Dilemma

Camoninja

Addicted to Softballfans
I've sold a couple things to make room for a custom PP 303 or a custom Glovesmith Usa 13 Open Back... I'm really up in the air about this one. I know the 303 will be right close to 12.75 and the Glovesmith 12 7/8 so there's not a ton of difference in length. Does any one know what pattern the glovesmith will play like? say a 1799, 302, 303, etc?

floz00

Addicted to Softballfans
Have you considered the 302 pattern?
I have a Custom 302 and like it a lot more than any 303 I've owned.
I have never liked any of the Glovesmith patterns I've tried...

Soxfan8

Starting Player
Why did you like the 302 better? I have a couple 303s, but have never had the chance to try a 302. My understanding is that the 302 pattern is narrower than the 303. I'd like to get a new custom, and a Rawlings pattern with a deeper pocket would be nice.

Quote:

Have you considered the 302 pattern?
I have a Custom 302 and like it a lot more than any 303 I've owned.
I have never liked any of the Glovesmith patterns I've tried...

Last edited:

floz00

Addicted to Softballfans
From my experience, the 302 plays shorter and wider than a 303...
That's just my experience...they also have larger pockets for softball as well.
Again others can certainly differ, but that is my experience.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I have not had an open back GS1300, but, from pics and my discussions with Bart, it looks to be similar to the 302 (more similar than to a 303).

Here is a pic of a GS1300 with my Nokona AMG1275. The GS isn't any longer, but is a bit deeper. The Nokona was about the same size as a 302 until I loosed up the laces. I debated whether to get a closed back 1300, the open back or the 1250USA, but finally went with the closed back version. It is currently being made. Bart told me that of them all, the open back 1300 is the narrowest and the closed back is the widest and I seem to be needing ever more room for error. That being said, the open back 1300 measures a bit wider than my 302 and with a custom web, you could get it to play much wider.

And a 302 and 504 with ball. The 302 and the GS are pretty similar.

Last edited:

Jomatty

Starting Player
I've never had a 302 but opinions seem really split on 302 vs 303. Some seem to think 302 is wider and deeper and some say 302 is narrower. What have you guys found the difference to be?

Camoninja

Addicted to Softballfans
This is my custom 302. I'm Looking for something that will play just a little longer as my 302 just barely comes close to 12.5 with a tape on it.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
My 302 is just under 12 1/2". My guess is that the GS1300OB is going to tape out about 1/4" longer than the 302 (so just under 12 3/4").

Camoninja

Addicted to Softballfans
^^^ not at all. I just put in my order for a 13in open back usa in DT black and DT gray... I'll be more then happy as long as the quality and feel are on par with my 1225usa.

stlsnappers

Albino Electrician
If anyone else is looking for a Custom USA I can save ya a couple bucks ans I live about 2 miles from Glovesmith headquarters.

Camoninja

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm ready to see mine. After adding get width to the Web and adjusting somethings I'm sure my glovesmith will be my gamers. Now the wait begins. The website said 2 weeks right now but I'm gonna bet 4 weeks out.