Demarini White Steel Warranty Class Action

shorel

Addicted to Softballfans
every once in a while I scan PACER for interesting new softball-related lawsuits, and every once in a longer while I find something interesting. So here's something:

A purported class action filed in federal court in Santa Ana, California, last December 23, against the defunct Demarini (which apparently no longer exists as a corporate entity) and its corporate owner, Wilson (Merry Christmas, Demarini!), alleges that Demarini sold defective White Steel bats but refused to honor warranties in 2015. The named plaintiffs are Hiroyaki Oda and Corey Roth. Both claim that they purchased White Steels from authorized online dealers: Mr. Oda from hq4sports.com for $189.95 in May, 2015; Mr. Roth from amazon.com for $229.95 in January, 2015. Mr. Oda says his bat cracked the first time he used it; Mr. Roth says his bat lasted three games.

Mr. Oda lives in Santa Ana. Mr. Roth lives in Rancho Santa Margarita, and plays ball in Irvine. Does anyone know if these guys are board members?

The lawsuit says each plaintiff called Demarini customer service many times, presumably to obtain a RMA, but that Demarini said “that they would not refund his money, would not replace the bat with another White Steel and would not give him store credit with which to purchase another DeMarini Softball Bat.” I puzzled over this, since I cannot remember a lot of complaints about Demarini customer service on this website. Doesn't mean there haven't been any, but if this was really a major issue, I think I'd have heard about it here. Read carefully, that allegation doesn’t amount to much: bat companies don’t promise store credit, and given that the particular model they bought is discontinued, they can’t replace like with like exactly. But then I saw a footnote in the Complaint that suggests what really happened here: “DeMarini refuses to repair, replace provide store credit or refund the full retail price of the Softball Bats. Instead, in direct contravention of its warranty, DeMarini offers consumers non-comparable bats that are not designed or allowed to be used (i.e. are illegal) in Plaintiffs' softball leagues.” Talk about burying the lead. The complaint offers no further details on this allegation, which I personally find a little dubious. Since the White Steel is specifically marketed for single-wall leagues, I am skeptical that Demarini would offer bats that are not legal in single-wall leagues as warranty replacements. I’m not disparaging the plaintiffs’ lawyers – they seem like a real firm – but why put an important detail in a footnote? Which, by the way, Wilson denies.

The complaint also alleges, “upon information and belief,” that the bat barrel is not really made of steel, but of “a weaker metal with a higher rate of failure (crack, bend and flatten)” that enabled Demarini to charge a higher price. This, say the plaintiffs, was fraud. Well, technically, a violation of a California consumer protection law. Two comments. First, how you can make an allegation like that “upon information and belief,” relying purely on the subjective thoughts of two plaintiffs who are not alleged to have any expertise in metallurgy? Second, given the warranty policy, and the success of the bat, it would not seem to be a cost-effective strategy for Demarini to engage in such chicanery, because they'd effectively be selling two bats for the price of one.

The complaint claims it is deceptive for Demarini to stamp “Oregon” on its bats, because the bats are actually manufactured somewhere else.

Somewhat amusingly, the complaint claims that Demarini’s fairly standard puffery that they are “insanely dedicated to quality” also amounts to fraud, as does their other puffery about their bats’ quality. And, the complaint alleges that the bats are defective and Demarini should have warned the public about this. Do I really need to explain on this board how silly this is? That’s why bats come with warranties. The complaint suggests, without any actual particularized factual allegations of danger, let alone injury, that the bats are somehow dangerous. All the complaint says is that “the potential for the Softball Bats to bend, flatten, and/or crack while playing softball undoubtedly presents a substantial danger to consumers.” An adverb (“undoubtedly”) is not a substitute for evidence, or even a plausible factual allegation. The lack of specifics makes such a claim incredible.

The lawsuit’s title is Oda v. Demarini Sports Inc., Case No. 8:15-cv-02131-JLS-JCG (the initials are those of the judge who will make substantive decisions and the magistrate who will decide more routine matters). Complaint is too long to upload as separate jpeg's (39 pp) but I can send as a searchable pdf to anyone who wants.

Oh and did I mention, the suit seeks class action status on behalf of all similarly situated people (everyone in the entire country who bought a White Steel during the “Class Period,” which the complaint apparently intended to define but then does not due to typo in paragraph 51(a)), and seeks damages of at least $5 million.

Last edited:
Lmao demarini CS is no less than noble. They sent me new black ops bag because one of the two straps - straps - broke and said keep the old one... Which a shoemaker eventually just sewed up for me. All i wanted was a strap - they said your request is processed, sorry for any inconvenience. A week later i open my door and a gigantic box is blocking the doorway. This is nothing less than a well thought-out assault by moveon.org

erdy147

Addicted to Softballfans
Demarini CS has been great to me. I bought a new aluminum fast pitch bat for my niece online and when I opened it up it had a crack on the bottom (didn't get a receipt for it...was a good deal for a NOW bat). I call them and they replaced it with a cf4! Can't beat that!

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
I can hear the cry of the new national bird with this one. Used to be the American eagle, now it's the red-faced litigious warbler. Its cry sounds like, "I'll sue, I'll sue". :rolleyes:

fives55

Addicted to Softballfans
So, there was @ $400 involved, but it takes at least a $1000 to even talk to a lawyer, let alone have them file something. To softball guys, I guess it makes sense.

shorel

Addicted to Softballfans
The plaintiffs' lawyers are personal injury lawyers who typically work on contingency. Also they filed this as a class action and they expect to have fees awarded by the court.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Demarini is better than some, but they're not perfect.

My favorite was the guy that sent in the evo in with big vise gouges in the side and he was pissed they denied it.

shorel

Addicted to Softballfans

looks like Demarini denied one guy's return, he was very pissed, but the consensus on the thread was that Demarini was right and in general their CS is very good. And I saw no mentions of White Steels in that thread. and someone from Demarini came on and offered to send the guy's original receipt back.

but a class action? really? on what, a sample of two? and we do not have the whole story here, I think.

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
The plaintiffs' lawyers are personal injury lawyers who typically work on contingency. Also they filed this as a class action and they expect to have fees awarded by the court.

Like mosquitos that suck out blood from anything they can get their hands on, that's what lawyers are. Legalized extortion is their game, only ones as corrupt are politicians who are usually lawyers and unions.

Lucky

Addicted to Softballfans
Mitch McConnell says nothing will be done on this case until after the election.

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
Mitch McConnell says nothing will be done on this case until after the election.

Gee, do you think he's following the "Biden rule"?:rolleyes: Don't worry, we'll give a trigger warning and safe spaces here, we wouldn't want to ruin the narrative of this for you:sadwavey:

purefilthsoft

Wildcard bitches
I kinda understand why this case is happening. First there was obviously a problem with the last batch of steels they made. Then on top of that they stopped making them( probably due to the fact that there was a major durability issue with them). So now I have a bat that has cracked quick and there is no replacement for it. What I saw they were offering Two Ultimate Weapons as the replacement and that was your only option. It's nice they offered two bats for one but the Weapon is a far inferior bat to the steels and people felt they were being ripped off. I think that if they let them have the latest F-series bat or what ever their lowest level composite at the time as a replacement there would have been no issue. Especially knowing there was a issue with the bat. They chose to go the ultimate weapon direction and that made many people angry. I also don't think their C.S is at fault as that is a decision that obviously came from above.

shorel

Addicted to Softballfans
I kinda understand why this case is happening. First there was obviously a problem with the last batch of steels they made. Then on top of that they stopped making them( probably due to the fact that there was a major durability issue with them). So now I have a bat that has cracked quick and there is no replacement for it. What I saw they were offering Two Ultimate Weapons as the replacement and that was your only option. It's nice they offered two bats for one but the Weapon is a far inferior bat to the steels and people felt they were being ripped off. I think that if they let them have the latest F-series bat or what ever their lowest level composite at the time as a replacement there would have been no issue. Especially knowing there was a issue with the bat. They chose to go the ultimate weapon direction and that made many people angry. I also don't think their C.S is at fault as that is a decision that obviously came from above.

tx for interesting comment -- in fact that tells a better story than the complaint, which simply says Demarini refused to provide store credit, repair (a really silly allegation) or refund -- none of which are part of the warranty; and the complaint says that Demarini offered non-comparable bats that were not legal in plaintiffs' leagues. Said nothing about offering Ultimate Weapons. fwiw I have never swung a White Steel but for my money the UWE's were very good for use against real mush balls (Clincher F12). in any event, even if the UW's were not comparable, they could have sold two of them and recouped their investment in the White Steels. Same is likely true even if Demo offered them some other bat. So what's the real story here?

TrainWreck209

Hardcore since '84
They were probably offered any new line in any weight they wanted. Just so happens none are legal in their leagues beside the UW. So they are so butthurt they are suing?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
That would be my guess. And they over stated the widespread defect based on word of mouth. They probably know 3 other people this happened to.

The selling them is my only hang up though. Class action worthy? No, but i don't normally buy things to then have to try and sell them because the manu screwed the pooch.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
They were probably offered any new line in any weight they wanted. Just so happens none are legal in their leagues beside the UW. So they are so butthurt they are suing?

If you broke your AM or Future and sent it in and they only offered you a Corndog as a replacement you'd be pissed too.

TomicSquad13

Addicted to Softballfans
I think I saw 20 of last years White Steels break playing two nights a week over one season. It was pretty much one a game. The bat was as hot as my OG White Steel but it didn't last 100 swings.

I asked Demarini what my return options were and they initially offered to replace it with any of their 2014 line that was on sale for the same price as the MAP price of the WS (I choose the Mercy).

They got back to me about a week later and said it had to be MAP price to Map Price and my options were two Ultimate Weapons or the F7. Once I choose it took about a week to get the bat back.

SlapHappy

Addicted to Softballfans
I saw one of those WS last under 7 swings from a 150lb kid during BP hitting non-rocks. Split right down the barrel. Something was seriously wrong with the last couple years of WS.

TrainWreck209

Hardcore since '84
If you broke your AM or Future and sent it in and they only offered you a Corndog as a replacement you'd be pissed too.

They broke turds and were offered "better" bats, not a corndog. I wouldn't necessarily be pissed about a corndog either.

They got back to me about a week later and said it had to be MAP price to Map Price and my options were two Ultimate Weapons or the F7. Once I choose it took about a week to get the bat back.

Now this does suck.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you'd be pissed if you bought a 200 bat and got offered a corndog as a replacement when it broke in under 50 swings. They bought what is considered the best singlewall on the market, and then were offered either a bat they can't use which wasn't great to begin with, or two normally less durable turds. Again, I wouldn't sue over it, but it does pretty much suck.

TrainWreck209

Hardcore since '84
They can't use those "better" bats in the leagues out here

I know. I would like to assume they were offered returnable bats. Just sell that and get your money back.

I think you'd be pissed if you bought a 200 bat and got offered a corndog as a replacement when it broke in under 50 swings. They bought what is considered the best singlewall on the market, and then were offered either a bat they can't use which wasn't great to begin with, or two normally less durable turds. Again, I wouldn't sue over it, but it does pretty much suck.

Agreed.

TRaj2327

I'm pretty certain that the reason DeMarini discontinued the White Steel was the issues they had with quality on the bat. I'd consider this an excellent and responsible move on their part by recognizing a product they don't deem to be of their standards. My understanding is they have a new source for the barrels and the bat is returning later this year.

It is not DeMarini's fault that the league this guy plays in only allows single wall bats. DeMarini DOES offer other bats in that category and denying a return sounds more to me like the plaintiff wouldn't accept the other options. How can you warranty a bat with the same model if it no longer exists? Are they just expected to make a bat up out of thin air for that customer? What if in 2002 I bought a Camaro that was a lemon and the issues were discovered in 2003? Is Chevy supposed to make a one-off 2003 Camaro? Good luck with that. DeMarini has always offered a similar or another model, so whether it be a bat with a higher MAP, lower MAP, or the same, it would be hard for me to believe that they didn't try to do something to make it right based on their outstanding history.

I don't trust anyone that clearly supports a brand run by a buffoon as evidenced in that guys avatar. The douchnozzle running that company continues to look like an asshat on a regular basis and drive people away. The bats are nothing special and he's got an ego bigger than his small-man-syndromed frame. Napoleon complex is strong with that dumbass.

Last edited:

ntm1977

Addicted to Softballfans
I bought last years model it lasted about 20 swings then the whole end of the bat shattered I was playing in a single wall alloy league or mls. They said in November I either choose a sf7 -not allowed in my league or two ultimate weapons- found at walmart for $49 each or they told me I could kick rocks. The bat was less then 2 weeks old they wouldn't give me credit towards a bat I could use. The bat they sent me was a non warranty no return sf7. Basically told me that demarini sucks nuts I would have jumped on board a lawsuit also. You cant offer something in return that isn't as good

ntm1977

Addicted to Softballfans
They did say that the 2016 line would offer a new steel line but what I'm assuming is that they wanted a 2016 model in return but were told like me that their receipt would have expired and no warranty would be offered. I would have waited on a list for the 2016 model but wasn't offered that option.

shorel

Addicted to Softballfans
I bought last years model it lasted about 20 swings then the whole end of the bat shattered I was playing in a single wall alloy league or mls. They said in November I either choose a sf7 -not allowed in my league or two ultimate weapons- found at walmart for $49 each or they told me I could kick rocks. The bat was less then 2 weeks old they wouldn't give me credit towards a bat I could use. The bat they sent me was a non warranty no return sf7. Basically told me that demarini sucks nuts I would have jumped on board a lawsuit also. You cant offer something in return that isn't as good

when you say "the whole end of the bat shattered," did any parts of it physically come off it? if so, that might support the plaintiffs' otherwise unsupported claim that the bat's design and/or construction make it "dangerous."

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
when you say "the whole end of the bat shattered," did any parts of it physically come off it? if so, that might support the plaintiffs' otherwise unsupported claim that the bat's design and/or construction make it "dangerous."
We shattered a previous model of WS. Shard went by the pitcher's head. Never seen that happen with an aluminum alloy bat. But, then again, temps were in lower 50's ... below warranty and batter's name was "Big'un".

I've played in 3 different senior singlewall leagues, and the best bats BY FAR for the last 10 years have been the Steels. Plaintiffs obviously wanted a similarly-performing bat that was legal in their leagues. At that point there was none. DeMarini probably should have offered store credit toward a no-warranty bat just out of good customer service ... Even though they weren't obliged to. Credit could now be used to buy a new Raw Steel and keep customer in the DeMo family.