Difference in Mizuno Glove Series

TexasTransplant

Addicted to Softballfans
I am looking at a Mizuno catalog and see four series of gloves designated for Slowpitch softball. They are, in ascending order by price as follows:

Premier
Franchise
MVP
MVP Prime SE

Could one of you experts tell me the basic differences in these series? They all seem to be available in a range of sizes. I would be interested in a 14" model to replace my aging Vinci BR-45. Ease of break-in is not an issue; I've always had better luck with a stiffer glove, even though it might take longer to bring around to game-ready condition.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Personally, I wouldn't start below the MVP series. The material and overall construction is better than anything lower than that. The Premier and Franchise are basically game ready in 5 minutes and won't hold their shape. I would even consider it a safety issue if someone is fielding at third base with tournament players smashing at the corner. I've seen batted balls bend the finger tips back and out of the glove once those real cheap models are completely broken in. Shop around for the MVP since they can be had for much less than retail (this actually holds true for almost all levels of gloves). The MVP SE are basically just the extra color combos.

TexasTransplant

Addicted to Softballfans
Personally, I wouldn't start below the MVP series. The material and overall construction is better than anything lower than that. The Premier and Franchise are basically game ready in 5 minutes and won't hold their shape. I would even consider it a safety issue if someone is fielding at third base with tournament players smashing at the corner. I've seen batted balls bend the finger tips back and out of the glove once those real cheap models are completely broken in. Shop around for the MVP since they can be had for much less than retail (this actually holds true for almost all levels of gloves). The MVP SE are basically just the extra color combos.

Thanks for the input. I guess I will wait for another Vinci.

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
I'll take this a step further....regarding the Global Elite (and VOP) line...I know they are not the same level of Mizuno Pro Limited's but they are pretty decent mid-high end gloves yes?

I think it's funny that a Global Elite is good enough for Corey Kluber but not a bunch of dudes on a softball forum. Ian Desmond uses an MVP Prime FFS.

I'm just as guilty, I've been eyeing a GGE71VAXOBK for months now and can't seem to pull the trigger.

edvedsfb

Addicted to Softballfans
Global Elites are very good quality gloves, I have the GGE70. I also own a Classic Pro which I love and the MVP SE softball 13in.

Of those mentioned in the OP the MVP is as low as I would go. They may not go all the way up to 14 but the quality is okay for what they can be had for. I like my MVP but it is considerably lower quality than my GE and Classic Pro. However, just for league use it's a good option.

DatDuke

Had a MVP SE once purchased from SA when they were 50% off @ $60. didnt like it cause it has too much padding in the hand stall, the leader is OK, it will break in quick, a little bit stiffer than a new GG Gamer. Sold it on Ebay for $90. less $9 fees. if you are going to spend $100-$150 on a glove, look for a lightly used Global Elite, or a Well Loved Pro Limited.

I will never spend $500 on a new Pro Limited even with its re-condition program. If its a Custom Made In Japan, well ...

MaverickAH

Thanks for the input. I guess I will wait for another Vinci.

Now you're on the right track! Actually I'd take it a step further.........

Your BR-45 is vastly superior to the gloves on your list. You don't say exactly how old your Vinci is (pics would help) but the first thing I'd do if I were you is to consider sending it in for a total re-lace & reconditioning. You'll be surprised at how much this'll bring your glove back to life. The cost of doing this is just a bit more than the cheapest glove on your list & it a more cost effective option.

TexasTransplant

Addicted to Softballfans
Now you're on the right track! Actually I'd take it a step further.........

Your BR-45 is vastly superior to the gloves on your list. You don't say exactly how old your Vinci is (pics would help) but the first thing I'd do if I were you is to consider sending it in for a total re-lace & reconditioning. You'll be surprised at how much this'll bring your glove back to life. The cost of doing this is just a bit more than the cheapest glove on your list & it a more cost effective option.

The Vinci is about 10 years old. The glove is still functional, but the inner lining is beginning to wear out. Any idea where I might get that fixed -- if that's possible? (BTW, I have another Vinci, which was designated BR-45s, but the leather is different and it's just never broken in the same way as the older one. Somehow the pocket doesn't seem as big.)

I was only looking at the Mizunos because I had an opportunity to pick one up for next to nothing.