to retouch, you should then make your award. Once a runner advances to the next base in the award. They cannot legally go back to retouch.

If you accepted an appeal by the defense's coach in this manner, you should have had a coach from the other team coming out to file a protest.

FTR, I had a similar situation a couple of weeks ago. Runners on 1st & 3rd with one out in a two man system. Fly ball to LF for the 2nd out. Both runners actually legally tagged up. The 3B runner scores & the 1B runner gets caught in a rundown & is subsequently put out. The defense leaves the field. Now I have their coach coming out trying to get a 4th out appeal on the runner on 3B leaving early. I explained to him that I can't even listen to his appeal because:
A) His players have left the field.
B) He is not allowed to make the appeal.

Well, you cannot stop him from making the appeal, you just don't honor it :) And, BTW, it is when all infielders (including the pitcher) leave fair territory that an appeal is no longer accepted.

And yes, I'm aware it must be a defender not playing the outfield. The supposition I offered was simply an example of getting the situation under control and making sense of all the bull**** that is screamed across a field. If you are more anal than I, and that is really a difficult task, please insert "Pitcher" where "Coach" is noted.

RC#13

Part Time Player
I think in most cases when someone (player or MANAGER) says "make them" do something what they really are saying is MAKE SURE that they .......

Tag up
Slide
Etc.......