Delusional Teammate

JFLY25

Coach
How do you deal with a guy that thinks he is gods gift to softball? I need to deflate his head. This guy has slightly above average skills but already thinks he belongs in the HOF. Tired of it! I would love to put him batting 11th at the DH only position or Catcher for a game but he would cry and bring everybody down. I know just get rid of him BUT...... We play in a league in Iowa and don't have many players available for replacement if I dusted him.

Does the majority of the team feel the same way as you? If not and you're the one bothered by him then suck it up and let him continue to help your team. If they are all tired of his act too then talk to him man to man and let him know to tone it down or he'll be a free agent.

If you decide to buy the sbfnuts make sure to PM Coach for a discount.

AshAid28

Coach
Just tell yourself that every team you see, play against, watch etc has the same issue with someone.... Never fails every team has that type of guy!!!! Slightly off his rocker who thinks he's Barry Bonds but isn't even as good as a little leaguer

trip

stfu
it took my old team four or five years to get rid of our resident douchebag. the only reason he's on a team now because his team only has 7-8 guys show up on a regular basis

teamriot38

UNKNOWNachilles
If the team feels the same way, you can talk to him.

If nobody has brought it up, they like winning and can deal with him and will probably boot their dead weight coach instead.

bigdog2003

Addicted to Softballfans
I had a guy on my team a few years ago that swore he was the greatest thing in softball history. He had never played before but he swore he could out play anybody at any position. One night our 3rd baseman made a few errors, the world's greatest player asked to play 3rd the next game. I was tired of his mouth, so I put him there. The other team tore him up, he was bruised and battered after the game since he couldn't catch. He never came back after that, guess he learned just how great his skills were.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine was well below average and after he didn't show up without notice I cut him.

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
You admit that he has above average skills. Just take stats for everyone and show him where he stands. Maybe that'll humble him. That sounds spiteful to do him wrong. Are you trying to run him off without cutting him? Maybe he's not delusional but just very competitive

mattya420

Manager
I love guys like that. They keep the game interesting. Pad his ego and see how big his head can get. If he bats .600 or more and makes the plays then he's helping the team win

MaMaLuLu

Addicted to Softballfans
If the team also share your opinion talk to them about it and cut him. Don't waste your time trying to educate this guy lol

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
I've got one on my team currently, but I got lucky, 4 games in he pulled his hammy and hasn't played since. Still shows up though......

Don't really want/need him coming back in the fall either

Fistfight in the dugout is the only option

This made me LOL

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
Wow, I'm kind of shocked that guys care so much about people's mentality that they're willing to cut them. Just curious, what does he do that bothers you so much to think he's ****y, has an ego, or is delusional? The gear he wears, the way he carries himself, confidence level? Maybe he gets frustrated if he doesn't hit the ball out or has a certain average.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can, and normally is. Plus people that think they're better than they are can be annoying as hell if they're not quiet. We usually just give repetitive advice to those players until they hit the cutoff man.

Redman

Wow, I'm kind of shocked that guys care so much about people's mentality that they're willing to cut them. Just curious, what does he do that bothers you so much to think he's ****y, has an ego, or is delusional? The gear he wears, the way he carries himself, confidence level? Maybe he gets frustrated if he doesn't hit the ball out or has a certain average.

You've obviously never had one of these douche bags on the team before. Its even worse when they're average or below.

a bad attitude can be more harmful than poor performance to a team

Exactly. Had "gods gifts" on a few different teams and every game it dropped the performance of the whole team a notch or 2. Not to mention having to play with 9 when they get tossed out

Like the others said, talk to him like a man. Or talk to the better than him guys on the team and see what they think, and if they don't like his **** either have them talk to him. If nothing works toss him or leave

Last edited:

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
a bad attitude can be more harmful than poor performance to a team

This right here!
You've obviously never had one of these douche bags on the team before. Its even worse when they're average or below.

Mine's well, well below average...... I've tried putting him everywhere, he tells me he's too good for that spot, then sucks profusely at it

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
Can, and normally is. Plus people that think they're better than they are can be annoying as hell if they're not quiet. We usually just give repetitive advice to those players until they hit the cutoff man.
Sadly, players of a that caliber seldom listen to others' advice.

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans

Exactly. Had "gods gifts" on a few different teams and every game it dropped the performance of the whole team a notch or 2. Not to mention having to play with 9 when they get tossed out

Maybe I just don't get it. Yes, this is supposed to be a fun, recreational sport but at the same time, everyone should strive to be the best player on the field or at least up to the same level as everyone else. I've came across people like that and they didn't come off as being "god's gifts" but like they were trying too hard and I noticed that those were usually the guys who would be scrutinized the most. The only time that I noticed it and it was a problem was when one guy was a hothead. He would brag about how he played in the minors and **** but when he would make mistakes, he would argue with people, argue with umps and get tossed from games sometimes.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
play him where he belongs. but if he's just being an *******. tell him to quit being an *******.

Redman

Maybe I just don't get it. Yes, this is supposed to be a fun, recreational sport but at the same time, everyone should strive to be the best player on the field or at least up to the same level as everyone else. I've came across people like that and they didn't come off as being "god's gifts" but like they were trying too hard and I noticed that those were usually the guys who would be scrutinized the most. The only time that I noticed it and it was a problem was when one guy was a hothead. He would brag about how he played in the minors and **** but when he would make mistakes, he would argue with people, argue with umps and get tossed from games sometimes.

Yeah, its just ****ty for the whole team. Blaming other players for dropped balls bad relay positions when the throw was off line, the list could go on forever. You'd know if you've seen it. Hotheads are fine as long as they don't drag the whole team down.

Softball101tc

Addicted to Softballfans
How do you deal with a guy that thinks he is gods gift to softball? I need to deflate his head. This guy has slightly above average skills but already thinks he belongs in the HOF. Tired of it! I would love to put him batting 11th at the DH only position or Catcher for a game but he would cry and bring everybody down. I know just get rid of him BUT...... We play in a league in Iowa and don't have many players available for replacement if I dusted him.

*fingers crossed this is cheato!!!

Fuzz

Extra Hitter

If we have a problem like that we'll do a practice we will give you 5 balls if you can't hit the base (this is usually for the home plate throwing heros) then your hitting the cutoff.

We'll also throw you 10 pitches if you can't hit 7-8 out then your butt better be keeping the ball down & quit doing warning track flyouts.

Little dose of humility works wonders