ASA Defensive alignment question

Mongo23

Manager
So I play in an ASA coed league and last year there was a call by the ump that contridicts an ump last week. Basically while at bat the SS for the defense would switch to RF and moved the female RF to SS everytime a lefty guy would come up to bat. No one on my team complained but last year the ump said ASA rules wouldn't allow the fielder to change position unless he was a short fielder and was shifting sides of the field or from short fielder to a straight up 4 man OF. Told both teams once you start an inning at a position you can switch but can not continuously switch back.

Flash to last Sunday. Similar deal, this time their LC switched to RF and moved the girl there every time a lefty guy came up. This time I asked the ump between innings and he said ASA allowed fielders to change positions freely.

Either way I don't care since we won, but I figured I would ask you guys and see which ump was right.

IrishBlue

Addicted to Softballfans
Both right

ASA Co-ed requires there to be two females in the outfield and 2 in the infield and the pitcher catcher should be male / female but not necessarily in that order.

In your first case it looks like a male infielder was switching with a female outfielder and so your ratios are wrong, rule broken. Fielders can change position all they want as long as the ratios are correct and they are not doing anything to distract the batter.

In your second scenario the outfielders are simply changing position, no change in ratio and so no rules broken.

Unless you have some local league rule that makes anything I have written totally irrelevant. Fixed it myself.

Last edited:

Mongo23

Manager
Irish, in both leagues the league rules say that there just be 3 women on the field at all times (7 and 3 league.) No where does it mention where they have to be place in the field. Sorry if the league rules make my initial question harder to answer.

msinn

Addicted to Softballfans
Mongo- guessing you play Hub? None of the "ASA leagues" in MA actually follow real ASA rules (Hub, BSSC, BWCS, SBS all claim ASA but only sorta kinda depending on the ump, even the umps wearing ASA stuff). For instance, the real ASA requires equal gender ratio (5/5 or 6/6), there are gender requirements based on fielding position, alternate batting order (must always be MFMFMFMF...)

In short there is no rule, but depending on the league, a large chunk of the league umps Ive come across here flat out invent rules or mix and match from wildly variable associations/rule sets (had one try to enforce 16" rules a few weeks ago)

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Irish, in both leagues the league rules say that there just be 3 women on the field at all times (7 and 3 league.) No where does it mention where they have to be place in the field. Sorry if the league rules make my initial question harder to answer.

You asked for an ASA ruling and Irish gave it to you. If it is a local rule, go ask the local league officers.