Derby Boys

Longball 28

Repping the Vinci
Have been swinging Easton for a few years now and got the orange Derby Boys from a buddy and its flat out sick. Its been called out a few times for a huge rattle that literally sounds like a silver dollar bouncing around from taper to endcap. I picked up the 2014, what are the differences between them?

ck1

The Madness
That silver dollar could be a nut breaking off from the endcap. There were some pics posted on facebook of combat endcaps and how combat does their endloads. The picture literally showed a bunch of nuts embedded in clear glue (epoxy?) on the inside of the endcap. I still can't believe it's true but it seems like a low tech, inexpensive but effective way to create an endloaded bat.

I am curious to hear more about this year's Derby Boys also, particularly the usssa version.

Last edited:

Longball 28

Repping the Vinci
Yeah I saw that pic and have heard that in the past. I would think you are right except the piece rattling around feels much heavier than one of those small nuts. It's a very definitive thump when you turn it over.

BOLTMAN21

Manager
That silver dollar could be a nut breaking off from the endcap. There were some pics posted on facebook of combat endcaps and how combat does their endloads. The picture literally showed a bunch of nuts embedded in clear glue (epoxy?) on the inside of the endcap. I still can't believe it's true but it seems like a low tech, inexpensive but effective way to create an endloaded bat.

I am curious to hear more about this year's Derby Boys also, particularly the usssa version.

They don't all have the nuts. My end cap flew off in my first bp session (what a surprise) and no nuts or bolts. Mine was 26 oz (26.4 scale). The chunk rattling might be the performance disc inside that is now off the ring. Which means that bat is fire but might blow up any day now.

ATL Rookie

Manager
The 2014 swings much the same as the 13 but is a little stiffer and takes a little more time to break in. It seems they got the disk issue resolved as the '14 line doesn't have nearly the problems with broken disks as the '13's did.

superfonzie

MILE HI HEEL'Billy
here are some pics of my brothers green derby trip /nsa boys,,, some kinda disc and dampener in the barrel ????

2yuas0j.jpg

2yvj5hh.jpg

2rmr4nn.jpg

2hgz421.jpg

2n6gp4y.jpg

took his apart last week as i wanted to see what the hell was broken off… any Combat guys can enlighten us as to what this is and what it does….

Super

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
That is the compression disk.
There is only like 6k threads discussing this topic.
I called and Combat fixed my DB..
Hell, if it were mine i would just put the cap back on and use it for showin off ;-)

ATL Rookie

Manager
One of very few instances of broken disks I have heard about in this year's line.

Without the disks it will be absolutely stupid for a few swings until it's in 2 pieces.

brhnz

Bombs .. Bombs Everywhere !
My DB's and Portents all suffered terminal failure , the disk didn't save them :) Barrels cracked to pieces

wdwlodge

Addicted to Softballfans
I remember when mine sounded like a maraca. That bat was sick! It didn't last much longer after that. A teammate of mine just had his orange derby boys crack and he is getting the 2014 version as his replacement. CS swears that the 2014 will be just as good once it is broken in. Another teammate of mine already has the 2014, I have swung it a few times in BP and it feels good. It is not game ready yet, but it does seem like it will be comparable to the 2013 orange version.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is the compression disk.
There is only like 6k threads discussing this topic.
I called and Combat fixed my DB..
Hell, if it were mine i would just put the cap back on and use it for showin off ;-)

I know there are 6K threads, but do we have a consensus on what these discs are for yet? TPS said they were so they could get the optimum performance without exceeding the standards. They also prevent rolling don't they?

Crazy Range

Addicted to Softballfans
The disc in my Orange last year broke after 100 swings. Lasted another 400 before breaking last week, the thing is retarded without the disc in it. I have this years DBA now. About 4-500 swings on it already with no issues, just one light tracking starting. Honestly it took about 300 hits to become my gamer

bigsmooth13

Manager
I know there are 6K threads, but do we have a consensus on what these discs are for yet? TPS said they were so they could get the optimum performance without exceeding the standards. They also prevent rolling don't they?

All the disc does it prevent the barrel from flexing too much upon contact with the ball. It gives you optimal allowed performance without exceeding the legal limit. As for the rolling side of it, I have no clue but I see your point.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think people have been rolling Combats for some time, but I seem to remember a few people rolling the Z's when they first came out with the discs and it crushes the discs and makes the bat basically unusable. I think most were mocked so badly they deleted the threads so I can't remember what the users said happened after they'd done it. :D

Longball 28

Repping the Vinci
Ok so took the wrapper off the new 2014 Derby Boys and first ball was a liner to right. Second was off the fence, definitely feels stiff but think once it breaks in it will be as good as the 2013... Only issue is after about 12 swings it's already getting a rattle....

Flyman

GEAUX TIGERS!!
The '14 model I have is pretty nice. I haven't hit it yet (aside from in the cages when I first got it), but the guys on my team who do hit it have gotten some nice shots out of it. I won't be surprised if it's just as good as my orange DBAs.