Deadbeat Teammates

Bomber08

Addicted to Softballfans
I played on a team once that the players who ended the season batting under .500 had to pay for the league fee...worked out pretty good!

Kramit

I get MOST of the money from people. Overall I wind up paging for two plus balls bc people think balls are free. Probably going to have to add the cost in for next season. It's a pain but as previously stated trying to find another team to pick
Up with is.hard work.

squirt

strokin and swingin
Been there, done that and I am done with it. The worst part of this whole thing, the ones that don't pay usually make comments about me acting like a bill collector.

This is my last season that I pay for the team and try to collect afterwards. Some people are just mooches!!!

Last edited:

Techwarrior

<font color="#4F94CD">SBF Fund Donor</font>
I have a guy that still owes me $180 from 3 years ago. I would see him from time to time and he'd say "Don't worry man, I'll pay you plus interest!"

I hate chasing deadbeats. The POS played more games than I did and we won the championship.

flyout

Addicted to Softballfans
It really pisses me when a guy blows $20 a week or more at the bar after games for beer and food and is stiffing me for $55 bucks.

On the positive side, I now have our new team name: Deadbeats or No Show....

eric89074

Addicted to Softballfans
Try collecting money from girls that think they're Robinson Cano because they played 2nd base for a year at SW Central State Community College before washing out.

I make it very simple. Each person pays $53.00 for a 7 week season; this includes all fees. At the end of the 5th week I get everyone together after our game and let them know signups for next season are coming up and if they want to play I need the money by the last game of the season. I make it clear if they haven't paid by then I'll assume they're not playing and will look for a replacement.

bescurred

Addicted to Softballfans
I always pay as soon as coach asks for it...I hear him asking guys and emailing all the guys on the list saying if you haven't paid yet, go ahead and pay please. I can understand the frusteration in that. Me, I wouldn't want to be a coach b/c of that.

Jkmbones

Mizuno. Next Question?
Every team has 2-4 guys that won't help with balls, money, and/or won't buy a bat. They either are real solid ball players, never miss a game , or good friends. You want to cut them.. Just don't seem right! The wild card is attitude: If a guy is cheap and a cancer... Dude is going to get blown up.. Funny how you c these guys on different teams every year!

dsmccain

Addicted to Softballfans
The money part sucks, but its gotta be done. From my experience, its best to collect every single penny up front and threaten the "if you don't pay, you don't play".

This year, my bro had the nerve to tell me he couldn't fork up the $40 because he had to buy all these tools for his new job. The kicker, he told me during a poker night where he just came from his fantasy baseball draft. My dad is in that league, and the next day I asked how much the buy in was, he said $150.

In the end, he ended up paying at the first game, but why even say you won't have the money, just stay quiet until you have it.

dsmccain

Addicted to Softballfans
Paying up front is also nice because you have everyone financially tied into the season. I had one player who flaked, but I still have his $$.

I got $40 out of everyone this year to cover ump fees and balls. Next year, I think I'll add another $10, and that $10 will go towards a team bat.

alberts35

Addicted to Softballfans
Paying up front is also nice because you have everyone financially tied into the season. I had one player who flaked, but I still have his $$.

I got $40 out of everyone this year to cover ump fees and balls. Next year, I think I'll add another $10, and that $10 will go towards a team bat.

This. All my guys are under 25, but they all paid anywhere from $50-$100 before the season started, just to get our team in....I'm hoping I won't have to worry about no-shows or forfeits since every guy contributed a decent chunk just to play....

1st Baseman

Addicted to Softballfans
Fees

Local Rec League Fees (18 games + 2GG tourney) = $60
Round of golf at the local course = $60
Avengers 3D + snacks at the movies = $60
10 frames of Bowling for 1 + shoe rental = $17.50
Taking the wife to Outback + bottle of wine = $70

unreal how guys can't seem to pony up $60 for a minimum of 20 hrs of ball, but can drop $60 for activities that last less than 4 hours.

^^^^ This is so familiar, reminds me of guys who never travel (claim they're broke but got money for bowling and golf) but want to play in every single local game/tourney...Or the guy who owns a Walmart glove, a ball he snagged at some tourney, a pair of batting gloves he found or someone gave him and nothing else (never bought or will buy a bat )... Same guy will spend $50.00 or more on beer in one day like it's nothing...